“Good value and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

The Heron Portico
Ranked #13 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Canberra, Australia
“Good value and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided to stay at The Heron based on poor reports of the nearby Kivi (that wasn't so bad as reviews we'd read) where we were booked in prior to starting a safari with Intrepid and overall positive reports of The Heron. We made our booking well ahead and found David very efficient in replying to emails. Somehow our pick-up at the airport didn't happen but that was easily rectified by hiring a taxi. We found the staff friendly and helpful, the standard room was a comfortable size, very clean and nicely furnished while the little trouble with the plumbing was soon rectified. We didn't notice any air con. so it may be hot during the hot weather. We found the breakfast (included) was a good standard with more than sufficient variety for a 3 and a half star hotel. I see some complaints in other reviews about the serving staff but we had none of concern. I was told that serving time for meals in Nairobi could be painfully long but we never had that problem in the restaurant. The coffee shop was sometimes slow on meals but not so bad and considering it isn't usually busy with customers apart for drinks, then I can understand why there is only a small staff. We also found during our total of 7 nights stay, including in between trips, we enjoyed a variety of excellent meals in the restaurant. Overall we were very happy with our stays at the Heron and liked the decor and atmosphere. Leaving bags in between trips of 2 weeks duration was no problem. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the pool and it's pleasant surrounds. Just make sure someone has the key for the change rooms. If ever we return to Nairobi then we would certainly stay at The Heron again. It's a convenient 15 plus minutes walk or short taxi ride into the CBD if you want to go shopping or to another restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lift. Rooms with views to the front and over the road are nicer and traffic noi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Heron Hotel during a week long conference and business trip. The hotel is ideally located if you are looking to avoid the massive traffic jams leading into the BDC of Nairobi. Nairobi traffic can be very bad.

The rooms are nice, modern and have all ameneties any business traveller might be looking for. Reception staff are friendly and helpfull.

The restaurant is average by any standards. Breakfast is very mediocre and restaurant service was very slow and uncoordinated. It took 3 waiters to get me a fork, a knife, service and they still got my order wrong! clearly there is a lack of supervision or training there. The a la carte menu is ok but nothing to wrtie home about. Room service is ok.

The room stewards are very friendly yet slightly slow on the information intake. Cleaning standards are ad hock. One day the toilet paper is there....the other day its gone...Same with the shampoo and soap.

In all I enjoyed my stay and since the location is very business inducive I will return but hope to see improved guest service.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms as the back rooms are smaller.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here one night, during our safari trip with Eyes on Africa Safaris (which is a company we do not recommend booking with!). The hotel is spacious, pretty, well secured, and rooms are spacious and really clean. Our room was on the first floor with a big bed, a living space area (very nice, with two seats and a large flatscreen tv), large bathroom with bath and shower, large closet for clothes, and minibar. There is free wifi available, which works well (though connection might be lost several times, but after logging in again, you can surf the web again). Staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining how to get to places. Staff in restaurant was less on top of things, but still nice. Food in the restaurant (dinner time) was good and we enjoyed the terrace where you can have dinner. We had a kenyan burger with spicy chicken and avocado, and a beef dish. Both tasted very good. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice: cereals, breads, pancakes, eggs freshly baked for you, fruits etc. If ever going to Nairobi again, I would definitely stay here again. Compared to other hotels in the city, the value for money is also pretty good here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We decided to stay here because it was next door to the Kivi Millmani Hotel the starting base of our Intrepid Safari. The trip advisor reviews of Kivi convinced us to stay somewhere better.
We stayed 4 nights at the Heron , we picked up a hotel transfer and at check in the reception staff were friendly and hotel is decent. Hospitality staff are friendly and helpful.
The downside and there are a few: breakfast is mediocre (stay away from the eggs), bathroom has mould and the water pressure was poor additionally the walls are paper thin on two nights I listened to my neighbours TV and romantic moments.
However the worst aspect of staying at the Heron is theft.......originally booked for 3 nights because I had pre-paid accommodation at the Kivi I left my luggage in the luggage room I visited the Kivi and decided to book a further night at the Heron. On the same day I booked a tour of Keibra and did not want to carry the safari kitty to a slum area so I locked the kitty funds in my backpack, the total amount was USD$800 that night when I met my tour group I am missing USD$120 and could not pay the full kitty - I was happy that the full amount was not taken but had to run around Nairobi with a cab to replace the kitty funds stolen.
We searched our entire luggage and my since I counted my funds the day before ( I brought US dollars for specific purpose ) the funds were stolen while our bags were in the luggage room or within our room. In the morning I mentioned this to the reception staff but we did not have time to get a proper reply. Sadly and inadvertently, I had booked an additional night at the Heron which I had pre-paid prior to discovering the theft.
After my safari I stayed at the Fairview but had overbook a night at the Heron so I cancelled more than 24 hours before by was informed by the Manager (David) that cancellation policy is 48 hours and not due a refund though the T&C’s are not on the website, I requested a copy of the T&C’s which David has failed to supply.
Most of the Hotels in Nairobi have a 24 hour cancellation policy however the Heron has 48 Hours but nowhere in writing. So the Hilton, Fairview etc 24 hour cancellation policy.

So I would not recommend staying at the Heron - for a bit of extra money stay at the Fairview, it has excellent grounds, breakfast is 5 star quality, rooms are spotless and comfortable, proper water pressure , super friendly staff......... the Fairview is a 4 star hotel with 5 star service.
So avoid Heron there are plenty of good quality alternatives in Nairobi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helen K
Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After staying for five days I found the Heron to have well equipped standard rooms with comfortable beds, a good desk, reliable wifi and an good if limited choice of TV channels.

The Bar, dining room and coffee shop were all attractive, but ruined by the clear problem of inadequately trained serving staff. In the case of the coffee shop there was also a lack of sufficient waiters and short order cooks, whilst there were excessive but badly organized bodies in the main dining room. I suggest that the hotel should look to recruit a short term advisor to retrain the front of house, and advise the management to dismiss supervisory staff unwilling to "get with the programme". I suspect that much of the problem comes from the places historic reputation as a "hire rooms by the hour" establishment.

Room Tip: No comment about room location
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

here on business and i was very happy. great location, the rooms were fab and i found it good value for money. the internet was good and the food was good. i found the service a little slow at times but nothing that would have dampened by stay there. i will go back as i really do like the location of the property.

Room Tip: rooms facing the road are better especially corner rooms as they are bigger
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kckenya
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed one night upon arrival in Nairobi and before joining our overland tour from nearby kivi milimani. We took the advice of other reviewers who suggested this place in lieu of an extra night at the kivi - and we are glad we did. It was only slightly more expensive but astronomically better. We found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. We had just arrived from a 27 hour flight so we had dinner in the restaurant and contrary to what others wrote, the meal was quite good and served in a reasonable punt of time. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012