“Great Food, lovely view and professional staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hemingways Nairobi

Hemingways Nairobi
Ranked #1 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Great Food, lovely view and professional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The view from the restaurant is simply breath taking with the Ngong Hills stretching across the horizon. We have eaten at the Brasserie a couple of times and I can highly recommend the food. There is a good variety and a choice for all tastes. The service was excellent with the waiters being attentive, friendly and professional. This is definitely a place to go for special occasions. The ambience, especially at night is lovely.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

On a whim, my boyfriend and I, along with two girlfriends decided to go for lunch. The Askari at the gate was pleasant and informed us that it was best to make a reservation for future visits, but he let us in anyway. My first impression was good customer service right from the gate! The front desk greeted us warmly and we had a wonderful time seeing the grounds, rooms and spa. Blaise was our guide and he was friendly and informative.

Grounds: I am a sucker for a good view and you will not be disappointed. The lawns are well manicured, and you can see the Ngong Hills in the horizon. Definitely sit outside because there is a grand water feature that may interfere with the view if you decide to side inside. The green patio is my favorite element about this place. I could just sit out there all day!

Food: I was surprised about the menu...for an upscale place as this and how the chef was lauded, the menu is similar to what you get at any good restaurant...steaks, burgers, pastas and salads. I was even more surprised that there were only 2 vegetarian items on the menu (I don't count salads as vegetarian items...we do not exist on salads!). I am a non-dairy vegetarian so the veg lasagna was not an option. So, I ended up ordering a side of truffle fries (nice but just a tad oily), spinach (the best!) and the pear salad. I asked for the dressing to come on the side but when it came it was dressed and overly done that the lettuce wasn't crunchy at all. Such a shame to drown perfectly good veggies in a dressing. My boyfriend had a huge steak (rump, I think) and he loved it. It was done medium, as he had ordered it and he said it "cut like butter"!

Wait staff: The wait staff were polite, smiling and willing to help but we had a hard time figuring out who to tip at the end of our lunch. We were served by 5 different people! That's a little much in my opinion. Also there was some miscommunication due to the number of servers. We started off drinking a Shiraz but when another server came to refill he said that they were out so we called the other server and they said it was still available? I think one server per table is sufficient. We did give our feedback to the guest relations desk at the entrance and she was receptive to the information.

Rooms: although we weren't staying in the rooms, we checked them out. Luxurious! I love the TV chest and the deep tub! I would love to wake up in these rooms!

Spa: We toured the Spa while we were there and went back a week later with 7 girlfriends. They were running a Christmas special (Spasterrie or something) for pedicures and high tea. Basically they booked the entire spa for us that day! Kate, Evans and the team were awesome! We had such a wonderful time! The only feedback we had was that some of the buxom ladies felt that the robes were too small. Also it would be a good idea to get some AC above the lockers/changing section. After using the sauna, steam room and showering, we needed a cool down to dress up (this was also communicated to guest relations).

All in all, a good experience, just some things that need to be tweaked to make it a good value for the money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Okay so having heard so many great things about this hotel, I decided to give it a try. Being a resident of Nairobi I only had lunch there- but I'm glad thats where it stopped!! The service was pathetic and the food arrived cold and bland! Nobody even bothered to check in to see whether everything was okay or give you any attention. Its really sad to write this because the hotel is located in the most stunning location in Karen. The weather was fantastic and the garden was beautiful but everything else was a huge disappointment! Not worth the money and not worth a second visit!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank kenyalanna
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear kenyalanna

I am disappointed that your visit did not live up to expectations and from your review it is unclear whether you raised your concerns at the time. I have checked and we have no record of a complaint on the said day. Perhaps as you are a local resident you would be good enough to drop in when convenient for you and we could get to the bottom of what went wrong. In the mean time please accept our apologies.

Regards
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Enjoy this beautiful new facility in the outskirts of Nairobi, in Karen Kenya. Friendly, well trained staff and the cleanest, modern rooms I have seen in a long time. Each room has a balcony for outdoor seating. This new facility was designed to provide a first class comfort.

Room Tip: Sit by the pool or enjoy the spa. The rooms are beyond your imagination. The staff is as friendly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear DonaldRLeger

Many thanks for your encouraging feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Best Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic hotel situated in Karen. Furnished with great taste, the rooms feel very luxurious. We had too dinners at the hotel and both were super. The spa treatments felt price worthy and felt reinvigorated pampered. During our stay we experienced only very good service from the staff, even when it came to helping us clean up in the middle of the night. Perfect hospitality.

Stayed December 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member

It was our absolute pleasure to host you. We hope you will stay with us when next in Kenya.

Many thanks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Sadly to know that the hotel Hemingways is situated in our neighbourhood KAREN. Today we wanted to have a short break from tje the hectic Xmas festivities but it was impossible bevause of a security guard named Mr Donald. Most incompetent, unfortunately. Today, 25.12.13 he told us that he doesn't accept visitors without reservation. I am surprised that he does select visitors at the gate. Anyway, for us living in Karen will not recommend any person in Karen and through the internet to visit that hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear peter w

As a luxury boutique hotel it is imperative we satisfy our in house guests as well as non hotel residents. We operate a booking policy in order to ensure we do not accept more guests than we can cope with as this would compromise our standards. Christmas day was a good example as due to the demand for our brasserie restaurant we were fully booked weeks in advance. Had we allowed more guests in it would have spoiled the experience for all. In future please feel free to make a reservation on 0718529070

Regards
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had a marvelous 2 days stay in this Hotel and all I remember is the environmental well-being, the service and the smiles of the hotel personnel! The food was superb and served within time! The colors,nature, the artifacts and view was just too amazing! I loove everything about Hemingways except the prices of course..!A good hotel indeed and I recommend everyone who loves nature and good service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear Malkia M

I am glad that everything about your stay was superb and look forward to you visiting us again next time you are in Nairobi.

Best Regards