“A welcome Oasis”
Review of Ngong House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ngong House
Ranked #15 of 220 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Our first stop before heading off for Safari, we were made to feel very welcome and everything was very relaxed. We stayed her for just one night - two nights would have been a maximum for us. It's great for a different type of stopover in Nairobi.

The "treehouses" have to be seen to be believed.

The house dogs are attention loving and we loved giving them the attention!
We walked to Giraffe Manor (15 mins, fine for us but up and down over stone paths) which was well worth the trip.

Food was good but not spectacular.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but we liked it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2010

I'm just back from my first trip to Africa - wow. I had a great trip but one thing really stands out for me. I was a guest of Paul and his family at Ngong House, what an exceptional experience. Apart from the stunning luxury tree house rooms which were so comfortable and quiet with amazing views across the Ngong hills, it was the warm welcome and family atmosphere which really set it apart for me as a wonderful experience. The service was subtle yet very friendly which made me feel like the quality of my stay was important to the team there. Drinks around the fire is a really nice touch as it gives you an opportunity to meet the other guests and pick up on travel tips. Ngong House was a real find, a totally unique environment to experience Nairobi from and a very welcome break from the business of the city. Its a real haven and the comfort and attention to detail in the tree houses made it very hard to leave. I'm looking forward to going back some time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARathlin
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I have travelled in many African countries, staying in the every kind of accommodation from self catered tented camps to exquisite safari lodges. However, I think it is only fair to warn travelers against the above ‘hotel’. Having parted with 950 US dollars in cash (the only accepted payment method) for a one night stay and an extra lunch – including transfers and delicious food – I felt it was disappointing on the following counts:

- No cold water in my treehouse – when I pointed this out to the management, I was told that “nothing could be done about that” – it was however restored in due course
- No hot water the following day – staff told me “I should have got up earlier when the boiler was lit”
- The pool – this could more accurately be described as a waist deep plunge pool. It was strewn with leaves and the usual suicidal insects, and no attempt was made to clean it during our two day visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Safari-Ken
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed in a nice cottage in Karen area, the place(Nairobi) is very easy to get around. Lots of transport options, just take the normal precautions, when travelling, watch your bags, nego price before travelling and know where you are going.. The people in Nairobi are very happy to help, like in all cities there are areas to stay clear of..Karen is not one of them..

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2010

What a wonderful place to stay! Unfortunately, we were only here for one night, but how amazing it was.
My husband and three kids (ages 10, 13 and 16) had booked two tree houses here after a two-week safari. One of the tree-houses wasn't ready, so the kids had the run of the 'log cabin' which has a billiard room, two huge bedrooms, living area, amazing bed on a raised level and a balcony. They could have stayed the night, but chose to then move to their tree house.
The host, Paul, is from Belgium and is an architect - he has designed and mostly built all the tree houses. Ours had a bath made from a canoe! Lovely furnishings, hand-made glass walls, wooden walls, balcony with views of the garden and hills. The bed was so comfortable - my best sleep in two weeks!
Plus, Paul arranges for all his guests to dine in separate areas. Ours was a round building with 6 fires built into the walls and a huge fireplace. The beautiful table in the centre made the whole evening magical - possibly the most special dinner I have ever had! The food was fabulous - so fresh and well-presented. Breakfast and lunch the next day were served on the lawn and each meal surpassed our expectations.
The grounds are a delightful mixture of rolling lawns (next to the main building) and wild grasses (in between the tree houses). Paul's wife, Penny Winter, has a little shop where she sells her great jewellery and fashion she has designed.
Close to Nairobi National Park and the Diane Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage as well as about 15-20 minutes from Nairobi Centre.
Paul went out of his way to make us feel like welcome guests. Every staff member we met was friendly, efficient and so willing to make our stay memorable. We would all love to return. It was worth every cent - stay if you have the chance.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Kriselda
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We spent two nights at Ngong House just before Christmas before heading on to our safari destination. Ngong House is located close to Wilson Airport which is ideal if you are taking a Safari Link flight. The location is ideal because not only is out of town (a good thing) but it is very close to the Elephant and Giraffe sanctuaries as well as the Karen Blixen Museum, all worth a visit.

The main attraction however is the house itself and the host. The accommodation is varied but mostly tree house type accommodation, no two tree houses are the same and have lovely views. We stayed in a beautiful lodge which will comfortably sleep a large family. It comes with a snooker table, huge living room / bar, balcony and two bedrooms.

Ngong house is not cheap but if you want to get your holiday off to a good start of finish on a high you should consider it. The food and wine were superb and the dinning is always an event. I won’t spoil it for everyone by revealing why eating at Ngong House is such an event but you will be will be pleasantly surprised.

Paul, your host and owner is genuinely interested in his guests and nothing is too much trouble. If you like staying in 5 Star immaculate American Style resorts don’t stay here. If you want to find a true hidden gem then it’s a must.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank touristguy
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We have stayed at Ngong twice whilst on our wedding/ honeymoon ( we were married at Govenors on the mara, which i would recomend to anyone just perfect) . It was the most perfect hotel i have ever stayed in.
The staff were great we didn't want for anything, really helpfull and friendly.
The food was out of this world and served in a beautifull outside dinning room.

Both of our rooms were perfect, with a great view
Paul and his staff made our stay just perfect. I really didnt want to leave to come home!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)