“Theft at The Heron”
Review of The Heron Portico

The Heron Portico
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We decided to stay here because it was next door to the Kivi Millmani Hotel the starting base of our Intrepid Safari. The trip advisor reviews of Kivi convinced us to stay somewhere better.
We stayed 4 nights at the Heron , we picked up a hotel transfer and at check in the reception staff were friendly and hotel is decent. Hospitality staff are friendly and helpful.
The downside and there are a few: breakfast is mediocre (stay away from the eggs), bathroom has mould and the water pressure was poor additionally the walls are paper thin on two nights I listened to my neighbours TV and romantic moments.
However the worst aspect of staying at the Heron is theft.......originally booked for 3 nights because I had pre-paid accommodation at the Kivi I left my luggage in the luggage room I visited the Kivi and decided to book a further night at the Heron. On the same day I booked a tour of Keibra and did not want to carry the safari kitty to a slum area so I locked the kitty funds in my backpack, the total amount was USD$800 that night when I met my tour group I am missing USD$120 and could not pay the full kitty - I was happy that the full amount was not taken but had to run around Nairobi with a cab to replace the kitty funds stolen.
We searched our entire luggage and my since I counted my funds the day before ( I brought US dollars for specific purpose ) the funds were stolen while our bags were in the luggage room or within our room. In the morning I mentioned this to the reception staff but we did not have time to get a proper reply. Sadly and inadvertently, I had booked an additional night at the Heron which I had pre-paid prior to discovering the theft.
After my safari I stayed at the Fairview but had overbook a night at the Heron so I cancelled more than 24 hours before by was informed by the Manager (David) that cancellation policy is 48 hours and not due a refund though the T&C’s are not on the website, I requested a copy of the T&C’s which David has failed to supply.
Most of the Hotels in Nairobi have a 24 hour cancellation policy however the Heron has 48 Hours but nowhere in writing. So the Hilton, Fairview etc 24 hour cancellation policy.

So I would not recommend staying at the Heron - for a bit of extra money stay at the Fairview, it has excellent grounds, breakfast is 5 star quality, rooms are spotless and comfortable, proper water pressure , super friendly staff......... the Fairview is a 4 star hotel with 5 star service.
So avoid Heron there are plenty of good quality alternatives in Nairobi.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helen K

Reviewed September 24, 2012

After staying for five days I found the Heron to have well equipped standard rooms with comfortable beds, a good desk, reliable wifi and an good if limited choice of TV channels.

The Bar, dining room and coffee shop were all attractive, but ruined by the clear problem of inadequately trained serving staff. In the case of the coffee shop there was also a lack of sufficient waiters and short order cooks, whilst there were excessive but badly organized bodies in the main dining room. I suggest that the hotel should look to recruit a short term advisor to retrain the front of house, and advise the management to dismiss supervisory staff unwilling to "get with the programme". I suspect that much of the problem comes from the places historic reputation as a "hire rooms by the hour" establishment.

Room Tip: No comment about room location
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2012

here on business and i was very happy. great location, the rooms were fab and i found it good value for money. the internet was good and the food was good. i found the service a little slow at times but nothing that would have dampened by stay there. i will go back as i really do like the location of the property.

Room Tip: rooms facing the road are better especially corner rooms as they are bigger
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kckenya
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed one night upon arrival in Nairobi and before joining our overland tour from nearby kivi milimani. We took the advice of other reviewers who suggested this place in lieu of an extra night at the kivi - and we are glad we did. It was only slightly more expensive but astronomically better. We found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. We had just arrived from a 27 hour flight so we had dinner in the restaurant and contrary to what others wrote, the meal was quite good and served in a reasonable punt of time. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank ug97
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Close to downtown, friendly staff, quiet location, clean comfortable rooms, I would stay here again. Really poor resturant unfortunatly, service is really poor and the food is tasteless, assuming you get what you ordered.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank hereford731
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We arrived in Nairobi on a flight where the plane missed the run way and got bogged in the mud, so we were bussed to the terminal and waited for hours to get our luggage. The Heron Hotel was a comfortable, calm retreat from the Nairobi mayhem. Our room was comfortable and mostly quiet although there were the happy sounds of children playing and singing from the adjacent school. The staff were friendly and helpful, the meals were good. The hotel is not in the middle of the shopping or business district, but not far away however the staff recommend taking a taxi rather than walking. We did take a walk- there are no real pavements, and the traffic is horrendous! In the Heron Hotel you were sheltered in the lush treed environment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janine F
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I do travel through Nairobi quite often for business and leisure.

So fare I haven’t found a better place to stay at concerning value for money, location, parking, stuff…

Positioned in quiet area of town but convenient as located on walking distance to city centre.

Recently they did major renovation on all their rooms plus added fantastic gym and sauna. Besides that they have all the facilities of modern hotel like conference centre, internet store, boutique, hair dresser, swimming pool and 2 restaurants both with garden view.

There is a safari operator located near by their reception EyesOnAfricaSafaris[dot]com, who can take care for all your safari needs from short city tours to all round East-African expeditions.

Welcome to Nairobi!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are good enough! If you prefer open plan rooms with small kitchen and leaving area t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business