“Karen Delight”
Review of Macushla House

Macushla House
Ranked #4 of 213 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I visited this hotel with my daughter at the end of May, myself for a holiday and my daughter for a meeting in the Karen district of Nairobi. The hotel is small, friendly and peaceful, with some excellent staff, who are very attentive without being intrusive. The well appointed room was large and very clean. The room service was prompt and there was no problem getting breakfast with a very early departure. The wild monkeys were interesting but never came close and in the evenings there was a lovely log fire lit in the lounge areas, which was appreciated as it did get a little cool. Taxis were booked with a reliable company and we went out one evening to a very good restaurant which the owner recommended.
The hotel was very handy for the Giraffe Centre - within walking distance and reasonably close by car to the Elephant orphanage, the Karen Blixen museum and the Nairobi game reserve, (all of which I enjoyed).
If I were to find a small problem, it was that the pool filter didn't remove the flies etc as quickly as some, although the area around the pool was very pleasant.
This is a small quiet hotel that I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Macushla House

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I traveled to Macushia House on the front end of a Kenyan Safari. Gamewatchers booked this place for me. On the positive side, this a charming place with 6-8 rooms. The rooms are sizable. For me, there was something off about this place. This isnt an inexpensive place. The water wasnt warm (not cold either). The rooms were cold. I was there in winter. You didnt get many towels either. These are just small things. This home is at the end of a street in the town of Karen. I walked with a few other travelers to the Giraffe Center which was a ten minute walk. It seemed pretty safe but I dont think I would want to walk alone. You are walking down residential streets. Each home is well "protected" with walls and fencing. The road is dirt. If you come here, there isnt any retail near by so you would have to take a taxi if you need something.

We had breakfast and dinner here. The food was good. We did sit around the fire after dinner talking with all the guests. One of the ladies continues to return year after year. This place seems to have a good following.

Outside of walking to the Giraffe Center, there isnt much to do without getting a driver. The real downfall for me is how far this place is from the airport. We arrived at 4 am and had to drive to the House which took 45 minutes. If you are doing a quick overnight, I suggest you stay someplace close to the airport.

If you do go, the Giraffe Center is a must do. Its fun especially if you havent gone on a Safari yet. I kissed a Girafee and I liked it!!! Check out my other reviews if you want my Safair Experiences.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank dogluverSanDiego
Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a nice surprise. After traveling from USA to England and arriving in Nairobe in October, my husband and I could have not stayed in a more relaxing and serene place.The decor and grounds are beautiful and full of charm..Nice comfortable room with cozy bed. Great food, whether eating poolside or in the dining room, and the staff is so nice. Giraffe Sanctuary and Elephant Orphanage are nearby as is Wilson Airport. Only 6 rooms here so you should make a reservation..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Macushla House was an unexpected delight. The house is beautifully appointed, very warm and welcoming decor and layout. Our room was clean and spacious with ample cupboards for storage, a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. The sitting rooms are comfy and inviting, we spent two lovely evenings reading in front of the fireplace with wine. The food was good and the service was prompt and friendly. The outdoor patio, pool and gardens were very appealing areas to relax, though the mosquitos were fairly intense in the mornings and at night so we often found ourselves inside instead. The only criticism I have is that we were assured there was wifi access but the wifi was not working when we were there. We were allowed to use the office computer if needed but it felt like an imposition which was uncomfortable for us. Also notable is that it was a long drive from the international airport - almost an hour on rough dusty roads.

Close enough to giraffe center that we could walk there in fifteen minutes. If you have the time, take the nature walk across the street from giraffe center, it is a nice way to stretch your legs. Also close to Sheldrick Elephant orphanage - don't miss the chance to visit and foster a baby elephant, the experience is unforgettable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staying at the Macushla House is a defining experience. However much I may try to find a weak point of this place, I cannot find one of any consequence.
Indeed, a few fellow reviewers have pointed at the low water pressure in the showers, and they do have a point. But, as Tony Curtis said in Some like it hot, "no one is perfect". Not even the Macushla House...
But - film quotes apart - this place is really close to perfection! The beauty of the place, the good taste of the interiors, the warmth of the staff makes it a perfect place to stay. Rooms are ample and beautiful, the common areas are extremely cozy and welcoming, and then there is the fireplace!
We were there for three nights, and in one of them there was very heavy rain that completely flooded the area, so that we were unable to go out for dinner. The Macushla House staff was able to conjure - literally "out of thin air" - a beautiful dinner, served with warmth and class. This memory will stay with us for a long time.
Full marks to Ms. Karoline and her staff - with special mention to head waitress Millisend!
I am a frequent traveller to Nairobi and I shall cartainly come back!
Too bad that I can only rate it 5 out of 5, it would indeed deserve more...

Room Tip: In various stays, I have used 4 different rooms and they were all very nice and ample.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MagisterRome
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my two children for a couple of nights in December. What a wonderful place! I highly recommend Macushla House for anyone passing through Nairobi. It is clean, safe, and well situated. Very nice breakfast as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2013

As part of a pre-safari tour, I stayed 2 nights beginning December at Macushla. The trip was organized by a friend who chose this guesthouse. It’s located in the Karen district of Nairobi, a good 45 minute drive from the International Airport. It’s a good location if you want to visit the Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe centre and Sheldrick’s Elephant orphanage as all is very close by. Wilson airport is also in good reach. I can recommend Macushla to those who seek the quiet away from the buzz downtown. However, if you are staying longer and want to venture out into the city centre, I recommend staying downtown.
Macushla House is like a typical African house with big fireplace and lots of decoration and artefacts which make you feel being in a friend’s house. The fact that this is also a small guesthouse adds to the intimate atmosphere. They have a lovely garden with pool and terrace seating. It seems to be a popular place for wedding photo shoots. The room I stayed was spacious and had a cozy alcove from where I could watch numerous birds on the bird feeder. It was a nice touch to find a hot water bottle in the evening in my bed. On the second day though, they brought it very early in the afternoon so that it was not to hot anymore by the time I went to bed. The shower in the bathroom had an interesting design and because the showerhead is fixed in the wall it can be a bit tricky at first until the water is hot. The water pressure was unfortunately very low, so washing longer hair is not easy. I liked the fact that they offer biodegradable amenities. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food is mediocre as far as lunch or dinner is concerned, but good in terms of breakfast. I did not check if they have internet

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends