“Watch your belongings” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
colombo
“Watch your belongings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for three weeks with my husband who was on a business trip. The hotel charged me 100 us dollar per night to stay with my husband (who is a regular visitor since his office has a contract with this place) The staff is friendly, just like most of the people in Kenya. But some of my clothes went mssing during my stay and were never retrieved. So watch out for your clothes!(valuables of course fit into the safe, so you have your own responsibility.
The food is foul, but I have ben told it was once excellent. This has changed. I am usually not fussy, but this place belongs to an interior design company so the design is opulent but hides the fact that there is little quality. No free drinking water in the room (not even a small bottle to brush your teeth) poly cotton sheets and cheapo toiletries. This is not five star, just a lot of shiny curtains to make it look expensive.
Brealfast is first come, first serve so ifyou are late there is no fruit or croissant or brown bread sorry! staff is not to blame though, they are very kind and good fun.

Room Tip: there is a lot of construction going on. ask for a quiet room away from construction and away from t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank grlnclmb
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Firstly thank you very much for staying with us recently; we take our guests experiences at Palacina very seriously and your review is important to us.

I remember you very well and am saddened that you did not express your disappointment with your stay to me personally-in fact quite the opposite you said you were happy with your experience at Palacina. We are extremely disappointed to read your assessment of Palacina and feel compelled to make the following comments.

To suggest that your items were stolen while at the hotel is a very serious accusation of our staff and the housekeeper of your suite. I would like to point out that you came to me saying that a book was missing from your room and at the same time you mentioned that you were also missing a camouflage shirt but added that "you might have left it on safari".

We did in fact find your book as you had forgotten it on the terrace of the lobby and I personally handed it back to you. Based on our exceptional record on safety, security and the profile of our clients; we would simply not be in business if we tolerated theft at the hotel. To think that a housekeeper would have interest in stealing your jacket is highly unlikely when she just recently returned an iPhone left in the room by a client (who was so surprised and grateful). Perhaps it is a likely possibility that you left it on safari as you did your book? While we are the first to respond in such a situation, we should reiterate that these are serious accusations that need to be validated and cannot be made if you are (as you told me) not sure where you left it.
We are pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and courteous. We pride ourselves on the quality & character of our staff above all and I regret that you do not agree with this.

Regarding the hotel pricing Palacina is very proud to have an agreement with your husband’s NGO where we offer them accommodation at less than 65% off our daily rates. We are delighted to be associated with them and with the great work that they do in Africa hence this cooperation as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). The extra USD 100 per night for a spouse is mutually agreed with their Nairobi office & on the nights that your husband was away we did not include this charge. To suggest that we are expensive and do not offer value for money is totally contrary to the feedback we get from your husband's colleagues.

Palacina is proud to be recognized as Nairobi’s first and premier boutique hotel. It is family owned and run for the past 13 years and I have had the pleasure of being the Hotel Manager for most of that time. Our owners also have other business concerns including beach resorts, tour operations, aviation & furnishing.
We are therefore family owned, run and managed… & not owned by an Interior Design Company.
I regret that you were misinformed on this and further information is available at “The Palacina Collection” online presence.

As you can see in the previous reviews, the comments on our food is generally excellent and it is shocking that you would describe the food as "foul"! I must admit that this is the first time that I have ever heard anything like this! I wish you would have brought this and any other concerns that you had over your extended stay with us to my attention especially because we personally met & spoke at length on two separate occasions.

At Palacina we do pride ourselves in offering a very personal & hands-on service and I assure you that had I been made aware of your concerns we would have moved made every conceivable effort to ensure that they were fully addressed.

Tony Sawe | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was only here for a few hours prior to an overnight flight back to United Kingdom.I was given a beautiful suite which had all that could be wanted. Had an excellent dinner then was able to relax for a few hours prior to being taken to the airport

Staff were extremely attentive and genuine in their comment.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Dougal65,
Thank you for giving us the privilege of being your "home in Nairobi" for a few hours recently.
We hope you had a pleasant onward journey and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay in the future.
Best regards,
Tony Sawe - GM - Palacina
Moshi, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The African decor made me feel my holiday had started. My large suite and comfortable bed were welcome. I ate on the veranda at night which was magical with all the candles dotted about and breakfast was freshly prepared and varied. I had a few requests and the staff efficiently dealt with these. In addition the exotic bird song made this a special & memorable location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rowenah,
We are delighted to read your review... we hope the rest of your African Safari was as interesting & comfortable as the great start and hopefully we will see you on your next African adventure!
Thank you!
Tony Sawe - GM - Palacina
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As our flight back to Heathrow did not depart until nearly midnight our Agent Imagine Africa arranged for us to have a day room and a meal at their wonderful Moonflower Restaurant. We had a shower and rest in a beautiful room wish we could have stayed the night! and then a delicious meal with great service before being taken back to the airport for our return flight to the uk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel when we were stranded during the Nairobi airport fire. We were stressed out and having lots of trouble trying to figure out how to get home. If there was anything the staff and management could do to help us they did it. Well beyond our expectations. Checked on us after a sleepless night to ensure we were ok. Kept the breakfast open longer because we were up late. Sent champaign to our room because we looked stressed. Coordinated phone calls.

In short, staff were wonderful and I would recommend everyone to stay here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had the pleasure of eating here some time last year, was a private party for about 10 ladies or so.
the food was good, so was the wine, the meatballs(best iv ever had)and can go back because of that. a few issues though; the parking is quite small and the toilet was not so clean by evening time. For me the toilet is a factor that makes or breaks an establishment. also the lighting was an issue as by evening our area outside plus the toilet didn't have lights. As i went there last year am guessing those issues should be sorted out by now, so i can definitely go back and try again.
All in all its a good place for a private event.

The only reason i have rated cleanliness as poor is because of the toilet issue, cannot speak of the whole establishment as we didn't go inside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Maureen,
Greetings from a wintery Nairobi morning.
This is a short response to thank you for taking time to comment on our Moonflower Restaurant.
We are delighted that the ladies had a memorable visit and that you enjoyed our Chef's "uber-delicious" sticky meatballs despite the apparent electrical issues.
I do regret to advise that The Moonflower has been closed for some time now as we are in the process of increasing our facilities and updating Palacina.
We hope to host you and the ladies in the future and it will be my pleasure to welcome you back!
Stockbridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were at this hotel for a stopover between international flights in and then again out of the country. During the day there is the continual noise of building works taking place next to the hotel. There is noise from a sort of pump that you can hear during the day and at night within the hotel. The noise during the night of barking dogs very close to the hotel prevented any form of a decent night's sleep and finally the noise from scuttling feet within the room (presumably mice) was the final straw. The bath could not be drained without a chap coming to assist with a plunger. None of the people in our party (three bedrooms) could have the TVs on as they didn't work and the Internet was only intermittent. I would strongly advise staying at another hotel if at all possible. On a more positive note, the lunch we had at the restaurant was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends