WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Abyssinia

Abyssinia
Ranked #16 of 512 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Romantic, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
“Long Night!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The rating of the restaurant goes to show how poor Trip Advisor is when making decisions on where to go out.
TA rates this restaurant a 4.5/5 ! Poor Show!

Please note, we were not expecting much, as we were in it for the experience; and being locals we knew we would not get a high class dining experience, but what we were offered was sad!
Negatives – No one talks us through the menu for a full 20 minutes….I have no idea about what to order. Drinks orders took 15 minutes per drink to get to the table, very often forgetting which drinks to bring (write it down next time), served sparkling water which clearly the bottle top was rusted, and the contents in the bottle brown (no apology offered), meals took – get this 1.5 hours to reach the table!! And that too we just asked the waiter to recommend and order for us, 1.5 hrs!! after repeatedly asking where’s the food it arrives – and guess what…..its COLD!! The hot items clearly warmed in the microwave, cause they were bubbling all over and spattering on the bowls, one pot so hot , the waiter drops it, spills it all over a couple of my friends clothes – he apologies, we brush it off cause were starving, no service recovery offered! Appalling.
Best bit, after we’ve eaten, we ask for the bill ………35 minutes latter, and after asking more then 10 times, I get fed up and leave some money with my friends to pay my share as I have an early start at work the next day – when I get home 15 minutes latter, guess what my friend calls me…guess what……Still NO BILL!!!! It took them 45 minutes to get a bill.
Ohh yea did I mention 3 rats crawling around the roof top during our meal!! We mentioned it, manager tells us, “ your scared of these small ones….you should have seen last week, the ones we had would make you jump on the table they were that big” !! bonkers absolutely bonkers!
Just goes to show….anyone really can open up a restaurant and Trip Advisor will still go ahead and rate them 4.5 out of 5!!
Positives - foods not that bad, and its reasonable on the pocket.

Ps at no point do I hold the staff responsible, busy night, 4 waiters, crowded restaurant, they were clearly overwhelmed…..poor planning from the top! Ohh and am not taking to TA just to b***h – I called the manager and shared my thoughts with him personally….right now im just sharing with TA!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RHSG

“Average Ethiopian Cuisine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were a bit disappointed. We eat Ethiopian food quite a bit. This is not the best Ethiopian restaurant in town. The service was good. The food OK. The atmosphere also good. They made a fire in the fireplace while we waited. Although the place was empty on a Saturday afternoon, the wait was long. At least 45 minutes. Not worth a second visit.

• Visited July 2013
Tarpon Springs, Fl
“Excellent Ethiopian in Nairobi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a group of more than 10 and we were about half an hour late due to traffic yet they held our table.
The food and coffee was delicious.
Our June 2013 visit was our second trip to Abyssinia.
The wait staff took excellent care of us.

• Visited June 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“The best Ethiopian restaurant in Nairobi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The only downside is that the help that they provide you whilst ordering is maybe not as good as one of the more popular places. However this won't phase anyone who has ordered Ethiopian food before, and certainly shouldn't put you off. This place is truly excellent.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank peetkeen
“Average tasting dishes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I went to try this restaurant because of the good reviews I saw here in TripAdvisor. I was a little disappointed with what I actually experienced. The only good thing I had was the coffee. Everything else fell short in terms of flavor and heat.

• Visited August 2013