“The best in Nairobi”
Review of The Boma Nairobi

The Boma Nairobi
Ranked #9 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have tried many hotels in Nairobi. That's my favourite one businesswise. Position is strategical: not far from the airport, so near to the industrial area. Security looks good. Rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast choice is wide. There are two restaurants. Honestly i liked the one in the basement the most.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hi MatteoZN,
Thank you for the review.
We are glad that you have found in Boma Nairobi a hotel you could call home. The Tembo team (basement restaurant) appreciates your preference and the alternate restaurant team is equally determined to add to your culinary choices while you are at Boma.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've stayed in a vast number of hotels all across Africa and I'm very happy to say that this one exceeds anything I've stayed in before (in its class) and I would highly recommend it to business travellers as well as tourists coming to Kenya to explore its beauty. Its near the airport so you would have to travel into town but my business was in the area so it was perfect for me.
The room is large and very well designed - its been designed by someone who has actually used a hotel room not like most other impractical and dysfunctional rooms I've seen elsewhere. It has a shower and bath, a desk for working at with all types of connectivity options with fast free internet, king bed, plenty of extras in terms of shoe polish, sewing kits, shampoo etc.
What impresses me the most about this hotel is that attention has been paid to the small things and that they have got it right completely.
The staff are really well trained and they have obviously taken time in choosing who they employ - friendly, efficient and professional.
The hotel is owned by the Red Cross and all profits go back into the Kenyan people and not some fat cat's pocket - what a pleasant change!
Check it out, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Hi PeteF621,

Thank you for your review.

Our team is grateful that you appreciated their service and for recommending us. We will endeavor to maintain the standards and look forward to your feedback when we get the opportunity to host you once more.

Regards

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I was at the Boma Hotel in Nairobi for a few days and the place is exactly what the home page says: a haven from nairobi city and it's traffic madness. The rooms are spacious and sparkling clean. great fitness centre with spa, pool, sauna, gym and aerobics facilities. The food was amazing and the service professional. Definitely getting back there.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hi Guyoh C,

Thank you for the feedback.
We are happy you find in our facilities and services what you would want in a hotel. We look forward to hosting you once more at The Boma.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed one night here as a result of a plane cancellation. The staff were incredibly helpful, the hotel was lovely, and there are terrific views over the grasslands – which I assume are the Nairobi National Park from the 7th floor. Only downside is that you need the airconditioning on in the rooms to keep them cool – even though there is a lovely breeze blowing outside as the windows cannot be opened wide.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi Tompel,
We are happy to have had the opportunity to host you.

Our pastry chef is excited that you enjoyed his creations and we all hope to see you back, possibly in the cooler months June to August where you can enjoy the cool fresh air.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at the Boma because it was convenient but you certainly pay for that convenience. It's only 5km from Wilson domestic airport, about 13km from JK International Airport and, if like us you're just transitting through Nairobi, means you don't have to drive into Nairobi and it's potential traffic chaos. The rooms as clean and modern, staff friendly. Hot water was an issue, we left it running for ages with no joy but after a call to reception it suddenly began working, switches somewhere? Probably wouldn't stay here again, not because it was awful but it's just way too much money.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hi NomadicJanna,
Thank you for sharing your views.
Although we are happy you found our rooms clean and modern with friendly staff, we regret that we could not give you value for money. Apart from the hot water glitch, we would appreciate any other feedback that can help us to deliver all round quality at most competitive rates and thus retain you us our customer. Please email us directly.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

As a result of a 12 hour delay on our flight BA paid for our overnight stay at this smart hotel just off the Mombasa Road. The rooms are spacious with every amenity. Great walk in shower, comfotable bed, efficient staff dealing with a considerable number of guests at short notice. The meal in the main restaurant was a buffet, not exceptional but tasty, breakfast was as good as you can hope with omelettes cooked to order, plenty of choice of fruit and juices, as well asthe usual suspects bacon sausages beans etc.

Perhaps the most surprising thing it is run by the Red Cross and all profits go to their important work with the local community.

With its excellent situation well worth considering if you have an overnight stay in Nairobi before your safari.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Hi NorfolkSpinone,
Thank you for your review.
We are also grateful to BA for exposing you to our hotel and hope that going forward; you will consider us favorably on your return visit to Nairobi.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel has a nice modern feel - probably the most modern in Nairobi. The staff are nice and the amenities (restaurants, pool, gym) are top notch. The views and general area surrounding the hotel could be better.

All of the positives above will forever be tainted in my mind because of what happened during my stay. To sum it up, some money placed in my safe was stolen. Upon arrival, I placed several new 100 dollar bills stacked together in the regular paper band in my safe and left my room for over 12 hours. When I got back, I opened my safe to do a count of how much money I had left. To my surprise it was short $200. I'm certain because I had had a similar incident occur at another hotel in Kenya (Sopa Lodge Masai Mara)... So I made a habit of counting my money frequently and I did so before placing it in the safe at The Boma. I immediately called security and told them what happened... they gave me the stupid 'we don't have access to the safe' story. Anyone with common sense knows that the hotel does have access to the safes, they have to in cases where the code can't be remembered by guests or when guests forget to unlock the safe before checking out. Anyway after admitting to having access, they said they would investigate to see who could have entered the room, other than housekeeping (the probable suspects). The following day (my checkout day), the head of security came to my room to give a report on the video surveillance tapes they had looked at. He said they apparently only looked at the period from when I arrived back in my room to discover the stolen money, till several hours in the future and saw nothing. How dumb is that? The money was stolen before that time period. Anyway after calling him out on the stupidity, he assured me that they would look into it further and get back to me as soon as they concluded further investigation. Till this day they never called or emailed me. I didn't think they would.

Anyway, I feel obligated to share my story so everyone is aware that hotels have full access to 'their' safes and the crooks that work there will open them whenever they get the opportunity. They are looking for a perfect situation like mine... They saw a stack of bills and pinched a few in hopes that I wouldn't notice. I'm left to wonder what else they would be capable of doing... Since they get to see all the personal items we put in their safes - passports, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't get my money back, but I certainly hope what happened to me doesn't keep happening to unsuspecting people.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank tsanwo

Hello Tsanwo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in December 2013. It is unfortunate that any positives from your stay were overshadowed by the loss of cash from your room.

It is true we have a PDA that can be used to access safes in our hotel. The gadget is in the custody of our security manager and once it is used your original password will not work again until you call in for assistance. It is on the basis of this that our security team was almost certain that if you did not get any difficult in accessing your safe, then it was highly unlikely that someone had tempered with it.

That notwithstanding, we regret the poor way the whole issue was handled. I know how difficult and painful it was for you to write the review as it made you re-live an unpleasant experience. Although I do not have any facts to prove the loss or otherwise of your cash, I am willing to reimburse you for your loss. Please contact me and let me the most convenience way for me to do this.
Thank you.