“Great place, remote location” 4 of 5 stars

Hemingways Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mbagathi Ridge | Karen, Nairobi 00502, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Amsterdam
“Great place, remote location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel is great: modern, high standard, clean, great service, good food, beautiful and easily 5* Western standard. No issues with the property whatsoever (and the staff is amazing!). Restaurant serves great food (also Western) from an apparently Michelin star chef. Only downside of the property is location - it is located in a residential area (Karen) which is nice (expat and VIPs area) but far from the city center. There is not much around (few nice restaurants and a bar), but not any major action.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My partner and I went for Sunday lunch. The hotel itself is beautiful, and tastefully decorated, with views overlooking the Ngong hills.
However we were disappointed with the food. Our vegetarian samosas were beef, something the chef overlooked. My red snapper fish was unseasoned and inedible. It was very tough. Maybe microwaved then flash fried. However the pear and Stilton salad was lovely. The chips very greasy, but tasty.
My partner had sirloin steak which he said was tasty but again tough. We ordered cappuccino to finish made with either soya milk or semi skimmed. This international hotel had neither, which we found surprising in this day and age of intolerances! Overall a mixed review, could do better for the pricing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hemingways Nairobi, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Louise C

We regret that your meal with us was not to your liking and request that you give us another try. Additionally I can confirm that we have the range of milk options you refer to in stock; thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Simon H
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went and had the afternoon high tea, it was fantastic and very filling and rich and the portion for one was enough to share between 2 people, i will go back again but this time i will spend the night, in the rooms that were breathtaking

Room Tip: get the rooms upstairs for the live painting of the ngong hills through your windows
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Spent a night here to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were delighted by the legendary Hemingways service.The suites are luxurious - ours was the Grogan suite - with all the trappings that one would expect in what must be one of Nairobi's top hotels. The one blemish in the room that we noticed was that a small section of the flooring was somewhat warped but we were assured that the hotel was still in the "soft" opening phase and that these faults would be rectified before the official opening in 2014..
At dinner, we had to try the much praised steak and it did not disappoint!
The spa service, which we also took advantage of, was also exceptional though again, some of the facilities such as the sauna are yet to be completed.
The grounds of the hotel, though not fully mature, are immaculate and one can only imagine what they will look like in a year or two.
All in all, a weekend to cherish and a hotel to remember..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kibet M
Naivasha, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I arrived on a Sunday evening and was very happy to be welcomed by name, and went through the fasted check in to a hotel, I have ever experienced.

I was" bowled over" by my Suite (Karen Blixen Suite) which was very tastefully furnished, with large rooms, including an amazing bathroom, with an extremely satisfying hot" power shower"!

One can often judge hotels by their pillow quality- Hemingways had the finest.
All in all a fantastic nights sleep in the finest linen.

As I was on working trip, I did have room service for dinner on two of the nights that I stayed, this was bought by my personal butler, who looked after me very well, the quality of the food was great.

But..... wait till you have a steak in the main dinning room-Brilliant.

Hemingways has a gym with modern equipment, which I made full use of, but sadly did not swim in their pool, which looked inviting, or their spa which is getting the reputation for being the best in Kenya.

What else to say? I highly recommend this hotel, as it just outside the city centre, but has sweeping views of the Ngong hills, and really does have the feel of "old Africa".

Thank you to Hemingways for making my stay an enjoyable experience.!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig O
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed overnight at Hemingways recently, having flown in on an evening flight from London and was very pleasantly surprised. I arrived quite late was immediately impressed with the security at the hotel, and the charming manager and concierge who met me. They offered me dinner despite the late hour and got me checked in within minutes. Each of the rooms has a butler, mine was Enoch and he was very welcoming, knowledgeable and efficient.

My room itself was beautiful, spotless and well equipped. Enoch showed me the room and assured me that if I needed anything at all just to call. I ordered room service which arrived promptly despite the late hour and was very good.

The only negative things in my stay were that my room was very cold - but I do appreciate this was probably inability to work out the air-con! But they did have extra duvets in the cupboard so easy to warm up! Also there was no fresh milk ( or any milk at all) which made having a cup of tea tricky.

I had to leave very early and Enoch was there again with the buggy to drive me back up to the reception. Despite the early hour they offered me breakfast, which was great - I only wish I'd had more time to enjoy it as the menu looks fantastic.

Overall I was hugely impressed with Hemingways, the staff were kind and welcoming, the place was beautiful and I would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently stayed at Hemingways in two rooms (suites) as a family of four. The suites are outstanding being spacious and very well equipped including good WiFi connectivity. The whole hotel is beautifully appointed and there is a real feeling that attention to detail is of paramount importance. The staff were excellent and always on hand to help and always friendly but never pushy. The butler service is a nice touch but we were not compelled to use it. During our stay we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and all meals were of a very high standard.
I have stayed in a number of hotels in Nairobi over many years and Hemingways is head and shoulders above the rest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family