Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel
Ranked #43 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Very nice hotel in the Westlands part of Nairobi.
Very good service, friendly staff. Gardens and pool area very serene. Nice garden bar. It has a resort feel with the style.

Room clean, bathroom okay. Bath and shower could be better.
Lots of restaurants in the area, we tried Hanndi and Tastes of China. You need to take a taxi at night as it is not considered safe.

Downside is there is a nightclub nearby and quite a lot of traffic on the roads. This is beyond what the hotel can do and as a light sleeper I wore ear plugs and slept very well. Nairobi struggles with its traffic.
Internet a bit hit and miss.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our services and facilities in such a kind way.
It was indeed our pleasure to host you and we are glad to have met your expectations during your last stay as we strive for even better ways in improving our service delivery. I am also happy to note that you liked our gardens and the pool bar and our team was so proud to hear their efforts being appreciated.
We take our guests’ security as our priority and our staff have been sensitized on the need to inform guests regarding the general security situation within the city hence the advice provided by the team on the need to take a cab at night. This is meant to alert our guests that just like any other city in the world, there is need to be more careful but was not meant to imply anything negative.
We have also taken note of your experience with our internet and shared the same with our IT team who have checked with our service provide and advised them on the need to increase the bandwidth. Am happy to inform you that this has been concluded and our internet is currently very stable.

I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

i have stayed in this hotel for 8 days on a business trip and i liked it very much!
friendly staff, wonderful breakfast, well equipped GYM, a nice swimming pool, the mini bar in your room is checked every day and refreshing garden where you can have a drink or something to eat, if you wanted to have shopping or restaurants there is also a mall just back of the Hotel and most importantly the Hotel is located in a relatively secured and safe region of Nairobi.

the only thing i don't like is the stairs, there is no elevator service you have to use the stairs and it is tiresome specially when you are holding something on your hand or if you are a physically disabled (the hotel is not handicapped friendly).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Johannes A
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Johannes A
Thank you for taking your time to write your review. We are pleased to know that you found our staff friendly and that our breakfast met your expectations. We are also glad that you liked our gym, swimming pool, our gardens and the fact that the mini bar is checked daily for replenishing.

We have always endeavored to ensure that our guests get the best experience and leave with good memories. More so, our guests’ security is given priority with our staff undergoing continuous training on the same and we are glad once again to note that you felt secure.

Am however disappointed to hear of the inconveniences caused by the stair cases and I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize. I have shared your concern with my team and raised the matter with our directors and can confidently assure you that this is being looked in to seriously. Regarding accessibility for the physically challenged, I agree with you that the stair cases can easily create an impression that some areas are inaccessible but also let you know that all areas are accessible by the physically challenged with plans underway to make these more visible.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2014

3.5 stars

Stayed here before and after the safari. This place is actually pretty nice. Befor emy safari I stayed in a 200s room and I though it was like a motel. However, upon coming back we stayed at a 300s room and it was nice, looks like it has been recently renovated.

The breakfast here is pretty good. It is a buffet style and has some really fresh fruit. Staff was excellent and the place feels pretty safe. They do warn you to not go out past 6pm but for the nights we were there we went out without a problem. There is a club next door so the music gets really loud. The wifi worked well for us but we were just doing light web browsing.

If you are looking for good food I recommend Fogo Gaucho for Brazillian (which is right across the big street next to a big viking sign) and also Haandi for Indian which is in a mall.

Room Tip: Get a room that starts with 300s.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jbh2kplus

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback about our property. I appreciate your commitment in taking your time to share your experience during your stay with us.

I am delighted to note your positive feedback about our breakfast and I have shared the same with our Chef with his team who are happy too. It has been the hotel’s policy with Chef’s effort to ensure that our guests get fresh fruits all year round and we are glad to note that you recognized this. Our staff have always enjoyed engaging guests and we thank you for noticing their friendliness too.

Most importantly, I would like to appreciate your attention to detail and for noticing the difference between our 2 rooms’ series as mentioned in your review. We have always had it in plan to upgrade our product as often as possible, usually done in phases. While this is done around the same time, the 300s room series were the last on the schedule hence the difference. I can however assure you that our scheduled product upgrade is almost due and the 200s room series will be considered first for the face lift. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your first stay.
We take our guests’ security with the seriousness it deserves and that is why our team informed you of the situation after 6 PM but I have briefed them on how to handle such requests in future. Am however happy to learn that you actually had a good time regardless.

As with our food, the chef has gone through this review and I can assure you that he is going to make desirable changes on the menu and the next time you visit you don’t have to venture of the hotel for good food.

We thank you once more and look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

With Warm Regards

Emmanuel Nasila,

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Nice neat old style hotel - 3.5 stars. If you need to do work on the Internet you are going to battle, in theory they have unlimited wireless in practise it is almost non existent.

If you don't like stairs this is also not the hotel for you.

All said I'd stay here again if the price was right and it wasn't on business.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi and for taking your time to review our property and facilities during your recent stay.

I regret to learn that our product did not meet your expectation during this visit especially the fluctuations of Wi Fi. We at Jacaranda Hotel work as a team with the sole goal of providing our guests with superior service that will make their stay with us memorable and I am very sorry to learn that we were not able to achieve our goal during this stay. However, we took your review seriously and I am happy to report that we have since worked on all the areas you had mentioned and ensured that our guests’ needs are being addressed appropriately

once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that you will grant us a second chance to serve you and show you our improvements.

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming for the last 12 years on and off. I went from good to bad to definitely improving again. Reception checking in could seriously improve (usually one one staff in evening, when the flights from Europe arrive...). Checking out is better. Breakfast is fine but if you want to eat best to step out: within 2 minutes walk you have some great restaurant (e.g open house). As for the rooms: remember to close your second door inside or else you hear everything that happens in the corridor! Especially early morning....

Overall, I will continue to come: you can get better value for money but the location is spot on for my business trips.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dar_resident
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your informative review.
We are glad to learn that the hotel has provided a good location during your last 12 years of staying with us and for noticing the improvements made along the way in our service provision. We have embarked on a staff development program through continuous training to empower our team with the required skills to deliver desirable services that will meet our guests’ expectations, if not exceed and I promise that your experience will be even be better during your next visit.

We have noted your concern about the delays experienced during check-in which is being addressed and we promise a much faster and efficient check-in next time. We apologize for not meeting your expectations on this but happy to note that your check-out has always been flawless. Our chefs were delighted to hear of your kind words on breakfast and have since made tremendous improvements on our menu and would like to hear your comments regarding our dishes during your next visit.

I have also noted your worries about the noises being heard from corridors and I would like to share with you that the hotel has planned a major face lift of the property and noise control has been given priority. In the meantime, we have stepped up control measures to minimize traffic along our corridors with our staff being actively involved.

We are equally humbled by your confidence in us and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I've been staying at the jacaranda off and one over the past 8 years. They are on a upswing as of late. In Nairobi I have stayed at Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, former Holiday Inn, Safari lodge, Pan Afric Serena, and others. I keep on going back to Jacaranda mostly due to location. Of my experience Serenra is head and shoulders above the rest-if your company if paying. However the Jacanranda (I've stayed there over 30 times since 2005 and even got married there) however it has gone randomly from piss poor to ok as far a service and all.
Now since July 2013 it has been tops on service. I would mark it low on food and especially room service selection. I don't get when they also own the Pizza Garden next door they can't do a decent pizza-seems like a no brainer. However on my moment stay made the decision to take my belt off as I was packing so I wouldn't have to worry about it at airport. I didn't realize I left it behind until I get home to Dar so I text a colleague to look into it. He said he was on the way to airport but no worries when he checked out they gave it to him 'bagged and tagged' and said will you see your colleague. I'm sorry but that was the coolest move any hotel has done for me EVER! Kudos to jacaranda and their staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim B

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review about our property and facilities. It gives us much pleasure to note that our location has been ideal for you all these years as you mentioned.
We have always engaged our staff in continuous training with emphasis on attention to guests’ details to ensure that their expectations are met, if not exceeded and I am glad that you have noticed the difference in our service provision. We have also noted your concern regarding our food especially room service selection and I want to assure that this has since been addressed with a much improved menu now in place and the next time you are around please sample the same and give us feedback on the improvements.

We are also happy that you found the belt left behind during your last stay which was given to your colleague and I have shared your positive feedback about this with our staff who are equally impressed that you recognized their effort. Thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the Jacaranda for 3 nights while on a business trip. The hotel has seen better days although there is evidence of efforts being made to keep it running. The room was clean and bed quite comfortable. The furnishings were good and the bathroom clean with adequate toiletries and towels. The breakfast selection was fair although service could be much better. I ordered room service on one of the nights and the food was quite tasty and arrived promptly. The wifi signal was strong throughout my visit which was a plus. Checking and out were hassle free. The Jacaranda meets your basic needs if you are not looking for an up class kind of hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business