“Good Ethiopian food”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Nairobi
“Good Ethiopian food”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Looking for Ethiopian food, you have found it. Staff are friendly service very good. Though the washrooms need attention.

Visited March 2014

Nairobi, Kenya
“Authentic ethiopian restaurant”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to Abyssinia with my ethiopian housemate. I already loved the food and was very curious if she would also like it. She did!! She said it's very good and also authentic. Staff is super friendly, prices are fair and the food is just delicious!! Each time we went, we ordered those big plates where everybody can try from everything. I forgot all the amharic names for the dishes but everything we tried was really good. If you are not so decisive, the staff members will help you to choose from their menu. There is also a coffee ceremony afterwards with salty popcorn. yummy! All in all my favourite restaurant in Nairobi so far :)

• Visited May 2014
Lagos
“First Time in an Ethiopian Restaurant”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Prior to coming to Abyssinia I had neither eaten any Ethiopian meal nor had I gone to an Ethiopian restaurant. When a friend asked that we meet there, I was skeptical. Not being much of a foodie, I was apprehensive. I found Abyssinia to be a deeply traditional setting steeped in culture. The staff are friendly and displayed what I later learnt were Ethiopian way of greeting. Abe and Shitu (the run the place) were quite kind enough to teach me how to eat my meal in the traditional Ethiopian style. I am not so adventurous with food but the meal was great. I was able to use my fingers. We shared a platter and all four of us at the table had a great time. I took some great photos to keep the memory of the treat. I will be happy to go there. I missed taking the traditional Ethiopian tea though as I was late for another appointment. Well I guess there is always a next time.

• Visited May 2014
Nairobi
“Best Ethiopian food in Nairobi”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming to this place for quiet some time and I have always enjoyed this food ... I think this is the best place in Nairobi to enjoy Ethiopian food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Better Ethiopian Elsewhere”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Abyssinia has a few great things going for it: lovely ambiance with a traditional feel, spacious seating area, and convenient location in Westlands.

However, while the food was good, I must say, I feel as though other Ethiopian places in Nairobi--particularly Habesha--are better, both in terms of value and in terms of atmosphere.

While I was there during a very rainy night, a light near us began sparking--to the point where it was extremely uncomfortable to sit there, as we were jumping in our seat repeatedly. We moved to another area. Of course, this was not the owner's fault, but it did color our experience. Service was very, very, very slow and inefficient, in comparison to other places in Nairobi.

Finally, while the food was good, it lacked the complexity I've grown to love in many Ethiopian dishes. The meat was extremely tough, and the spicy dishes seemed, well, just spicy--and didn't have the flavor of other Ethiopian places I've been to, both in Nairobi and in other countries. A friend of mine felt sick after the restaurant, although I felt fine.

And to echo some of the other reviews--the washrooms needed a good scrub-down.

• Visited March 2014