Let me just say that the website does not do it justice, so don't base your decision entirely on the official site. The place is BEAUTIFUL. Picturesque in every detail. The cabins are large, cozy and perfectly comfortable. The one I stayed in was a duplex with a shared balcony. The bedroom is spacious, with a huge comfortable bed and fireplace. There was a large dressing room and huge bathroom with full tub and candelabras (with candles you could light, a first for me and made me feel like a medieval princess!).
The staff was superb. All highly trained, helpful, intuitive and friendly, almost to a fault. The food was likewise delicious, I didn't taste anything that wasn't amazing. The gift store was the best value I found in Kenya, with products priced sometimes at half of that of other stores with the same item.
I didn't spend any time in Nairobi, but this oasis was far prettier, just superficially, than anywhere on the hour and half drive from the city. The place was immaculate and the gardens impeccable. The hookah lounge off the bar makes you feel as if you've suddenly wound up in Marrakesh. You'll meet great people in the bar, all with a great story to share.
The location near the local airport is fantastic, makes safaris an easy jaunt, the ride in from the International airport is no picnic, but if that's the price to pay, it's well worth it!
I loved my time there and hope very much that it won't be too long before I have a chance to return. It was the vacation of a lifetime, no exaggeration!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The cottages are located in Karen, a beautiful, peaceful suburb approximately 20 miles from downtown Nairobi and about half a mile from the famous Karen Blixen Museum. The cottages are located in the midst of one of the oldest formal gardens in Kenya which have huge jacaranda, candelabra, cactus, bottlebrush, and other trees. Over 200 types of flowers bloom through the year and numerous bird feeders attract hundreds of varieties of birds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden And Cottages
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages Hotel Karen