“Clean and safe”
Review of The Heron Portico

The Heron Portico
Ranked #8 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of a safari trip to East Africa for some budget rest and relaxation. The rooms were extremely clean with nice hot showers. Breakfast in the morning was pleasant and the restaurant excellent. Most importantly we felt safe at all
Times here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we take immense pride in the fact that we work to make our guests feel at home. Feedback like this motivates the entire team to perform even better and more efficiently.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was recommended this hotel but was very disappointing. Paying 150USD a night for rooms without A/C is too much.
The food in the restaurant was poor and the one evening I ordered a Fajita and was served a plate of watery chicken and peppers in a bowl. When I told them this was not a fajita they disputed it. I Googled a picture for them and the chef had the cheek to come to the table and tell me is was a Mediterranean version!!! I informed him that it was a Mexican dish and having lived in the Mediterranean for 20 years I think i may have seen it!!
I told them i didn't want any more of this rubbish. My 2 other guests also had issues. One ordered breaded chicken. It said 4 on the menu but they served 3 and took 45 minutes to bring the other one. My other guest ordered fish fillet with potatoes and got fillet steak with rice!!!
They then had the nerve to present me, having seen the Google picture, with their version of a fajita but they didn't have tortillas so wrapped part of the chicken mess in an Indian paratha. Amazing. I will never go to this place again. Sarova Panafric across the way is a far better option.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have A/C so look elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin C
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your visit.

It is extremely disappointing to know that we did not match your expectations. I am thankful that you spared time to speak to our Duty Manager and explained to him the points in details. I assure you that we have already started working on the things that we missed out on. As promised to you, you will notice a difference in service levels the next time you visit the hotel.

May I request you to treat this as an isolated incident. Please do not let this obstruct your faith in us. I look forward meeting you in future. Please do write to me at gm@heronhotel.com the next time you plan your visit to Nairobi.

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here before starting a tour. I was a little nervous arriving in Nairobi as a single female traveller but the staff at the Heron made me feel welcome and safe. They organised my transfers and took care of all my travel needs.

The staff were very friendly and the rooms were big and clean. And most importantly before going into the wilderness, the wifi was fast and worked well.

The restaurant was fast and reasonably priced. Great buffet breakfast the next day!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank AmesAbout
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback and I am glad to note you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the The Heron Portico in near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was in Nairobi for a couple of nights between safaris's and joining an overland trip with Dragoman. I chose this hotel after reading a review on Tripadvisor. It suggested I stayed here rather than staying at the Kivi Millimani Hotel next door where one of my trips started. I was glad I heeded that advice! In all I stayed here for 3 nights, all one night at a time over 2 weeks. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. The food was good although not art nouveau cuisine. There was plenty of space in my room and most importantly..............I slept like a log in a comfortable bed.

This is not a top of the range hotel, but they do exactly what they say they will do very well. Perfect for me and my budget.

If you are going on an overland trip starting or finishing in Nairobi then this is a great hotel for you to stay in and you can walk to the Kivi Millimani hotel if you need to.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at The Heron Portico,Nairobi.

We are very happy to know that you had a memorable stay and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here for three nights before heading to the Masai Mara on safari. We had two rooms - a double and a twin. The double room was at the beginning of the corridor and was huge! Lovely, large double bed, 2 armchairs, coffee table, desk, mini bar, and a lovely clean bathroom. The twin room was the next one in and was much smaller - just the two single beds, a small desk, but still had a mini bar and a nice bathroom, and was perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, there was a very well-equipped gym and a lovely outdoor pool. If I had any quibble, it would be the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms. However, there was an electric fan which was adequate. I would definitely stay in The Heron again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the corridors seem to be larger.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasant feeling to know that we were able to meet expectations of our guests every time they stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit with us and hope to see you soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here for a night after climbing Kilimanjaro. We thought the hotel was very nice, great staff, clean, modern. The breakfast buffet was delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly. The Wifi was also strong. We recommend the hotel for a short stay, especially after a long mountain climb in the wilderness.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you for taking time to write down the review and sharing it with fellow travelers.

Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts.

Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed four nights at this hotel and found it to be what we were expecting. Our end of hall room was spacious, and being at the back of the hotel, very quiet. Staff were as helpful as possible, although front desk staff was lacking somewhat in local knowledge. Food in the restaurant was fine, and reasonably priced. Hotel is located about a 20 min walk to central area, or an 800 kes taxi ride.

Room Tip: Back of hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Smarthotel11, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your experience at The Heron Portico, Nairobi.

I am glad you left with a positive impression of our staff, restaurants and the hotel at large.

Your kind words of appreciation shall be conveyed to my team for whom they will be a tremendous source of inspiration. The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,