“Beatles night!”
Review of Tamambo Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Tamambo Bar and Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tamambo Bar and Grill, is located on the upper level of the Village Market, Gigiri. It has a casual trendy atmosphere and is open from 11.00am for coffees, lunch and dinner. With its varied and interesting menu it is perfect for discerning global tastes, offering a delicious selection of light salads, and snacks as well as appetizing gourmet dishes. The outdoor terrace has an alfresco ambience whereas the indoor cocktail lounge has a more intimate feel reminiscent of a cosy jazz bar Tamambo has become a popular meeting place with the background music setting the overall mood. Regular live bands perform every Friday and Saturdays from 9pm featuring a diverse group of talented musicians.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went on Beatles Saturday night - got a table and I have to agree that the food was not that great but I remember service was quite good though. The main draw was the live band which was really quite good considering that we were in Nairobi Kenya - so we will give it a Very Good rating for the music. The lead vocalist sang all our favourite Beatles songs but the sets finshed by 10pm and obviously started to make way to cater for the later younger crowds as out came all the shishas and we left. Only gripe was that we still had to pay a cover charge even though 3 of us were having a full dinner there.

There are newer reviews for Tamambo Bar and Grill

Reviewed July 23, 2013

A number of people told me that there was a 'tapas restaurant' in Village Market. Not a place I usually visit, but I was out that way so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm afraid that their tapas is nothing like the tapas I've experienced anywhere else in the world. The only thing it had in common with tapas as I know it is that the dishes were served as bite-sized portions. May as well call it 'dim sum'. The tuna sashimi was nothing like real Japanese sashimi, not even sliced the same way. However, it was reasonably tasty, and to be fair did match the description on the menu. The bitterballen were nothing special, the tempura style prawns were average, the baked potato skins could have been OK but they were cold (I was expecting them to be hot), the spinach and camembert samosas promised to be different but were pretty ordinary. Which pretty much sums up the dining experience at this restaurant: pretty ordinary, and not inexpensive. You're better off at the new Seven venue directly below.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Even though the food and drinks were not great, the ambiance and live music on Friday truly make the difference with other places. A great option to hang out with frinds on the weekend.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

As others have mentioned, the Tamarind group has a pretty good reputation, but I was unimpressed by this place. First up, its not cheap - but putting that aside, the food was just awful! We had Kachos to start with - which were OK (then again, how wrong can you go with chips and guacamole), but a little stingy on the cheese and as a result the dish was quite dry. The grilled beef salad was just, well, awful - could not finish it, it was drowned in a dressing which was way too sour, and as a result everything was swimming on my plate. My colleague's samosas were stodgy, not light on the tongue and crunchy, the spare ribs were basically OK but nothing spectacular ... all in all, its just not what it should be, and what the PR leads you to believe.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The usually excellent reputation of the Tamarind group was shattered in our minds by a surprisingly awful lunch. An earnest but inept waiter serviced us rubbery calamaris, reheated spareribs and a Swahili fish with a not-too-bad sauce over a chewy overcooked red snapper. Only the graciousness of the manager saved this review from being one star: after we explained our disappointment, he only charged for the (rather passable) house chenin blanc. Full marks to him for grace and aplomb. We just might try again.