“Feels like Africa”
Review of Gracia Gardens

Gracia Gardens
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gracia Gardens
Ranked #77 of 204 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
“Feels like Africa”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Went there for a conference and stayed for five nights. The hotel in several buildings is located in a beautiful tropical garden. The food in the restaurant was simple, but prepared with great care and was always good. The rooms are fine and cozy, but in my first room the shower had only extremely hot water. Couldn't be fixed so I moved to another room, which was fine for the rest of the stay. The staff was very sweet. I would stay there again, if I came on a private visit- Gracia Garden is not exactly a business hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Ingrid W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bolgatanga, Ghana
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Through my travel agent in Kenya, I booked for one night. When my plans changed (which could happen when you are on holiday), I had to cancel this booking, which I did a week in advance to ensure full refund, only to find out that they do not refund at all if you cancel seven days before arrival. So just consider that while booking, meanwhile I will never book with them anymore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

nijmegen
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent one night in Garden hotel, which was allright, and in a quiet street. However, one of the pillows had a strong smell,as if the sheets hadn't been washed properly.
Another night we spent in the Gracia hotel, which works together with the Garden hotel. This hotel was a bit disappointing. We had a view over a noisy street, and were kept out of our sleep because there was a bar next to the hotel with loud music. The shower was cold. However, there was WIFI available, breakfast was fine and the staff was kind. We celebrated a birthday at night, and the staff was singing and dancing very enthusiastic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Make no mistake, if you want a sleek, business hotel with mod-cons and super-fast broadband, this is probably not the place for you. The pool, when I was there, was empty (albeit surrounded by a charming courtyard), internet access was slow, but normally available and the garden was delightful, but backed on to a river with an 'interesting' odour.

But, this is very much a recommendation. Both rooms I had (I stayed at the start and end of my trip) were very comfortable, the mid morning and afternoon tea and coffee was a fantastic addition and the hotel staff couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast was great and the hotel is very secure, clean, gives an impression of being away from the bustle of Nairobi and is in a great part of town. Although the access wasn't great, I was still able to work remotely and I slept very well each night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew H
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This simple hotel is convenient as a Nairobi base. During this visit a lot of roads nearby were being constructed so the whole area was a bit of a building site, however the roads will be finished at some point I expect. It didn't disturb us once we were in the hotel itself. Discreetly tucked away behind big gates as is the norm. The main buildings such as dining room, resident lounge? conference hall, reception etc are wooden structures scattered throughout the grounds. Plenty of tropical greenery gives a country air and the sleeping block around 3 sides of the swimming pool which has a small waterfall feature at one end is central and practical. The rooms are basic, no tea making facilities although there was a writing desk, fan and TV. My single bulb didn't have a light shade but I guess the low wattage bulb would have given out even less light had it had a shade! As there was no bedside light switch I had to jump out of bed and go to the door to switch off the light at bedtime. The bed was large and comfy and had a small ensuite shower room The food was plentiful if basic but what I expected for the cost. The staff seemed helpful enough and ramps as well as steps meant suitcases could be dragged around with ease. My friend in a different room experienced a few noisy nights (a nearby party, howling dogs etc) but I heard none of it.
Not the fault of the hotel but the sun did not shine once during our 3 day stay :(

Room Tip: My friend's noisy room was up the top of the plot near the gates.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Gracia Gardens is a great little hotel in a safe part of Nairobi, just about 10 min walking distance from the Yaya shopping center. Rooms vary a lot so ask to see the room before you book it. Beds vary a lot too, from super soft to very firm. Warm water varies so make sure the front desk knows when you want to take a shower. The food was ok. There are several great restaurants located just a few minutes walk away. What I loved the most about Gracia was the staff. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others :)

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms closest to the driveway as it can get very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SwedishVagabond
san jose
Reviewed June 4, 2013

It's Africa! We felt safe here....very secure, and in a safe area... reasonably priced.. Not the Sheraton, but you will feel like you're really in Africa! I loved it. The food was good and carefully prepared for American needs. (careful preparation etc) Lovely area surrounded by the Embassies of various countries. Away from the bustle of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends