“I had no intention of staying at the...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Safari Club

Nairobi Safari Club
Ranked #40 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Alexandria, Virginia
“I had no intention of staying at the...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I had no intention of staying at the Nairobi Safari Club, or Nairobi for that matter. After a flight cancellation, however, I found myself very fortunate to spend the night in this establishment. It is a high-end hotel and had the feel as such. The staff was friendly, courteous, and attentive. The suite (all rooms are suites) was spacious and very well-kept. The restaurant had a tasty buffet for both dinner and breakfast. Neither Internet nor meals are included in general room rates as far as I am aware; the airline covered my meals and I wasn't prepared to pay for the Internet. While I didn't have the opportunity to try the heated pool, it looked very nice. I marked the "value" down because I often feel these high-end kind of hotels charge too much for basic services, especially ones you'd find for free at cheaper hotels. Still, it was very comfortable and I would highly recommend it for travelers who are not on a tight budget.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Naij
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

I only have 2 words to describe this hotel - DON'T STAY...... may i add even if its offered for FREE! Which is what happened in my case! I missed my connecting flight and Kenya Airways put me up in this hotel. It was a nightmare! I checked out within the hour and went across town to the Tribe. Please its not worth it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Yasmina9

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Friendly staff. Ok food in the bar. Suites are spacious but a bit outdated. Probably this was top of the line in the 70-ties. Sometimes disturbing noice from the street in front of the hotel. OK hotel, no more no less.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Very helpful and polite staff. The rooms are very clean and all have a lounge suite. Complimentary bottled water are in the rooms.
The only downfall for us, which is not the hotel's fault was that there was construction work going on outside the rear of the building which started at the ridiculous time of 7pm and finished at 4am. Despite being on the 10th floor it sounded like we were on the 1st floor.

Stayed again at the end of our trip to be on the same side of the building and on 8th floor. by 9pm we had to ring reception and ask to be moved to a different room. Got moved to the 10th floor at the front.

No great problem apart from the traffic in the morning.

Could do with a bit of modernising, but this is Kenya after all

Stayed December 2009
1 Thank capricorn70
Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

My first encounter with this hotel was a rude shock. When I reached this hotel in evening there was no electricity. I came to know, that there was no power since afternoon and there was problem in Hotel's distribution system.

Did my check-in in candle light and then climbed 7 floors to reach the room. It was a really adventurous as you have to manage down coming traffic and at certain places on stairs there was no candle. Room was quite big with a sitting room and separate bedroom. My room had a balcony attached to it. But you cant stay in balcony for long due traffic noise and pollution.

When I entered into the room there was a smell coming, but I couldn't make out for the reason due to no power. When I woke up in the morning, then I realized that that was a leakage in the toilet and the water has seeped into the room. Entire carpet in the room was deep into the water. I have to really jump and walk while walking in the room.

Power came at around 11 PM.

Morning, I told the Hotel staff about this and when I came back in the evening the leakage was fixed and carpet was dry but for the smell.

Breakfast was good with quite a variety.

However, not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stayed one night and it was fine. It isn't modern and hip - it's a room. The breakfast was again fine. A good place to stay if you need to be in the area, morning traffic can be killer - and don't want to pay a ransom at the Norfolk.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Visited Nairobi in Oct. 09 and stayed for a week at Nairobi Safari Club. The hotel is neat and clean, well furnished, great location. rooms are suite, very comfortable. The restaurants are good (both the Pizzeria and Safari Restaurant). Hotel staff are courteous and prompt. Wifi works well. What beats all the good things I have to say about this hotel, is the price. This is a costly place at USD 190/night for the standard room. But then I found everything in Nairobi pricy. With not much public transport to boast about, one has to rely on the cab. A ride from the airport to the hotel is Ksh 2000. But then, nairobi itself is expensive, so an uppy tariff of the hotel is I guess part of the place. Anyway, I enjoyed my stay here and I roccomend it to all. Cheers.

• Liked — Suite rooms
  • Disliked — Tariff
  • Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pedman99