For those arriving at Jomo Kenyatta airport in Nairobi, it can be very stressful to make the drive into Nairobi for your first night's stay in Kenya. I'd recommend travelers consider instead to make a detour to peaceful Karen. We did just that and stayed at the Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages. We arrived around 11 PM, exhausted from our 16 hour flight from the U.S. When we got there we immediately became absorbed into the world of "Magical Kenya". KB staff greeted us immediately to take our bags to our cottage. We feel in love with our cottage immediately and, after washing up, we delighted in the fact the nearby Tamarind restaurant. There, we enjoyed nightcap drinks and delicious samosas. In one hour we went from an exhausted to a euphoric state of well being. We had a great night's sleep and preceded to enjoy a "no agenda" day of visiting the nearby Karen Blixen museum, more wonderful meals at Tamarind, reading outside our cottage, taking a siesta, and yes, utilizing the KB internet connection to briefly text family we arrived safely in Kenya and that we were already in a heavenly place. A word of caution: Leave your American way of time behind and enjoy "Pole' Pole" (Swahili for "take it slowly") in the relaxed setting of Karen Blixen cottages. Hats off too to the wonderful Karen Blixen staff for being so gracious during our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The cottages are located in Karen, a beautiful, peaceful suburb approximately 20 miles from downtown Nairobi and about half a mile from the famous Karen Blixen Museum. The cottages are located in the midst of one of the oldest formal gardens in Kenya which have huge jacaranda, candelabra, cactus, bottlebrush, and other trees. Over 200 types of flowers bloom through the year and numerous bird feeders attract hundreds of varieties of birds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages Hotel Karen
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden And Cottages