We spent our first day in Kenya at The House of Waine. It is a comfortable facility with large rooms and good food and service. The best aspect of the hotel is the great location which is central to a variety of great activities in Karen (a suburb of Nairobi). We spent a full day exploring the area before heading out on safari.
Our activities included:
1. The Giraffe Center - you must go! We got up close and personal to beautiful Rothschild giraffes. The next time we visit we will hotel at the Giraffe Sanctuary nearby.
2. The Nyumbani Children's Home - we were moved by our visit to this home for abandoned children who are infected with HIV. The impact of this program is overwhelming.
3. The Bead Factory - we got a tour of this awesome facility that employs local, single moms and shopped for jewelry and pottery in their shop.
4. Karen Blixen Home and Museum - I was so excited to see the actual home of the famous writer of "Out of Africa." The tour was ok.
5. The Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage - run, don't walk to this amazing place. We went to the more private and quiet 5pm viewing (you just need to go online and adopt an elephant baby before your trip). It was unbelievable to see the baby elephants running into camp from their day out in the park. So cute! Seeing the babies drink their bottles, play with their keepers and nuzzle into their hay for bed was so moving.
6. Flipflop Shop - do you know what can be made out of recycled Flipflop sandals? Everything! Stop by and try to resist buying something.
Have a great trip!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your House of Waine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- House Of Waine Hotel Nairobi
- Hotel Of Waine
- Of Waine Hotel