“Very friendly staff, fab cakes and coffee, clean, functioning, BUT reliant on air conditioning to keep cool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boma Nairobi

You added The Boma Nairobi to your Saves list
The Boma Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Red Cross Road, South C | off Popo Rd, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #5 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed one night here as a result of a plane cancellation. The staff were incredibly helpful, the hotel was lovely, and there are terrific views over the grasslands – which I assume are the Nairobi National Park from the 7th floor. Only downside is that you need the airconditioning on in the rooms to keep them cool – even though there is a lovely breeze blowing outside as the windows cannot be opened wide.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Hi Tompel,
We are happy to have had the opportunity to host you.

Our pastry chef is excited that you enjoyed his creations and we all hope to see you back, possibly in the cooler months June to August where you can enjoy the cool fresh air.
Aggrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at the Boma because it was convenient but you certainly pay for that convenience. It's only 5km from Wilson domestic airport, about 13km from JK International Airport and, if like us you're just transitting through Nairobi, means you don't have to drive into Nairobi and it's potential traffic chaos. The rooms as clean and modern, staff friendly. Hot water was an issue, we left it running for ages with no joy but after a call to reception it suddenly began working, switches somewhere? Probably wouldn't stay here again, not because it was awful but it's just way too much money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hi NomadicJanna,
Thank you for sharing your views.
Although we are happy you found our rooms clean and modern with friendly staff, we regret that we could not give you value for money. Apart from the hot water glitch, we would appreciate any other feedback that can help us to deliver all round quality at most competitive rates and thus retain you us our customer. Please email us directly.
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

As a result of a 12 hour delay on our flight BA paid for our overnight stay at this smart hotel just off the Mombasa Road. The rooms are spacious with every amenity. Great walk in shower, comfotable bed, efficient staff dealing with a considerable number of guests at short notice. The meal in the main restaurant was a buffet, not exceptional but tasty, breakfast was as good as you can hope with omelettes cooked to order, plenty of choice of fruit and juices, as well asthe usual suspects bacon sausages beans etc.

Perhaps the most surprising thing it is run by the Red Cross and all profits go to their important work with the local community.

With its excellent situation well worth considering if you have an overnight stay in Nairobi before your safari.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi NorfolkSpinone,
Thank you for your review.
We are also grateful to BA for exposing you to our hotel and hope that going forward; you will consider us favorably on your return visit to Nairobi.

Regards,
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel has a nice modern feel - probably the most modern in Nairobi. The staff are nice and the amenities (restaurants, pool, gym) are top notch. The views and general area surrounding the hotel could be better.

All of the positives above will forever be tainted in my mind because of what happened during my stay. To sum it up, some money placed in my safe was stolen. Upon arrival, I placed several new 100 dollar bills stacked together in the regular paper band in my safe and left my room for over 12 hours. When I got back, I opened my safe to do a count of how much money I had left. To my surprise it was short $200. I'm certain because I had had a similar incident occur at another hotel in Kenya (Sopa Lodge Masai Mara)... So I made a habit of counting my money frequently and I did so before placing it in the safe at The Boma. I immediately called security and told them what happened... they gave me the stupid 'we don't have access to the safe' story. Anyone with common sense knows that the hotel does have access to the safes, they have to in cases where the code can't be remembered by guests or when guests forget to unlock the safe before checking out. Anyway after admitting to having access, they said they would investigate to see who could have entered the room, other than housekeeping (the probable suspects). The following day (my checkout day), the head of security came to my room to give a report on the video surveillance tapes they had looked at. He said they apparently only looked at the period from when I arrived back in my room to discover the stolen money, till several hours in the future and saw nothing. How dumb is that? The money was stolen before that time period. Anyway after calling him out on the stupidity, he assured me that they would look into it further and get back to me as soon as they concluded further investigation. Till this day they never called or emailed me. I didn't think they would.

Anyway, I feel obligated to share my story so everyone is aware that hotels have full access to 'their' safes and the crooks that work there will open them whenever they get the opportunity. They are looking for a perfect situation like mine... They saw a stack of bills and pinched a few in hopes that I wouldn't notice. I'm left to wonder what else they would be capable of doing... Since they get to see all the personal items we put in their safes - passports, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't get my money back, but I certainly hope what happened to me doesn't keep happening to unsuspecting people.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank tsanwo
Hello Tsanwo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in December 2013. It is unfortunate that any positives from your stay were overshadowed by the loss of cash from your room.

It is true we have a PDA that can be used to access safes in our hotel. The gadget is in the custody of our security manager and once it is used your original password will not work again until you call in for assistance. It is on the basis of this that our security team was almost certain that if you did not get any difficult in accessing your safe, then it was highly unlikely that someone had tempered with it.

That notwithstanding, we regret the poor way the whole issue was handled. I know how difficult and painful it was for you to write the review as it made you re-live an unpleasant experience. Although I do not have any facts to prove the loss or otherwise of your cash, I am willing to reimburse you for your loss. Please contact me and let me the most convenience way for me to do this.
Thank you.

Attleborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We were taken to the Boma for dinner after flying in from the Mara to Wilson Airport and prior to our overnight flight to the UK. The hotel looked a great place to stay but we only tried the Tembo Bistro where we enjoyed an excellent meal and drinks; when I checked the bill back in the UK on my Credit Card statement I was very pleasantly surprised at the cost £25 or $40, great value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Hi Berdewelle,

Thank you for your review.
We are happy you enjoyed your brief visit to our hotel. The Tembo Bistro team is encouraged by your kind words and the rest of the Boma team is challenged hope for an opportunity to showcase what they can should you ever visit us again.

Regards,

Indiana, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The only reason we (me, my wife, and 15-month-old child) stayed at The Boma was because our flight out of Nairobi was delayed and British Airways put us up there for the night. Our experience at the airport had been exhausting, but staying at The Boma put a smile back on our faces. The service by all staff (concierge, check-in, restaurant) was outstanding and far exceeding typical standards in East Africa. Our room was spacious and luxurious-feeling. And our two meals in the restaurant, though mostly served in buffet style, were amazing. The quality of the food was excellent, the variety was impressive, and the staff simply insisted on doing all they could to make the experience pleasurable. I can't speak to the prices, since I wasn't the one paying, but I'd be thrilled to spend another night at The Boma should the opportunity arise again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Hello AmericaninTZ,

We are glad BA gave you an opportunity to sample our facilities and services. We hope we will be your hotel of choice should your travels bring you back to Nairobi.
Kind regards,

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice little hotel tucked a few minutes from the airport and Nairobi national park.

Service was good, food was good, rooms were great and best of all, profits go to the Kenya Red Cross.

Would most likely return here

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank charlesboham
AggreyB, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hello Charles,
Thank you for your review.
We look forward to your return as the team at The Boma is determined to offer you not just great rooms, but great service to match.
Kind regards,