“Make sure about breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Heron Portico

The Heron Portico
Ranked #4 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Mahe Island, Seychelles
“Make sure about breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Finding a good, clean and afforable place in Nairobi is difficult. The city is notorious for its overpriced dumps. The Heron is a fresh breather amidst all the dust and bustle and traffic jams typical of Nairobi. A real gem and because of its proximity easy to get to the airport.
On arrival I asked if breakfast was included in the price and if possible to deduct it from my account as I had to leave at 6 in the morning to catch an early flight. I was assured that breakfast would be served at 5:30 and was told that they do cater for all their customers and could trust them that breakfast would be served promptly.
The next morning I arrived at 5:30 to a cold, dark diningroom with no-one in sight. I went to the front desk and the clerk got on the phone and organised something but I was kept in the dark as to what. A security officer arrived and some more phone calls were made but needless to say that by 6 when my taxi arrived the diningroom was still dark and empty. I asked again if I was being refunded for breakfast and they told me to be patient because they will make sure I get my breakfast. I am still waiting.....A cup of coffee would have sufficed.
Would I stay there again? For sure! But next time I will make sure the chef gets a wake-up call too!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kaboekaki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Slovak first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in early Feb with my partner and child , the hotel staff were friendly and helpful as its not easy travelling with a child under two (Thank you all) the food Breakfast was fine and the rooms clean, Location is good, just outside the city centre but within easy walking distance and security provided an enjoyable introduction to Kenya

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

The Kivi Milimani Hotel was the start and end point after an (excellent) Intrepid trip. (Don't bother staying there unless you have to). The Kivi was booked out on my last night in Nairobi, so I had to find somewhere else...

After several frustrating attempts at the Kivi, of trying to use the internet and telephone to book another hotel...I gave up! I decided to walk into town and make a booking face-to-face at the Stanley. However, a 100m down the road I noticed The Heron...

Although the Kivi is practically next door (and in a similar price range) they are worlds apart! The guy at reception was helpful and friendly. He probably thought it was a bit weird that a stressed-out muzungu walked in off the street and booked a room for the following night!

I arrived the next day before check-in, so they stored my bags and I walked into town. The city is a 10-15 minute walk away - go out past the security gates and guard - turn left and keep walking...easy. As a solo female, I felt completely safe on Milivani Road during the day. I would be more cautious walking past the parks in the evening. Also remember NOT to speak to ANYONE that approaches you...unless you are up for a con!

The room was clean and cool. The furnishings were nicely put together. I had dinner and breakfast the hotel, both of which were of a good standard. The wait staff were very professional.

I had an evening flight so arranged for a late check out (6pm), and I just lazed around the hotel. The gift shop/business centre sells snack food, and internet was fast and relatively cheap. Watching movies in my room was pleasant and relaxing way to spend the afternoon before my flight. The taxi driver at the hotel was also friendly and professional.

Next time I'm back in Nairobi, I will definitely stay at The Heron.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Dubwah
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

I enjoyed my 2 week stay here. The staff were generally helpful, the service was good and my room was always nicely cleaned. A decent albeit slightly overpriced restaurant is attached with options for room service (with surcharge). Down points were that the laundry service lost one of my shirts although they did try to put this right. Some days I didn't want housekeeping to clean my room so I put my 'do not disturb' note up - house keeping still asked if I wanted service - whilst they were just trying to be helpful this did get on my nerves a bit! There is internet access but only via cable rather than wireless.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

In a city with a seeming shortage of hotel rooms in the Upper Hill, Hurlingham, Lavington area, this one is a winner. Quiet, clean rooms, with attentive service, a full service restaurant, and easy access to the Upper Hill, Hurlingham, Lavington areas of the city. I've been to Nairobi five times in the past six months and consistently have trouble finding a hotel or guest house that has decent food, reasonably comfortable beds, and gives me the assurance I am safe when traveling alone. The Heron Hotel did all of that.... the one drawback is that there is no wifi service in the rooms: there is a business center with Internet access on the main level, but that is not nearly as convenient. The wireless modems offered by the major cell phone networks work fine, but they are certainly more of a hassle. Given the lack of clean, affordable hotels in this part of the city, it was a compromise I was willing to make.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ulm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Heron Hotel is a good place to stay if you need to be on upper Hill and Fairview is fully booked. Rooms are OK, clean, well furnished and the Service is fine. The difference between deluxe and executive rooms is nearly not existing, so take the cheaper option.
The Hotel Restaurant is not that recommendable. Breakfast is a low quality buffet and not comparable to the feast of fresh options other Hotels offer. I will be back in Heron in October and think its a good place to stay if you don't look for something fancy but a safe and quite place to sleep.
Internet and digital TV are available and of good service level taking into account that we are in central Africa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Merckens
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

At the suggestion of Laura, from TravelPlanKenya, we stayed two nights in the Heron Hotel to allow us a good night's sleep on arrival, a day out in Nairobi, and another good night's sleep before heading off, fully refreshed, on Safari with our Eyes on Africa driver/guide. A good idea in more ways than one as it had the desired effect of peaceful rest, of 'acclimatising' us before safari, and, because one of our suitcases missed our KLM flight, we were able to have it delivered to the hotel the next day.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and with Eyes On Africa Safaris having on office next to reception, we were well informed and organised about our future arrangements. The Superior Suite we stayed in was quite spectacular in size and design, was clean, well maintained, and all services worked well, including the hotel's modern lifts used to reach it if we required.

The Heron hotel allows a choice of dining venues and styles, has a well stocked shop (with reasonable prices), and clean and pleasant outdoor pool and sitting area. The food we had was good quality and reasonably priced, as were the drinks. Restaurant service was very friendly yet courteous, and was our introduction to the charming nature of the Kenyan people. Breakfast was a feast of international choice, with an abundance of fresh local produce and juices. One benefit for us tea drinkers in Kenya is the availibilty of good quality tea, made properly with boiling water!

The location of the Heron Hotel doesn't allow for a particularly pleasant stroll into town, but it does allow quite effective access (20min) to/from the airport and to/from day trips such as the Karen Blixen Museum, Langatte Giraffe Sanctuary, Sheldrick elephant orphanage, and Nairobi NP.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Heron Hotel, giving us a taste of luxury of a bygone age but with modern faccilities and standards of hygiene. With great food and friendly and professional service, the Heron Hotel has a winning recipe, and provides an oasis of calm in Nairobi's hectic choas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business