“Good food and wine” 4 of 5 stars

Eataly Garden Restaurant
Ranked #281 of 464 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good food and wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Well recognised italian style restaurant which has other branches in Nairobi. This particular one in Karen has a very nice setting and you have the option to enjoy the garden view outside. I had Pizza and it was great, thin crust i was looking for with just the right amount of ingredients to make it a meal but not a heavy one at that. Good service and nice setting.

• Visited February 2014

New York
“Frustrating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I am gluten free and ordered the risotto with asparagus. The asparagus was mixed with the risotto as a purée . The net result was less than satisfactory. Earlier in the evening the manager walked right by without any greeting or checking to see about food or service. When someone did ask to see him regarding an issue he was told the manager went home for the night. I think wait staff work hard but disappointed in over all experience

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MetsNYC
Notre Dame, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Embarrassing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

A friend brought me to Osteria so I could host a group of 9. He had disappointments with the new management, but thought it would be a good place to host folks. Hospitality was great; we had no reservations. The outside dining only had 2-3 tables occupied. Wait staff was very good despite some mistakes with drink orders, starters and with a couple of entrees. The kicker was that 8 meals were served, except mine. The staff had no clue until I informed them that my red snapper had not been served. I told the others to start. They did, thankfully. Everyone was embarrassed because they were eating and I was not. We kidded about it, but while folks enjoyed their food, the time together was basically a disaster. My meal came while most were finished. By that time I had lost my appetite and telling everyone not to worry. I sent it back, even when the waiter said we would not be charged. I asked to see that manager, who I was told had gone home because he was not feeling well. That may be fine for the manager, but it left me and my guests in a very awkward situation. Osteria is a chain so I assume (right or wrong) their staff are not the best paid in Nairobi. This was obviously a managerial situation for an Italian manager who leaves it to others to resolve a real snafu. What to do? I do not want a waiter fired because it might be the kitchen. I do not want the cooks fired because of the waiter. So I put it on the person left in charge, saying, “You decide what we should be charged.” He was very apologetic, left and came back saying they would take 8,000 KES off the bill. I said fine, more for the gesture than the money which really only covered the tax and VAT. You decide if you would eat at a place like Osteria Karen. This is my experience on this night with this situation. I would not go back. My friend might because the food was good, as was the wine; but the meal was made uncomfortable because of the lack of oversight and care.

“Food Poisoning.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My hubby ordered for a pizza which one of the ingredients was ham and it was outright off and from the two mouths full he had was enough to give him food poisoning and he even stated vomiting 30 mins after consumption, I called the Angelo(manager) and he denied everything. It was very very disheartening and above all he made us pay. Lets say what goes around comes around, I feel deep inside like taking legal action, lets get this Xmas over and done with and ill let him pay for his big blunder. I'll keep you updated on how it's going. Irene.

Nairobi, Kenya
“It takes you to Italy and you are still in Kenya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had an anniversary dinner for our friends. It was their 6th wedding anniversary and we were a party of 10.
Fire place, private room, recommended food for the entire group, wonderful wine and a delicious Tiramisu cake mmmmwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
The service was excellent and I would be glad to go back again and again and take another celebration there!
It was a very romantic setting with the dimmed lights, we could make as much noise as we wanted without interrupting other patrons. All I can say is that it is a little Italian country in a wonderful African country called Kenya, nestled in a quiet, safe and serene neighborhood called Karen

• Visited October 2013