The Boma Nairobi
$78
Priceline
$186
$157
All reviewsred crossclose to the airportdomestic airporten routewilson airportrooms are largeexcellent hotelworld classlong flighteast africabreakfast buffetmain restaurantmodern hotelconference facilitiesbusiness hotelnational parkshort stay
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Most hotels where I have stayed in Nairobi are overpriced (upward of $200/night) and you don't get much for your money. The airport lacks a good transit hotel within a short distance or walk. The newly opened Boma seems to fill this gap. Located off the main road into town (quiet), but close to the airport (30 minutes with a full on Nairobi Monday morning traffic jam, 10 minutes without traffic) - this hotel is modern, has reasonable internet, the staff are very friendly and the proceeds go to the Kenyan Red Cross. Nice restaurants, good room service, nice modern bathrooms. The only drawback was the bed was a little firm for my tastes. Definitely a place I will stay again when I transit Nairobi.

Room Tip: You might ask for a higher floor or a room not facing the parking lot. It was not too noisy, but I imagine it could be.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank B557
Ali K, Manager at The Boma Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi!!!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your valuable feedback in this forum.

We are glad that our product and service met your expectations as we always strive to offer professional and timely service to all our esteemed guests. We have noted your concern on the mattress which was a little firm.

Our location serves best for all guests on transit through the Jomo Kenyatta International airport and the Wilson airport.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and happier that you have promised to stay with us in your future visits to Nairobi.

Kind Regards,

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000 | (cell) +254 719 050 000

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a world class business hotel at a very reasonable price. I would put it against any Starwood property any day. At the same time, I found it to be very friendly to dirty and bedraggled travelers, as we happened to be on the last day of our two week holiday. At the price we secured it was an exceptional value.

Highlights:
- day-long (10-12 hour) tour arranged by the hotel was at the lower end of quotes we'd received from others in Nairobi, and was very comfortable and efficient
- hotel room service dinner was excellent and reasonably priced
- breakfast buffet was outstanding
- transfer to and from the airport was painless

Tips
- Just take an official taxi from the airport, it's fast, easy, and the cheapest option. As I recall it was a fixed rate of something like 1800 Ksh

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Easily accessible from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport makes The Boma a good option when travel plans demand an overnight stay in Nairobi. It is not a cheap option however, at USD $250 for a single room, I pretty much expect 5* service from start to end.

The hotel is situated just off the Mombasa Road, the surrounding views are uninspiring, its buildings, more buildings and yes, more buildings but The Boma itself is finished to a reasonably good standard, just don't look too carefully at the finishing. I choose the Boma over the Eka and Ole Sereni simply because of their commitment that all profits would be passed to the Red Cross.

Check-in took approximately 15 minutes, I appreciate that the hotel is new and the staff are becoming accustomed to the systems. Fortunately as I was the only one checking-in this was not a problem, had there been a queue behind me I can imagine that many would have become rapidly frustrated.

My room was large and airy with a good sized bathroom (more about that later) with good A/C, I couldn't open the window wide which would have been my preference but it wasn't the end of the world. Bed linen was immaculately clean, the bed itself - very firm. TV reception was poor on most channels with very little entertainment choice - plenty of news channels!

The shower looks fabulous but I disappointed by the actual output of the giant showerhead, that was until I tried to leave the shower cubicle and found that the water had been pouring from the joint in the ceiling and had showered the entire bathroom with water covering the floor and out into the hallway and onto the bedroom carpet. Everything in the bathroom was soaked including powerpoints. Manoevuring carefully out of the bathroom I promptly slipped on the tiles in the hallway, falling heavily on one knee and cutting a finger on the edge of the tile. I called to ask for someone to come and clean up the water as all of the towelling products provided in the room did not come close to soaking it all up. I was promised an immediate response. 20 minutes later I called again and this time some cleaning staff did arrive within 30 minutes together with the duty manager and customer relations.

Breakfast was predominantly buffet service, with hot dishes prepared to order. An excellent choice was available, the staff friendly and helpful. Seating options are available both in and outside.

Overall the hotel has the potential to be a good four star business hotel/transit hotel; my experience and the way it was handled unfortunately soured my experience - as such I will not return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank SANDJAW

Dear Madam,

Greetings from the Boma, Nairobi!!!

First and foremost i wish to thank you for staying with us during your past visit to Nairobi and for your utmost sincere feedback. It is our mission to ensure that all our guests are accorded the best service but clearly at this instant we did not meet your expectations.

On behalf of the hotel management, i wish to apologise for the inconveniences caused from the slow check in process, delayed response from our team and for falling due to the slippery floor tiles.

I have communicated to all my colleaques responsible and we are putting measures to ensure that it does not occur again to you and all our guests.

I am happy that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant and that the service was good and request you to give us another opportunity to serve you better than your previous visit.

Kind Regards,

Ali Kibwana | Rooms Division Manager | The Boma Hotels | P.O. Box 26601-00100

(office) +254 20 3904000| (cell) +254 719 050 000

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a very good place to stay your first or last night in Nairobi, as it is near the airport - 15 minutes by car on a Sunday morning. The hotel was inaugerated just a few months ago when we stayed. It looks very nice and staff is great. There was a problem with noise (A/C unit + outside fan) in the room we got, but the staff were very helpful and switched us to a different room.

There's not much near the hotel, but there are two good restaurants in the hotel. Very good gym! Pool area is OK, but a bit noisy due to a fan outlet one floor below the pool. Choose your sunbed with care, as some areas have less noise than others. The hotel really should fix this fan issue though, as you hear the fan in all rooms facing the pool, even on the top floor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pool area as there is a huge fan outlet which you will hear in your room, even when on the top floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful, secure, and with an excellent staff well trained in meeting the needs of the guests. I was traveling alone, first time in Nairobi, and had searched online for a hotel that represented Kenya beautifully and was well liked by its guests. This hotel is a gem, with service as personal as a boutique hotel, and all the amenities of a first class luxury hotel. I spent 3 days the first time, and one on the true turn to Nairobi. It was a special part of my memories of my trip.

The front desk even arranged a staff member to be a driver guide for me to tour the places I most wanted to see in Nairobi, and at a significantly reduced cost over my safari tour company.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room overlooking the National Park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo