“A most disappointing Meal”

Aero Club of East Africa Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 547 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, Diner
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Aero Club of East Africa was founded in 1927 by the aviation pioneers who opened up the frontiers of Africa. It still retains that 1930s romantic charm and historical ambience. The club is the only restaurant at Wilson Airport, four km from Nairobi’s central business district on the Langata Road. It is on the edge of the Athi Plains, with easy access to the Nairobi National Park and Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. The restaurant has inside dining, a large eating deck and tables in the garden and by the swimming pool. It overlooks Wilson’s 007 runway and is an ideal spot to spend the hours before you leave on safari or to unwind on your return and watch planes and helicopters land and take off while soaking up the atmosphere in this legendary piece of Kenya’s aviation history. Chef Neil McCarthy and the Creative Kitchen Co. team moved into the restaurant at the Aero Club of East Africa on 1st October 2011. Neil has cooked and consulted all over the world, from London’s Mayfair Hotel and the Moscow Metropole to California’s vineyards and top-range hotels across Africa, including the Mt. Kenya Safari Club and Nairobi’s Tribe hotel. He is famous for his tasty gourmet burgers and dry-rub spicy BBQ ribs. He creates tasty international buffets and a la carte specialties. Sinful puddings include his New York style, melt in your mouth, baked cheese cake and home baked apple pie. He serves mouthwatering and seriously satisfying food.
Callaway, Minnesota
“A most disappointing Meal”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was in Kenya for two months and while there I see that Aero Club had jumped to the Number one restaurant in Nairobi so when I returned from the Coast I had to try it.

I was planning on going for dinner and called, but they said breakfast and lunch only which was a little surprising so opted for breakfast. Arrived at 9 am and no one there other than one gentleman having coffee and working his laptop.

As I am from the US I chose the American pancakes and maple syrup and a side of bacon.

The pancakes came and I asked for the maple syrup, and the waiter said it was already on the pancakes. They might have been moist, but no syrup that I could tell and he offered none forthcoming. And the pancakes themselves were like lead, not light like the American pancakes I know and I have been eating them for many years.

And I know maple syrup as a former producer and at one time named the Number One maple syrup maker in North America, the lack of syrup and non offered in a syrup container was most surprising.

The side of bacon was most skimpy and average at best.

So I have to honestly say it was as poor a breakfast as I have in a long time.

I will not be back, the Java House is of much great value and the quality of food is also higher.

Jim from Minnesota USA

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank Maplelagjames

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“A fun place to eat and watch aircraft”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I visit Wilson often on business and really enjoy eating at the Aero Club. I have stopped by for breakfast sandwiches before taking off and also for lunch. The food is good but I mostly enjoy watching all the air traffic at the club's out door seating. There is a play ground for kids and the airplanes are always fun. But it can get noisy because of the planes-- but, hey, it's an airport!

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Long Stay at the Aeroclub”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at the Aeroclub of East Africa, In Nairobi at Wilson Airport during October through to December 2012. Service was brilliant, the staff are friendly and wonderful and love to help. I was astounded at the good food, it was a huge improvement from previous years. I had the best Egg Benedict in the whole of Africa and you never get tired of their meal offerings. Everything is off good quality and generous helpings. The bee is wonderfully cold and can I repeat myself, the service war, friendly and efficient.

I am fortunate to be a member of this club for many a long year, but they do invite non-members to stay and enjoy lunch or dinner in their restaurant. Non-members can even use their accommodation. Good taxi services, good security and generally a wonderful place to stay and relax. I would certainly recommend the Aero Club at any time.

• Visited December 2012
warwick,ny
“Best place to dine at Wilson Airport”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

reasonable and they offer rooms too $ 50 pp for the night. We ate lunch between flights. Arrived from Meru and headed to the Mara, an excellent locale steeped in East African history

Visited November 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
“A place to belong”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The garden and the quality service plus security. Being my first visit my expectations were challenged.I learned that service quality can be gauged or measured with certainty.

Visited December 2012