“Wonderful, unique, friendly, peaceful”
Review of Ngong House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ngong House
Ranked #12 of 198 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful, unique, friendly, peaceful”
Reviewed January 25, 2010

What a wonderful place to stay! Unfortunately, we were only here for one night, but how amazing it was.
My husband and three kids (ages 10, 13 and 16) had booked two tree houses here after a two-week safari. One of the tree-houses wasn't ready, so the kids had the run of the 'log cabin' which has a billiard room, two huge bedrooms, living area, amazing bed on a raised level and a balcony. They could have stayed the night, but chose to then move to their tree house.
The host, Paul, is from Belgium and is an architect - he has designed and mostly built all the tree houses. Ours had a bath made from a canoe! Lovely furnishings, hand-made glass walls, wooden walls, balcony with views of the garden and hills. The bed was so comfortable - my best sleep in two weeks!
Plus, Paul arranges for all his guests to dine in separate areas. Ours was a round building with 6 fires built into the walls and a huge fireplace. The beautiful table in the centre made the whole evening magical - possibly the most special dinner I have ever had! The food was fabulous - so fresh and well-presented. Breakfast and lunch the next day were served on the lawn and each meal surpassed our expectations.
The grounds are a delightful mixture of rolling lawns (next to the main building) and wild grasses (in between the tree houses). Paul's wife, Penny Winter, has a little shop where she sells her great jewellery and fashion she has designed.
Close to Nairobi National Park and the Diane Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage as well as about 15-20 minutes from Nairobi Centre.
Paul went out of his way to make us feel like welcome guests. Every staff member we met was friendly, efficient and so willing to make our stay memorable. We would all love to return. It was worth every cent - stay if you have the chance.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kriselda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2009

We spent two nights at Ngong House just before Christmas before heading on to our safari destination. Ngong House is located close to Wilson Airport which is ideal if you are taking a Safari Link flight. The location is ideal because not only is out of town (a good thing) but it is very close to the Elephant and Giraffe sanctuaries as well as the Karen Blixen Museum, all worth a visit.

The main attraction however is the house itself and the host. The accommodation is varied but mostly tree house type accommodation, no two tree houses are the same and have lovely views. We stayed in a beautiful lodge which will comfortably sleep a large family. It comes with a snooker table, huge living room / bar, balcony and two bedrooms.

Ngong house is not cheap but if you want to get your holiday off to a good start of finish on a high you should consider it. The food and wine were superb and the dinning is always an event. I won’t spoil it for everyone by revealing why eating at Ngong House is such an event but you will be will be pleasantly surprised.

Paul, your host and owner is genuinely interested in his guests and nothing is too much trouble. If you like staying in 5 Star immaculate American Style resorts don’t stay here. If you want to find a true hidden gem then it’s a must.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank touristguy
coventry, england
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We have stayed at Ngong twice whilst on our wedding/ honeymoon ( we were married at Govenors on the mara, which i would recomend to anyone just perfect) . It was the most perfect hotel i have ever stayed in.
The staff were great we didn't want for anything, really helpfull and friendly.
The food was out of this world and served in a beautifull outside dinning room.

Both of our rooms were perfect, with a great view
Paul and his staff made our stay just perfect. I really didnt want to leave to come home!

• Liked — the rooms all of them are different
  • Disliked — nothing it was all perfect
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I had the distinct pleasure of staying here for 3 nights at the end of November. I was picked up at the airport by a smiling representative of the hotel, John. He couldn't have been nicer, and gave me a history of Nairobi as we drove from the airport to Karen. Upon arrival, I was greeted warmly by Simon, who presented me with a refreshing mango drink, and then led me to my room, telling me that dinner would be at 6:30. After showering, I headed to dinner, only to be diverted by a very welcoming bonfire, which I discovered was a nightly event. Paul, the owner, shows up each evening to greet his guests. As a single traveler on this journey, I found this to be a very welcoming aspect of Ngong House.

Meals are fabulous and served outside in the garden area. Every employee was warm, hospitable and caring - very impressive. Giraffe Manor and the Giraffe Center are a 10 minute walk away, and anyone at the hotel would be delighted to escort a guest to and fro. Rides to Nairobi National Park? No problem. I went for an evening game drive and an early morning drive, both of which were wonderful.

The accommodations at Ngong House are superb. Each room is it's own tree house - with the exception of the room located near the reception area and the private home. After touring the property, I can't say enough about it - the creativity, comfort and originality are all superb. There is something about the beds here as well - the comfort of the foam mattresses is unmatched, in my opinion. I slept like a baby each night, and didn't want to leave.

All expectations were not only met, but exceeded. I can hardly wait to go back, and would recommend this property to anyone. Overall? Fantastic!!

• Liked — Comfortable and creatively decorated rooms, unmatched hospitality, delicious meals and fantastic staff.
  • Disliked — I liked absolutely everything.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank sci
thegingerone1
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Short but very enjoyable stay. The staff was extremely accomodating. Accomodation has to be seen to be believed. Food was incredible. Wonderful start or end to any holiday in Kenya.

• Liked — The small details. They went out of their way to accomdate us.
  • Disliked — Long grass without much light on path from main house to accomodation
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thegingerone1
London, England
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Obviously the situation in Kenya has changed since I stayed here, but if you're flying to Nairobi, I can think of no better place than this as a 1st port of call.

From the moment we arrived, we were welcomed and treated like old friends (even the family dog, Skippy, took it upon herself to act as a guide). After an overnight flight, this felt like arriving in Paradise.

The meals were superb and varied, and served in several wonderful locations on the house grounds. The staff were attentive but not fussy, and our tree house was incredible.

Thoroughly recommended!

• Liked — Take your pick - everything was excellent
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DodieDen
London
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I stayed at Ngong House for 4 nights with my husband and 2 children aged 12 & 15 . This was the first stop on our trip to Kenya , followed by a safari and a week on the beach . We found the place charming and a wonderful way to relax in readiness for the early morning game drives which were to come on the next part of our trip. We arrived very late at night - @ 11pm - to be greeted by all of the staff and a wonderful meal. The accomodation is very different and was really what caught my eye when looking to book something for this part of our trip. We were not disappointed .The treehouses do creak and shake a bit when you are moving around but it all feels very safe. They are lovely inside and we had good fun trying to negotiate the winding external stairs in the dark after a couple of glasses of wine. We found plenty to fill our days - the giraffe sanctuary and elephant orphanange being our favourites - but for large parts of the day we where quite happy to relax in the pretty colouful gardens of Ngong House with a good book and a nice cold glass of wine. The staff are great - sometimes they don't quite get the orders right which was quite funny at one point as we were the only guests there - but they are so willing to please that it really didn't seem to matter. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed July 2007