New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #32 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stopped here twice. It's a nice hotel and is very relaxed. Not the highest class establishment ever but that's a good thing and it has a bit of charm. Breakfast certainly varied and good quality. Certainly very relaxing and the Pizza Garden, associated with the hotel, is good for a meal. Again, not the best food but cheap, simple and easy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel’s food and service to be good.

In an effort to exceed our guests’ expectations, we are currently upgrading various aspects of the hotel including the rooms and restaurants; and your feedback is valuable to us as we improve.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Kevin Kimutai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Haslemere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a good hotel but not outstanding. As in most places that I have stopped in in Kenya, the staff are excellent and very friendly. Dining in the Pizza Garden, which is part of the hotel but opposite, is highly recommended as the food is excellent and cheaper than in the main restaurant. You can get a host of other things other than pizza! Security seems to be a priority as all gates into the hotel are guarded and locked at all times.The food is generally very good and there is an outstanding choice at breakfast. There is a good shopping mall to the rear of the hotel which has goods at reasonable prices. However, the hotel itself has a good tourist shop. There is an excellent outside bar and well and an indoor lounge. The only down side seems to be that their rate is exchange is poor. I would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel’s location, staff, food and service to be good. We delight in meeting and exceeding each guest’s expectation.

Regarding the foreign exchange rates, our rates are applicable by guidelines issued by the Central Bank, and your feedback will enable us to be competitive in publishing our rates.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Perhaps it was the location of my room, but my stay here was very noisy. This is a motel-style hotel and I had a metal staircase right outside my door. Late night arrivals and hotel staff kept clanking up and down the steps all through the night and early hours with the safari goers. As another reviewer noted, the beds are extremely hard, like a wooden plank, even with a 1" thick foam strip and cushioned bed topper. Between the noise and the bed, it was very hard to get a good nights rest! In addition, the cold water sink faucet didn't work and neither did the television sound. The internet did work fine, however.

The restaurant, however, was pretty good with a large selection of buffet items for breakfast and lunch and a pre-fixe menu for dinner. The lunch menu was interesting as it offered traditional Kenyan foods, and the locals who were there for a conference seemed to enjoy it. The garden was enjoyable; a little oasis amidst the hustle and bustle surrounding the hotel. The hotel is right across the street from the very good Sarit Centre mall.

Service at the hotel was very good and the staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the metal staircases.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank quinlad24
Dear Quinlad24,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you found several aspects of the hotel to be good, particularly the service, helpful staff, and the restaurant, breakfast and lunch buffet, and the dinner menu.

We have noted your feedback regarding the noise next to stair cases and we are currently looking at ways to sound-proof the guest rooms, including double gazing of windows. In mid September 2013, the hotel invested in new and very comfortable beds and mattresses for all guest rooms. These have been proven to be some of the best and most comfortable mattresses in the hotel industry. I hope that on your next visit, you will find the beds to meet your expectations.

Kevin Kimutai

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast is great, centrally located next to the Sarit Centre shopping complex. Reasonably priced and good for conferences and training workshops. The pool was not really used. The hotel is simple but clean. Rooms open to a hallway balcony which can make one feel unsafe. Not a luxury hotel so not so nice if you are on holiday.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Front Office Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you found the breakfast to be great and enjoyed the hotel’s location. Indeed we ensure we offer value for money and exceed our guests’ expectations.

The weather and temperatures in Nairobi have been quite low over the month of August, which has resulted into few guests utilizing our swimming pools. Nevertheless, we are sure that once the temperatures are warmer, more guests will feel free to swim.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Many thanks and regards,
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

2nd time staying at this hotel at the start of Virgin 'taste of Kenya' safari holiday.
The Jacaranda still delivers good value for money and they were helpful in providing joining rooms for myself and my family.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations, including providing adjoining rooms for you and your family. I hope that as part of the ‘taste of Kenya’ safari, we offered you a Uniquely Kenyan Experience.

I look forward to welcome you back to Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

Many thanks and regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Please bear in mind that this review is written taking the price of the hotel into consideration. It is based on what I expect from a hotel charging US$200+ per night and what other hotels in this price range have to offer.

As I came on business internet was crucial for me. As other people mentioned the hotel internet is utterly useless for business. The connection is dialup slow (when it works) and keeps breaking off. I had to make alternative plans for internet.

The hostel style foam mattresses are so hard you may just as well sleep on the floor. This is no joke, I have never experienced a mattress so hard. I had backaches after the first night even though I am used to hard mattresses. The sheets were clean but the wool blanket in between the sheets was not...

The hotel is also ridiculously noisy. Make sure you get a room away from the main stair cases if you want to get any sleep at all. Noisy tourists will wake you late at night and early in the morning. While my room's neighbours were quiet I could still hear them fart and go number 2. Opposite the hotel is the pizza garden which is a restaurant/bar/club. Problem is the loud music on weekends which goes on until maybe 4am and makes it impossible for anyone to get any sleep. No need for a stereo, you can hear the music loud and clear.

The restaurant is also not great and way overpriced. Ksh 350 for a beer is nothing short of London prices yet this is Kenya. Take a short walk of 100m and eat at the Sankara or a local restaurant instead.

To top things of are what can only be sex workers hanging at the bar. Maybe though this is the same for hotels in this city...

This all would be acceptable if the price was right but at $200 per night one really should expect more. Do yourself a favour and rather stay at the Sakara next door.

Pros, well the staff was very friendly, location is alright, nice pool and gym.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

We experienced technical and infrastructural challenges with the wireless internet in late June and early July 2013, during which time internet access was fluctuating. However, we moved with speed to address the challenges and resolve the problems both on the short and long terms. We eventually resolved all the issues and from 12th July 2013 the internet has been fast, efficient and reliable. From our guest feedback in the hotel, they are satisfied with the speed, accessibility and reliability of the internet. To date, the wireless internet is working and has been fast and efficient.

We have embarked on upgrading our hotel in every aspect, and among these will be the beds and mattresses. We have already acquired new ones that are very comfortable to ensure a good night’s rest. In addition, we shall be reviewing our guests’ feedback so that we focus on improving and meeting every expectation.

I empathize that the noise from the corridor and human activity in the adjacent room kept you awake. We have taken steps to ensure our pizza garden music levels is not loud to be heard in the hotel and also on the long term double glazing the room windows for minimizing external sound. I have taken note of your feedback and will ensure that on your future visits, we allocate you a room well away from potential noise.

As in any other hotel and destinaltion in the world, the issue of 'sex workers' is of great concern, and as you would agree, this age old ‘profession’ has been evolving over the decades. Nevertheless we are taking steps to ensure the security, comfort and peace of mind of each guest staying with us. Jacaranda Hotel is well known for its calm and comfort for business travellers, leisure travellers and the whole family.

Hotel accommodation is competitively priced in Nairobi, and in line with hospitality industry standards and best practice, we strive to exceed each guest’s expectation by offering professional friendly service.

I would like to personally get in touch with you to get the specific details of your feedback in an effort to avoid recurrence. Please feel free to email me on kevin.kimutai@jacarandahotels.com and I will get in touch with you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you to Jacaranda hotel.

Odense, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I tend to get bored with minimalistic style, all-look-the-same hotels around the world, and really enjoyed staying at the Jacaranda Hotel in Nairobi last week.

Fantastic garden and pool area, friendly and welcoming staff and - most importantly - colonial style ambience! Affordable rates - I had a non-A/C room and really enjoyed the quiet swing and the soft, fresh air from the large fan!

I will be back to Nairobi soon and I most definitely will stay at the Jacaranda again.

Room Tip: Chose a room close to the pool and garden area to have fantastic view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jacaranda-Hotel-Rep, Manager at Jacaranda Nairobi Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Oestergaard,

Thank you for the feedback and taking time to review Jacaranda Hotel Nairobi.

I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the rooms’ ambiance, and the friendly and welcoming staff. Indeed, our staff are professionally trained to offer great guest service and ultimately exceed guests’ expectations.

I have also taken note of your room preference and will ensure that on your next stay with us, we reserve for you a room overlooking the lush gardens and swimming pool.