“Pre and Post Safari Excellence”
Review of House of Waine

House of Waine
Ranked #18 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Corona, California
“Pre and Post Safari Excellence”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Having booked this property several times, and stayed myself several times, as a travel agent, I have to add my two cents. I find that this property was an excellent alternative to begin and/or end your safari. Seamless checkin, great rooms, good personal attention and good food. We, my group of six, found the staff to be accommodating and welcoming, anticipating our needs. While at the cabana, at least twice, attendants came over and asked if we needed anything, music was playing throughout. I found it quite a nice atmosphere. The decor throughout the property gave an authentic feel, in fact, several of my guests asked about many of the pieces on display throughout the property. I will definitely book this property again and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: See if the Malaika suite is available...you'll love it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank njeri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I had just arrived for our 1st night out and we had a very warm welcome and check in was very seamless. The rooms were excellent and the breakfast was mwah! Really loved it we will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at House of Waine for 2 nights in January 2010, and have such a great memories from the place. The hotel provides a great escape from sometimes chaotic Nairobi city life and provided us a nice beginning for our Kenya experience. The best things about this hotel are:

- One of the most helpful and attentative hotel staff we've ever exprienced.
- Lovely and spacious rooms decorated with true African style and great attention to detail
- Beuatiful garden and pool side area, with bar
- Delicious breakfast with fresh local fruits
- Location was peaceful, quiet and beatiful,perfect for low-key relaxing

We hope we can visit House of Waine again and can truly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jukka T
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This hotel was the first and last stops on a two week holdiday in Kenya/Tanzania for myself and my mum, and it was absolutely AMAZING. The staff were incredibly friendly and always went out of their way to accommodate our requests - after seeing the "Malaika Suite" (their presidential suite), we asked if there was any possibility of us being able to use it, and they upgraded us, free of charge, for two nights. When asked if we could dine out by the pool for breakfast, they had it all prepared for us the following mornings (Patrick was our waiter and he was delightful!). When we had a cocktail each night, they remembered what we had had the previous night and asked if we wanted the same (inredibly cheap, and delicious!). They had a couple of rugs in our room that I really quite liked, and so they sent one of the housekeepers out to track down where it was from and how much they cost, without the slightest whinge. When we asked about massages, they contracted a lady named Grace who was just perfect for what we wanted.
The food was first rate, absolutely delicious - four courses, a different option each night and cooked perfectly.
The accommodation itself was beautiful - after a week long safari in Tanzania, we walked back into the House of Waine foyer and felt as if we were returning home.
All in all, this hotel is definitely the most amazing accommodation I've ever stayed in. If we do return (which hopefully is on the cards in the next few years), the House of Waine will definitely be our first stop - I don't have enough words to describe how amazing our stay was. The biggest thank you to all the staff for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Several visits to Nairobi - 1st visit to House of Waine
The hotel was excellent; staff service fantactic - friendly and very helpfull. We loved the rooms - luxurious - great beds - very clean - superb bathrooms and great location.
The reception staff were particularly helpful in arranging transport to the various places we wanted to visit and in helping us sort out airport transport etc ..
Unfortunately, the food really let the hotel down. I have been travelling since I was in my teens and have a very hardy approach to ensuring my nutritional status, having visited many places on what can only be described as a frayed shoestring!
We stayed here for 2 nights. On the first evening we were served chicken that was so overcooked, we could not cut it. The dessert tray, which looked fantastic, included a creme desert with cream that was completely soured. Our first breakfast was OK. The second dinner was worse, the vegetables were not cooked (at all), including the potatoes. Seeing that all 4 of us had left our food practically untouched, the waiters called the young chef out. This was a tad embarrassing but I suspect, they were trying to make a point (their service was great). The chef was not impressed - no apology and a curt statement explaining that that was how they served the veg at House of Waine. I enjoy blanched veg at home but these were simply not cooked and I am afraid I have never come accross a restaurant anywhere that serves raw potatoes.
We had an early breakfast before leaving for the airport and I cannot begin to describe the scambled egg served to my father - it wasn't burnt but somehow had gone brown??!! The bacon was acidic and off.
So, great hotel but I would not take the risk of staying there again due to the food. I think in view of this, that Trip Advisor should add an overall score for food as the score I am about to give is not going to reflect these issues.
As we wanted to eat in the Hotel and were staying away from the other main hotels, we were somewhat stuck with what House of Waine could offer (Having done Carnivore to death).
Disappointed to have to leave this review & wondering if chef has changed since previous reviews - I noted that other guests were also leaving their food.
HB

Room Tip: Request a double room with balcony facing the garden
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hellsbells
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband and I spent one night here on our honeymoon in July, it was the most fantastic experience. We received a very personal service and were treated like royalty, not only were we treated to the master suite in the house but we had a private dinner just for us where the room was covered with rose petals and lit by candles and a fire, it was incredibly romantic and having just spent 4 days in the Masai Mara it was the most amazing luxury. we were served by only one member of staff who looked after us the next morning at breakfast as well, it was just wonderful, we both wished that we could have stayed for longer and feel totally blessed that our "overnight" hotel was such a highlight! thank you House of Waine and to Imagine Africa for booking it for us.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel offers all amenities of western comfort in a romantic setting with an "Out of Africa" feeling. The spacious garden with the inviting patio and pool are a serene place to reflect. The house itself feels like staying at somebody's home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business