“Good rooms, bad food.”

Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Moret-sur-Loing, France
“Good rooms, bad food.”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

The Kempinski Hotel is a sight for sore eyes in Nairobi, owing to the fact that it's very new.

Pros:
1. Large, fully equipped rooms, and a very comfortable bed.
2. Internet, considering you're in Kenya, is pretty fast.
3. Staff are very attentive to your needs.

Cons:
1. Food at the restaurant is really bad. Went to eat at Lucca, it's Italian restaurant, and could not really pinpoint what's wrong, but it just tasted awful. To cap it off, food is very expensive.
2. Some of the rooms directly face an office building. Better just keep your blinds down.
3. It's not centrally located in Nairobi, so if you have meetings, to top it with the Nairobi traffic, it might be too far for

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank vodkacran23
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear vodkacran23,
Thanks for your comprehensive feedback on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi and thank you for selecting the hotel as your preferred choice during your recent visit. We appreciate you sharing both the positive and negative aspects of your stay.
It is with extreme regret that we learn of your perception of the food at our flagship Italian restaurant, Lucca. We are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy our food. Lucca is known in Nairobi as the one of the best Italian restaurants, and we are sincerely apologetic that the food you received on this occasion did not live up to your expectations, and the high standards upon which we pride ourselves.
We have an extremely dedicated team lead by our Sicilian Chef. We have received many positive comments of both the food and service since our opening in December 2013.
We would be delighted if you could please contact either myself or Executive Chef Hans Lentz at your convenience so that we can personally discuss what you felt were our shortcomings so that we can avoid such incidences in the future.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel and at LUCCA in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This property really is a gem.
Check in was fast efficient and friendly.
Large well appointed room, only gripe no coffee/tea station.
Excellent breakfast.
Free wi fi.
Nice Spa/Health Club
No matter where you are in the property the staff greet and really go out of their way to make you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear whereswally_9
Thank you so much for your review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
I am glad to read that you found the hotel to be an oasis in Nairobi.
Thank you for the wonderful compliments in regard to the check in process, large room size, breakfast quality, internet connectivity, spa and fitness center. We want to assure our travelers of memorable travel journeys when they opt to stay with us.
The tea / coffee making facilities is definitely an amenity that we are looking to incorporate in the category of rooms that currently do not have this facility.
I will most definitely pass on all your kind words to the team at the hotel and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel in the near future.
In case we can support with future reservations, please do let us know.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Nairobi, as well as any other growing city in any part of the developing world, has been challenged to the limit on its infrastructure and has totally been overun by the fast population inflow into the city.
It was great to find this hotel during our three night stay. The hotel is a fortress giving you a sense of safety and security in a somewhat............city. Where do I begin, the rooms are very nicely appointed and very spacious with a great balcony. We tried all of the restaurants and they were all very good, especially the Italian one. Great BAR. The SPA is first class and their massage service is heavenly. The pool and the pool restaurant/bar is in a great location and view. But, but the very best thing this hotel has going for them is their staff. I wish I coul point out by name all of the staff that I encounter, but it would be un fair to those that i did not. They make feel good, safe, happy, pampered, unique and well cared for. To me this is a 5 Star+++++ hotel

Room Tip: A room with a balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, July 6, 2015
Dear balz,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
I am pleased to read that you found the rooms to be spacious and enjoyed the balcony facility that your room had, it’s also nice to read that you felt secure with the hotel.
We do have a range of outlets on site and LUCCA, Italian restaurant and deli is a favorite for many. Great to also read that you enjoyed Balcony Bar and Kempinski The Spa.
I will pass on your kind words regarding service to all my colleagues and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you once again in the near future.
See you soon.
Manish
London
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Nairobi is not exactly awash with great hotels but the Villa Rosa is a true gem. As a new five star hotel I expected great rooms and facilities but Villa Rosa delivered beyond my expectations. Of note were the wonderfully comfortable bed and spacious and well appointed bathroom. The only downside about the room was a lack of tea and coffee making facilities, which were provided on request.
Other facilities at the hotel are also a great standard. The spa is excellent and the gym and swimming pool well equipped and with a good degree of privacy. The hotel has a number of dining options and my experience was mixed. Breakfast was good in the main restaurant. The Italian restaurant lacked atmosphere and the food service in the bar area was slow. At the same time the food was good and I passed my negative comments to the hotel management.
The best part of the Villa Rosa was the staff. From the management down every member of staff made me feel special. There is a genuine Kenyan warmth that makes you want to return at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise it is best to request a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Geesan
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. We appreciate your feedback.
My team and I are glad to hear that the hotel’s room and facilities were beyond your expectations of that of a luxury hotel.
Thank you for the compliments on the Spa and Fitness Center, Kempinski The Spa is a new concept to the region and is proving to be very popular with guests. The treatments are definitely worth a try – they are extremely relaxing and rejuvenating.
In regard to your feedback on the service at the bar, I have taken this up with our Food and Beverage Director and this will definitely be looked into.
I will let all my colleagues know that you were happy with the warm hospitality at Villa Rosa Kempinski.
We would like our guests to have great memories of their stay at Villa Rosa. In case we can support with future reservations, please let us know.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel and feels just like the one in Geneva. Rooms are spacious and well finished and the staff are excellent.

Gym is extremely good and the pool is a decent size. Only down side, and it's a small one, is the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Small complaint, but there is something relaxing about being able to make your own tea when travelling on business.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Its an excellent hotel located in Westlands, very secure hotel with nice and friendly staff. They arranged an unforgettable trip to Nakuru for me as well. I had no issues at all during my four nights stay apart from the bad WiFi coverage on 6th floor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear alihameeds,
I appreciate you highlighting aspects of your stay, including the fact that you felt secure within the hotel and the service. Great to also note that you enjoyed the trip the hotel organized for you to Nakuru.
I apologize for the inconvenience that you had during your stay in regard to the Wi-Fi.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you at the hotel in the near future. In case I can be of any support with future inquires please do let me know.
Best Regards
Manish
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The location, the staff, the rooms, the food, all were excellent. If I had to pick a complaint it would be the slow internet, but given the quality of the rest of the offering that is only a minor point, if a frustrating one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear TheRunawayFound,

Thank you for your review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi.
I am so delighted to read that you had an excellent experience at the hotel.
We do hope that you will be back to stay with us in the near future.
In regard to your note on the slow internet, we are looking at increasing bandwidth.
Once again thanks for selecting Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi as your hotel of choice during your recent visit to Nairobi