“Impeccable Service”

Exchange Bar
Ranked #69 of 574 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings
Description: History comes to life at The Exchange Bar, once the site of Nairobi's first Stock Exchange from 1954. In 1922, The Long Bar,the Stanley's precursor to The Exchange Bar, famously took delivery of the first ever order of Tusker beer from Kenya Breweries. The bar retains the feel of a traditional English Gentleman's club while exuding a casual elegance and warm atmosphere. A perfect place to enjoy a single malt whisky or sensational cocktails accompanied with a variety of bar snacks.
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have travelled the world on business and this is the first time I've been inspired to write a review. First, the ambiance is tranquil and just what one needs after a day of long business meetings, calls, emails and sitting in Nairobi traffic. The entire staff provides exceptional service! I wish I could name all who have served me; but let me note Beatrice, Miriam, Robert, Richard, Charles, Josphat, Dominque and Joel. They all greet you with a smile. The seating arrangements provide an excellent opportunity to discuss business privately over an exceptional glass of wine or a fine single malt whiskey or a simple pot of hot tea (of course with excellent recommendations coming from the staff). I highly recommend this place to all who visit Nairobi!

1  Thank Gekko11
There are newer reviews for Exchange Bar

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Lovely environment. Big comfy sofas and chairs, mostly all leather. They bring around nuts & chips for the tables as well which is a nice touch. The drink prices themselves were quite high; it didn't seem like this at first, but then we realized they didn't include VAT/service charges. Amazing mojitos though.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

When you deserve a perfectly self-indulgent experience after a business meeting scripted by Sartre, or a safari trip organized by an anti-colonialist seeking indirect revenge for our ancestors' collective wrongdoings, stop in at the Exchange Bar. At first, I felt like had walked on stage to a recreation of an Edwardian period gentleman's club; and frankly, I checked myself to see if I was properly dressed. But as soon as we were welcomed by a genuinely smiling hostess (Beatrice) and settled into comfortable leather wingback chairs, we realized that this place was made to welcome and refresh weary travellers without judgement.

I have spent several afternoons sipping Coke Light or Tusker, simply drinking in the coziness and recharging my soul's batteries. The acoustics of the bar are designed to allow either quiet meditation or private conversations. You feel as though you have been transported back to the time when the Nairobi Stock Exchange conducted civil trade over gin and tonics (quite good top shelf selections) and a cigar (fortunately, although they have cigars on display, they don't allow smoking.

An after-dinner drink following a meal at the Thai Chi (also great) or nearby Andy's (or dare I say, even the Hilton down the way) was delightful, as there was a quiet piano player providing jazz lullabies to accompany our Drambuie and Talisker (each to one's own).

Forget the hurry, let the clocks on the wall displaying multiple time zones remind you that you're ahead of time somewhere. Watch the row of palm frond fans swish back and forth lazily. And know you are in good hands, welcome to stay as long as you like, and that you will be greeted when you return like a friend.

I wish more hotel bars were like this. Thank you, Ravi (or was it Razi - I was too busy relaxing to pay attention) for keeping a watchful eye on a great staff, having the bar well stocked, and, well, just Directing one of the longest running feel-good plays in East Africa.

And please.. restock the Port supply with some 10 year old ruby for my friend, Tom...stored at a proper temperature, of course.

1  Thank winxalot
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a very nice bar that has good food and a large selection of beer and cocktails. It is a very classy place with very cozy chairs and great servers. We stayed here all afternoon relaxing and eating before leaving for our long flight back to the U.S.

1  Thank brentsf
David G, General Manager at Exchange Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Brentsf,

Thank you for taking the time to visit us at the Exchange Bar and posting your most complimentary review.

we are very glad that you enjoyed the service and comfort of the bar.

The Exchange Bar is rich in tradition and history, taking this into account we aim to provide all our guests with an experience that reflects the rich tradition.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,
David Gachuru.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Thanks to The Exchange Bar team Ben, Beatrice, Robert and Richard for a memorable week. Keep up the good work!!!

David G, General Manager at Exchange Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Dennis Z,

Many thanks for you choosing to visit the Exchange Bar, enjoy its services, and post your most complimentary review on our team there.
Your comments have been passed on to each individual mentioned and their efforts have been recognised.

Many thanks, certainly looking forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards,