WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hemingways Nairobi

Hemingways Nairobi
Ranked #1 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“A piece of heaven in Nairobi, Kenya!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Had a chance to go to this place over the Easter and ohhhh it's such a wonderful place!! The view, the service and the overall location of this hotel makes it a remarkable place for a wonderful getaway!! Far away from the hustle and bustle of town this place offers a perfect place to unwind and to recollect your mine. With awesome views of the Ngong hills and sorrounding ranches with horses spotted around, it's just one word, breathtaking!! Not forgetting the delicious food that will make your mouth water. The service second to none. Overall, this place is exceptional!!

Room Tip: All the rooms offer wonderful view around and are cosy and comfortable!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mnjaramba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

After several recommendations by my friends to visit the hotel for a meal , i visited the Hemingways Nairobi and allas the hotel as whole didn't let me down. The restaurant was packed and we were well handled by the young Manager in Glasses (sorry Can't remember the name) whom we could see going round the garden set Restaurant ensuring the guests satisfaction.

The service was finest first glass and we could even hear patrons seated next to us calling their friends to abandon their plans and join them for a meal. Our waiter was very calm and professional. The food was excellent.Kudos Hemingways for making our holiday break wonderful.

For anyone looking for a dinning experience, Hemingways is the place to be.

A Kind advice , please is highly highly advisable to place a reservation with the Restaurant team.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank samuel N
Fred K, Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Samuel,

Your review is greatly appreciated and we are beaming because we were able to make your Easter brilliant. It gives us extreme satisfaction that you enjoyed our service and food. We look forward to hosting you the next time. Welcome anytime!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect. It's beautiful, in a gorgeous part of Nairobi and has fantastic views. The staff are unobtrusive but so helpful, personable and professional. You never feel that anything is too difficult, beyond their ability or their nature. If only for a night as a special treat or a week or two to use as a base to explore and recharge, you will LOVE it. We did and can certainly recommend the suites, epic luxurious rooms with beautiful bathrooms. The floral arrangements and butler service add and extra wow factor.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank DaveSomerset S
Fred K, Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Roger,

We are grateful that you took time to write a review about our hotel. As the leading boutique hotel in Kenya, we endeavor to ensure that our guests receive the best personalized service and we are excited that you did. Welcome back anytime Roger. It would be our utmost pleasure to host you again!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Hemingways Nairobi is by all means a beautiful hotel. It is set out in lush gardens in the leafy suburbs of Nairobi overlooking the majestic Ngong Hills. The foyer is imposing with grand staircases on either side giving it a pre-colonial feel as you walk in.

Unfortunately, that is as much positive as I can muster about the hotel.

I had a preconception that Hemingways Nairobi was in the league of Kempinski or even House of Waine but I really should have read the reviews here or elsewhere before spending my hard-earned money on notions other than substantiated facts.

On my first sojourn to Hemingways so that I could locate it and prepare a birthday surprise, I was greeted with silence at the magnificent entrance after going through a rather rigorous security check at the gate. I would have expected the same rigor to translate into service at the entrance. After accosting someone and explaining the reason for my visit (Yes, I had to explain why I was there), I was given a server. All she could do was give me a menu and read it to me. She had as much knowledge about the nuances on the menu as i had about pre-colonial architecture. And she was on the phone half the time!

I finally asked her to call a manager who was much better than her and who convinced me to have dinner with them. I had booked the night elsewhere. We agreed on some fundamentals that I shall get into later in this barrage.

On the special night, I brought the lovely lady all the way to Hemingways after tricking and turning so that she did not know where we were heading to. But just before we reach the gate, I receive a phone call rudely asking me if I was still on for the dinner (I was half an hour late) and I said I was at the gate. The watchman asks for my name and then loudly announces "Reservation for So-and-So", effectively spoiling the surprise.

My expectation and arrangement with the manager was a personalised meet and greet at the foyer for the birthday girl. As you would have guessed by now, there was NO meet and greet. By the time we reached the area set out for the dinner, my date had pretty much figured out what I was upto and the personal touch and surprise had been missed by a mile. At this juncture, I must say the setup was pretty romantic. But *COLD*! There was a warmer next to our table which I requested to be lit thrice and all three times, I got the answer that it would be lit in a bit and all the three times, it was not lit in a bit.

The food was bland. I returned half my steak. And my date was not particularly impressed by the chops. I made a simple order of french fries and steamed broccoli as my side order and instead received buttered carrots and potato chips, At this point, I was past complaining. The crockery, cutlery and table setting was beautiful I must say.

It is unfortunate that as a Kenyan, and someone who visits lots of outfits of this kind, i can write such a lengthy and garish review of a supposedly beautiful hotel.

Either the hotel decides who to give good service or is just a lousy place to visit. Either way, I strongly advise anyone looking for value to give Hemingways Nairobi a wide berth.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank BeautifulH0tel
Fred K, Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear BeautifulH0tel,

Thank you for bringing the above matters to our attention and for discussing this with us on phone.
The team admits that mistakes were made and we most certainly did not meet your expectations.
We also certainly did not meet our own standards.

Please accept our sincerest apologies and allow us to offer you an opportunity to experience the true Hemingway's experience

We look forward to hearing from you regarding our offer.
minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Lovely spacious lobby , very open and great views from the restaurant to the pool.
Our room was very spacious and comfortable with our own butler to answer any questions or help get whatever we needed , from extra coffee to offering us breakfast all packed for us before we left because of an early flight . Great stay will stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bortonoverseas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Let me start by saying the décor and furnishings are impeccable. Beautiful and comfortable without being over bearing, pretentious and frou frou! Which is why with great pains I write this review. Your food is AWFUL!!!! Which in my estimation is an act of either gross negligence or self sabotage, basically completely unnecessary and unwarranted. I was there for New Year's Day 2014 and everything we ordered was over cooked, dull and tasteless:
1) Macaroni and cheese for kids was overcooked and tasteless. Note to management, macaroni and cheese should come with the consistency of a quiche i.e. baked in an oven not pasta swimming in milk and cheese sauce. My 7 year old is undiscriminating when it comes to Mac N Cheese but even she was turned off.
2) My mom ordered spaghetti bolognaise-completely tasteless and dull-who screws up even plain spaghetti bolognaise?
3) I ordered a steak-it was tough as nails.
4) we ordered a hamburger as take out for my husband-it was like sandpaper!

Hence my verdict must be harsh-please get a new chef!!!!! You are doing a great dis-service to yourselves as a beautifully fitted boutique hotel! I would like to spend Easter holiday at your hotel but I am turned off by your food so will have to pursue other alternatives in Nairobi which is a shame!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Prampram
Fred K, E-Commerce Executive at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Prampram,

We apologize that you did not find our food to your liking. We are however at a disadvantage because you have sent this review three months after your experience. Be that that as it may, it will delight you to know that we have avidly reviewed our standards, and new measures including the sternest of quality assurance measures have been put in place to ensure the highest quality attainable.

We very much hope that you will consider staying with us again at Easter, which will give us the opportunity to show you our true food standards.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Gorgeous place to stay... we stayed in a suite complete with our own butler!!

The service, the location, the food, the room, the amenities are all beyond 5 star!! really makes you feel like you're back in the colonial era.... the furnishings and surroundings are impeccable!
Most definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: Go for a suite!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nabata
Dear Nabata,

Thank you very much for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed the birthday. Your recommendation is also very kind. We look forward to hosting you again and again!