“Best local you could ask for..”
Review of Tin Roof Cafe

Tin Roof Cafe
Ranked #14 of 656 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Quiet, quirky day-time cafe perfect for light, healthy lunches with great salads and fresh, exotic smoothies, juices and excellent coffee hand-roasted in Nairobi.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Being a Karen resident it is always nice to have a new scene to visit in our little suburb. with superb food, gracious staff as well as magic smoothies and juice concoctions to fulfil your wildest dreams and hangovers. Walking distance is not an issue!

5  Thank Luke D

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Having lived in Nairobi for almost two years, I had struggled to find fresh, healthy and yummy food until the Tin Roof cafe appeared on the scene.

In the last three months, I have returned to this gorgeous little cafe time and time again for its interesting salads, beetroot soup, great coffees and the amazing mint and pineapple juice. And, if I am feeling naughty, the chicken and feta pancake!

There are some lovely shops to pop by next door for last minute souvenir or other shopping and the atmosphere at the cafe is like popping into your (very stylish) mum's living room. Complete with lovely and welcoming staff - one of the owners (with a beard) is particularly friendly. If you have kids or a young heart(!), there is also Petong to play outside.

I would definitely recommend this place to short and long-term visitors to Nairobi - the best healthy lunch place in town!

4  Thank Victoria W
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been to many restaurants in Nairobi and this one is definitely tops of the pops for me. The atmosphere is relaxed and upbeat. Lovely clean white walls and a shaded veranda set in a leafy courtyard in Karen. One of the owners called Jerome was there who could not have been friendlier – he even leant me his laptop to check in with!
The food was outstanding, fresh fruit juice and a cheese, pesto & ham wrap to die for. The salad bar was fresh and interesting, not a limp salad leaf in sight. When I am in that part of town I can’t see myself lunching anywhere else.
Finally I must say that the wifi is quick and being a coffee snob was not expecting anything decent but I was very pleasantly surprised, it was dangerously good.
If I lived in Karen it would undoubtably end up doubling up as my office!

5  Thank ChloeShann
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We arrived at Nairobi airport after midnight on a Qatar flight from London via Doha. Staying in Karen for what was left of the night and walking to the Tin Roof Cafe in the morning felt a long way from Surrey! The welcome was friendly and the menu was promising. The Wi-Fi made email accessible, reducing withdrawal symptoms. The food was fresh and interesting, the service excellent. The surroundings were pleasantly airy and tropical. Our first breakfast in Africa was a good experience and a great start to a busy week.

6  Thank coco223
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Tin Roof might be quite a new opening in Karen, however we had a fabulous lunch here. The food was excellent - they have a salad bar which is inspired by Ottolenghi, and really scrumptious. Not your run of the mill salads, but something a bit different. And I think they change it every day. Then there are other options on the menu - I went for a chicken and dhania pancake which I thought was excellent too. They have fresh juices to drink, and then coffee afterwards. We also tucked into a freshly made cupcake which was naughty but delicious. The atmosphere there is very relaxed, they have wifi and service is super friendly. It's also so close to Karen shopping that you can walk.

8  Thank ExperienceKenya