WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Abyssinia

Abyssinia
Ranked #16 of 512 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Nairobi, Kenya
“good intro into ethopian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Have always been told of how good ethopian food is but had never ventured into it.

Was taken to Abyssinia by a friend who recommended it and for all the part he did all the ordering.

It is a taste that slowly grows on you i guess as its very different from other types of food.

Definitely something that we will go back for soon.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great first experience with Ethiopian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I'd been meaning to try Ethiopian for years, but just hadn't gotten around to it. So, being in Nairobi for a visit, I figured I'd give Abyssinia a shot since it seemed well reviewed here on TA. While the service is a bit slow, the food we ordered was delicious. Tip: if you've never had Ethiopian before, research it, which is what I did. I read a few things about the cuisine and which dishes might appeal to me and then ordered appropriately. Absolutely loved everything that was served, including the kitfo (like an Ethiopian beef tartare). If you're a coffee lover, a post-dinner pot of Ethiopian coffee is a must.

For me, a restaurant is 90% about the food, and Abyssinia delivers. Even if the service is not perfect and the place seems a wee bit run-down, I definitely recommend it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

good Ethiopian food at convenient location and good space!!! only slight issue would be the time after order but not a major issue.

Visited October 2013
“Long Night!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The rating of the restaurant goes to show how poor Trip Advisor is when making decisions on where to go out.
TA rates this restaurant a 4.5/5 ! Poor Show!

Please note, we were not expecting much, as we were in it for the experience; and being locals we knew we would not get a high class dining experience, but what we were offered was sad!
Negatives – No one talks us through the menu for a full 20 minutes….I have no idea about what to order. Drinks orders took 15 minutes per drink to get to the table, very often forgetting which drinks to bring (write it down next time), served sparkling water which clearly the bottle top was rusted, and the contents in the bottle brown (no apology offered), meals took – get this 1.5 hours to reach the table!! And that too we just asked the waiter to recommend and order for us, 1.5 hrs!! after repeatedly asking where’s the food it arrives – and guess what…..its COLD!! The hot items clearly warmed in the microwave, cause they were bubbling all over and spattering on the bowls, one pot so hot , the waiter drops it, spills it all over a couple of my friends clothes – he apologies, we brush it off cause were starving, no service recovery offered! Appalling.
Best bit, after we’ve eaten, we ask for the bill ………35 minutes latter, and after asking more then 10 times, I get fed up and leave some money with my friends to pay my share as I have an early start at work the next day – when I get home 15 minutes latter, guess what my friend calls me…guess what……Still NO BILL!!!! It took them 45 minutes to get a bill.
Ohh yea did I mention 3 rats crawling around the roof top during our meal!! We mentioned it, manager tells us, “ your scared of these small ones….you should have seen last week, the ones we had would make you jump on the table they were that big” !! bonkers absolutely bonkers!
Just goes to show….anyone really can open up a restaurant and Trip Advisor will still go ahead and rate them 4.5 out of 5!!
Positives - foods not that bad, and its reasonable on the pocket.

Ps at no point do I hold the staff responsible, busy night, 4 waiters, crowded restaurant, they were clearly overwhelmed…..poor planning from the top! Ohh and am not taking to TA just to b***h – I called the manager and shared my thoughts with him personally….right now im just sharing with TA!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RHSG
“Average Ethiopian Cuisine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were a bit disappointed. We eat Ethiopian food quite a bit. This is not the best Ethiopian restaurant in town. The service was good. The food OK. The atmosphere also good. They made a fire in the fireplace while we waited. Although the place was empty on a Saturday afternoon, the wait was long. At least 45 minutes. Not worth a second visit.

• Visited July 2013