“Great Thai meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Emerald Garden
Ranked #170 of 534 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great Thai meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I went there on a Thursday evening with three friends and had one of the top three best meals that I have had in Nairobi? The food was excellent, full of flavour, and decent sized portions. The Fish Cakes where very nice, the Massaman Curry fantastic as was the Nue phad sauce mamuang. Finished off with coffee and Khao niao ma muang.

The wine selection is good, BUT at Kshs3,000 (£20) for the cheapest wine, which is a rather poor Boschendal Pavillion Blanc, which I would not drink in SA Their wine is expensive!!!!!

Pity that its does not have a BYO option so you could bring some decent wine at a reasonable cost.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Good food, good deals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

My friends and I went to the Emerald Garden on the Thursday of Nairobi Restaurant Week. The food was very good and plentiful given the prices. I got the three course option for 1750ksh and ate spring rolls, green chicken curry w/ rice, and a thai pudding. The green chicken curry was excellent, the sauce had a nice kick to it. The options on the menu are also fairly priced. Due to the ambiance of the restaurant (it looks very professional and formal), I was expecting the prices of food and drinks to be more (entrees are between 650-3000ksh). The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. They were very patient while myself and one of my friends waited for our other friends who came ~20 minutes late. You can use credit cards here and split checks (something that is surprisingly difficult to find in Nairobi). In summary, I would return to Emerald Garden even without the restaurant week deals. Don't be fooled by the middling rating Tripadvisor has given it, it was the best and most authentic Thai food I've found in Kenya.

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“I wish I could live next to it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

My friend and I went for lunch and made use of the 'Nairobi Restaurant Week' promotion. On offer was a set 3 course meal. In the end, we ordered a chicken satay, beef satay, and fish cakes as starters. For mains, we had chicken green curry and queen prawns in a kind of sweet and sour sauce.

The chicken satay was lovely and tender, not at all dry, but the beef was slightly tough and chewy. Nonetheless, the sauce was fantastic and was glad I ordered an extra starter! The prawns were slightly overcooked, a tiny bit 'powdery'. The chicken green curry was awesome. The chicken was still tender, the vegetables had a good crunch, and the sauce itself was good enough to have by itself. However, the rice portions were a little small.

The service was great and I didn't think the food took too long to get out, but it was lunchtime service, and I would presume it could be a different case on a weekend. Most starters cost ksh. 700 and mains at ksh 1000-1400, roughly speaking. It was also nice to see Thai chefs coming out of the kitchen, too.

I'd definitely go back for more and then probably order takeaway while I'm there.

Milan, Italy
“Very nice Thai in Gigiri”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Very nice restaurant closed to the UN. Food is very good, the atmosphere is nice (a lot of space at the open air) and quiet.
An excellent solution if you leave in the UN area.

Stockholm, Sweden
“To die for!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Visited the Emerald Restaurant for the first time - birthday party. What a venue, what breath-taking decor. As for the food, I am speechless. If the meal choice we made is anything to go by I could happily close my eyes the next time and point to anything on the menu and it would be fabulous. Considering we were a group of 15, the service was outstanding; the food was out of this world (strongly recommend the steamed fish). Having been to Bangkok several times, the Thai food at this place is very authentic. A very pleasant surprise.

• Visited January 2014