“Excellent amenities but some teething problems”

Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi
Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
“Excellent amenities but some teething problems”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Had a great time at the hotel. My room was excellent.

Reception and restaurant staff were superb too. Big up to Faith for being a great hostess. The drivers too were great company.

The House Keeping guys need to improve their turnaround times. My shirts were late twice in the morning. The first time around it took them over 40 minutes just to send someone to to collect my shirt. The in-room dining guys took forever to bring my order and when they eventually did brought a wrong order. My bar fridge was also not replenished until I asked.

2 Thank Luvos M
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Luvos M,
Thank you for your review and for selecting Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi as your preferred accommodation of choice during your recent stay in Nairobi.
My team and I are pleased to read that you enjoyed the comforts of your room and were happy with the service from our front office and dining colleagues.
Thank you for the note on laundry collection and delivery turnaround times, I have looked into this with our Executive Housekeeper and ensure you that this will not happen the next time you visit. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We have also noted your concern regarding the mini bar refill and will also ensure the next time that you visit your favorite items are refilled without delay.
I have taken note of your in room dining experience and the measures are in place to make sure you can enjoy the comfort of ordering from your room.
Please do keep in touch and let us know when you will visit next? In case I can support with any requests during your next stay, i will be happy to hear from you.
Manish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Hi. I really enjoyed dinning At Lucca- Villa Rosa Kempinski. Mind blowing dishes and beverages. Excellent customer service and friendly staff. Special Thanks to Restaurant manager and the hostess Grace Kimani taking good care of us throughout the evening. Very memorable..
All in all unique ambiance.
Generally the hotel is awesome with splendid amenities and services.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear alyasin2014,
Thank you very much for your review on LUCCA. My team and I are very pleased to read that you had an excellent experience at the restaurant.
I will definitely pass on your words of gratitude to the entire team.
We do hope that you will return to dine with us soon to try out some more of Chef Silvio’s delicacies.
Best Wishes
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

One has come to expect very expensive hotels that turns out to be very average, or below, in most Africa capitals. What a surprise the Villa Rosa Kempinski was. It is expensive but it is worth it. It it everything you expect from a top class hotel. The quality of the rooms are very good and you are drowned in service and friendliness. I only tried the Lucca Italian restaurant on consecutive evenings and it was excellent. I did appreciate the way in which they serve their wines if you do not want a bottle sitting by yourself. Highly recommended and i hope to be back.

1 Thank BC G
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear BC G,
Thank you so much for your recent review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. We appreciate the time you have taken to write this.
My team and I are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay the hotel. Thanks for the feedback on the rooms and your dining experience at LUCCA including the note on our wine list.
LUCCA is well known for the fresh home cooked Italian meals that are served.
At Kempinski we are committed to providing our guests with memorable journeys inspired by exquisite European flair. We believe life should be lived with style.
We do hope that you will return to stay with us soon, please do let me know if I can be of any support with the reservation process.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very nice relatively new property.
All the staff is friendly and are ready to assist with a smile. One of the best customer service experiences I have encountered in my travels.
If you need help booking a safari or any other activities George and Genevieve are the best.
The hotel is quite and caters to range of clientele including high profile persons such as President Obama's grandmother.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Micki G,
My team and I are happy to read that you found the hotel to be a quite oasis in the midst of the city.
I will most definitely pass on your gratitude to George, Geneviev and the rest of the team.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel once again in the near future. In case I can be of any support with your next reservation, please do get in touch.
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times. My biggest gripe is that they're insistent on taking a security deposit (100 USD per night, unless you complain.) for expenses when you check in. I can only think this is to cover the extortionate price for breakfast. I could understand the temptation to flee.

The hotel ticks all the boxes with decent interent connection and gym etc which are included in the 426 usd per night price tag.

The rooms are pleasant and the staff friendly but that's about all.

1 Thank Robert S
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 4, 2015
Dear Robert S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. My team and I appreciate your feedback.
Check in procedures at the hotel normally do include a pre -authorization on a credit card or cash deposit, this is normally procedure for hotels across the globe.
Thank you for highlighting that the hotel ticks all aspects in regard to a good hotel stay.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel once again.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is my second stay in the Villa Rosa Kempinski hotel. I was here around the end of last year.

I am so happy to note that the services have gone a few notches up since I was here last. The staff made me feel like a long stay guest by recognizing me and making an attempt to talk to me making me feel like a VIP!! It was fantastic to experience that warm African hospitality all over again.

Having said that what I enjoyed most was having an amazing seafood at the Asian restaurant 88! The sushi/ sashimi platter on offer was outstanding teamed with an excellent choice of wines!! The hostess attending to us was warm and refined making us feel right at home in a foreign country. I was informed that this restaurant is not yet fully open but lucky me I had the opportunity to sample the culinary excellence of the team.

The gym and spa services available are commendable too. The instructors at the gym are knowledgeable and passionate about their job.

Good luck team Villa Rosa. Keep up the good work and we will keep coming back for more

• Stayed July 2014
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Sbn07,
Thank you so much for your review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
I am pleased to read that you chose the hotel for the second time as your preferred accommodation choice in Nairobi.
Thank you for the feedback on 88 and for sharing the dishes that you enjoyed most, including the seafood, sushi / sashimi platter. We do hope that you will return to stay with us once again in the near future, so that you can try out the full range of the Villa Rosa dining options, which will also include Tambourin, our rooftop lounge which has Middle Eastern inspiration with North African influence.
Glad to also read that you enjoyed Kempinski The Spa and the fitness center.
Please do let us know when you plan on visiting again, and if there is any support we can give in terms of reservations or any special requirements that you may have.
See you soon.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

A bit late on writing this review as I stayed here in Feb 2014 and it's now july. The hotel was a few months old when I stayed there for business ...still has new hotel teething problems...patchy wifi and the air conditioning in the room was acting up. Should have been resolved by now. The room was on the smaller side (when compared to rooms at other Nairobi hotels that cost as much). Also had a room that overlooked the back of the hotel which is an overgrown field with a derelict building on it (note this is not part of the hotel but an adjacent property so guess there is little the hotel can do about it.) The hotel has direct highway access so good for getting in and out for meetings (and if you know Nairobi then you will appreciate this). The bar is a perfect place for evening meetings/ coffee. Tried the Italian restaurant there which is above average but no where near the quality some some of Nairobi's other Italian restaurants. Breakfast was good with an excellent spread.

Will visit again in the hope that the teething problems are resolved and the hotel is fully up and running.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank simbaonsafari
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear simbaonsafari,
Thank you so much for your recent review on your stay at Villa Rosa Kempinski. My team and I appreciate the time that you have taken to write this feedback.
We appreciate the comments that you shared with us regarding the wi-fi and air conditioning during the very early stages of our operation, please be assured these have now been resolved.
We do happen to have a very good location in the Nairobi, which has easy access to the International Airport, Domestic Airport, Corporate Neighborhood.
We do hope that you will return to stay with us soon.
Please do get in touch, if i can be of any support with your next booking.