“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
London
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

To be honest I would find great difficulty to find fault with House of Waine except to say that if you want a city centre hotel - this isn't it but it IS perfect for a quiet rest away from the hustle & bustle of the city (my main reason for choosing it!). As a solo traveller, 2 nights cost as much as my international flight - but for the security & luxury aspect I would do it again in an instant!
The welcome from start to finish was awesome. I arrived very early in the morning, but my room was ready due to an early departure - and I was given the opportunity to have breakfast once I had checked in, which I duly did. My room - The Pwani Room - was fautless. The bathroom was huge, as was the bedroom which was also immaculate. It benefitted from a lovely seating area and balcony overlooking the beautifully manicured gardens.
The hotel organised a car to take me to the 2 sights I wanted to visit (Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage & Giraffe Centre - highly recommend both particularly for the young at heart!). I paid a reasonable amount for the driver to take & wait for me at both places.
I highly recommend this boutique hotel to anyone who, like me, wants excellent service away from the generic city centre hotels.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Brit-Born-Cyp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Atherton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

A very nice beginning and end to our tent safari trip. Safe, clean, very large rooms and bathrooms. My three children enjoyed the pool, getting up early and swimming before breakfast. Lovely gardens. Delicious meals in their restaurant as well. I'd love to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Toronto, ON,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Recently spent two nights here, and was pleasantly surprised. When they discovered we were honeymooning, they immediately sent a bottle of sparkling up to the room. At the end of out trip, we returned for a night, and they bumped us to their best suite. Completely unexpected. When we went down for dinner, we had a drink at the bar, and the bartender whispered to me he had something special planned. After the drink, he led us to a beautiful private room with rose petals, and a fire, and served us a fantastic dinner. Again, completely unexpected. The people here went all out, and it was greatly appreciated. Rooms are nice, food is great. Setting is beautiful. Definitely a great option if you've got a night in Nairobi.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Five-star-guy
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I lived in Nairobi as a child for four years and came back after 30 years this month. Prior to arriving in Nairobi we opted to stay in Karen as Nairobi is quite expensive and I thought Karen would give a nice welcome back to Kenya. The House of Waine is exceptional and truly a prime place to stay while in the Nairobi area. We stayed there two nights and stayed in the Tembo room which was decadent and luxurious - all the while comfortable. It is a good idea to stay in upper end accommodation while in Nairobi and Kenya as a whole if you can afford to. House of Waine is not cheap, but it does deliver and our B&B package worked perfectly for us while we toured around Nairobi for a day. The House of Waine makes a stunning statement and offers all the comforts of home yet the feel and warmth of Kenya is all there with the open doors to the gardens, the stylish Kenya atmosphere and the breathtaking flowers and design of the building. The service is top of the line. Kenyans are kind and gracious by nature, but the staff are also highly professional and attentive and we really enjoyed talking with them. The food was really good as we had a full English breakfast the two mornings we were there. The room was so nice and the bathroom was marble and large. We slept like babies. We were too busy to use the pool, but it was very nice and cleaned with dedication. Karen is an amazing community and drop dead gorgeous. Rather than the traffic and conjestion of Nairobi - stay in Karen at The House of Waine and you will feel miles away when you are there. Karen is an upper end suberb of Nairobi and it "used" to be way out of town when I lived in Kenya last, but now it is not far from anything and only 30 minutes from the airport. Kazuri beads is also in Karen along with the Giraffe Center. Just the perfect place to have as base before or after a safari. The House of Waine has excellent security and you will feel safe and secure and you will be impressed by its standards. I only praise something when it deserves it. The Tembo (elephant) suite is very lovely and yet any room is a hit there. Kenya is an amazing country as a whole and you will so enjoy your visit and you will be forever changed. Congratulations House of Waine for wowing us and treating us so well. We really appreciated it and our 2.5 week safari was out of this world.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelsoothesthesoul
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The House of Waine is a colonial style large house in a nice location with beautiful gardens, however it is the staff that make this place stand out.

My husband and I were lucky enough to be put in the honeymoon suite, which was huge. There was a complementary mini bar, home made cookies and coffee making facilities. A good selection of books to read too. Housekeeping was faultless.

We ate two meals at the restaurant. Both meals were very good with great service and a choice of reasonably priced wines.

Breakfast was very generous, and will easily set you up for the whole day. On our last morning we were leaving before the normal breakfast service but the staff knew that and offered to make whatever we wanted before our 5.30 am departure. They waved us off too, which was a nice touch.

Reception organised a taxi driver for us to visit the Nairobi National Park (don't bother) and The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust elephant and rhino nursery (do bother as its a wonderful place of hope).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonFifi
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

We stayed at the House of Waine as a special indulgence at the end of our 3 weeks in Africa.

This is a colonial house build in the grounds of what was once Karen von Blixen coffee estate ("Out of Africa"), although she herself didn't have (to my knowledge) anything to do with this house. The prpoerty is very safe, the grounds are large with a generously sized heated swimming pool. The rooms (we stayed in the Pwani room) are huge and convey the atmosphere of a past colonial era. Large beds, spacious bathrooms and more than enough room. Luxury in Africa.

The meals were good - breakfast was very generous and served on a terrace. Dinner, whilst not quiet 5 star dining was more than acceptable. We were pleasantly surprised by the wine list which contained interesting and reasonably priced wine.

Karen itself is well away from downtown Nairobi. It is a peaceful and quiet suburban area, close to the Giraffe Santuary and the Sheldrick Elephant Sanctuary, both of which are a must (Sheldrick is only open between 11-12 each day). We hadn't made prior arrangements and asked the staff for a car and a driver for the next morning. That was arranged for a price that we thought to be very fair.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and rated the experience very highly.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geddes_7
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Stayed here just one night having just arrived to Nairobi from New York City to begin our safari in Kenya and Tanzania. My husband and I shared the ENORMOUS and lovely Makula Suite while our teenage son had a deluxe room next door all to himself. Upon arrival we had a delicious and beautifully presented late breakfast under a tree out in the garden . My heart was won. Setting, decor, staff , food , service, charm, all first rate. This is THE place to stay when you are in Nairobi. Enjoy!

• Liked — The garden setting
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)