“Exceptional service in a very nice hotel.”
Review of Eka Hotel Nairobi

Eka Hotel Nairobi
Ranked #12 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at eka during or last trip to Africa.
Wonderful concierge and reception staff made this hotel a stand-out in Nairobi.
Close to the airport which was very handy.
A lovely buffet with a great selection (we didn't try the al la carte menu) for breakfast and dinner. And a dinner service period which goes quite late, which makes it ideal for those who come in late into the airport or get stuck in the infamous Nairobi traffic.
Overall a very nice hotel, with wonderful staff.

• Stayed: March 2014
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Joe,

Many thanks for your email and nice to know you had a fruitful stay at Eka Hotel.

We appreciate your outline of Eka and hope will give us another opportunity of service to you in the near future.

With best regards

There are newer reviews for Eka Hotel Nairobi

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at eka hotel on my visit to kenya. The hotel is clean and up to standards. The food pork spare ribs was yummy. The local beer,"white cap and guiness" was what I needed. Service by waiter 'ian' makes me wanna go back. Kind, respectful and smiling while addressing you.
I deffinately will go back again duringmy trip to kenya..
Try it out you will love it. Moses

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Moses,

We highly appreciate your choice to stay at Eka Hotel and wish for another opportunity to be of service to you and family/friends.

With best regards.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I've stayed at the Eka Hotel in Nairobi on at least a few occasions now for business. The positives include the rooms, staff, and location (if you want to be on Mombasa Road or near the airport). The rooms are very polished. Compared to neighboring Ole Sereni, I give the rooms here a far superior advantage. The space layout is thoughtful and modern. As an example, the power ports at the desk include US, European, and UK plugs. The lighting in the room is also good. Staff is very friendly and welcoming - I've had numerous positive interactions with restaurant staff, front desk, and hotel drivers. Location is good if you need to be near the airport and are only here for a night. Outside of the central congestion in downtown Nairobi.

The pool area is also a very nice place to relax. The exercise room is a little small, there is only one treadmill and one or two other cardio machines (though I've never had to wait). The exercise space is larger at the Ole Sereni if that is important to you. (In fairness, the Ole Sereni shares its exercise space with a local fitness club so there are members there too).

The areas for improvement:
-noisy lobby. The lobby and common spaces are pretty much a shared space. When there are groups at the hotel (for dinner (i.e. local) or an overnight) it is hard to miss them and it feels like they 'take over' the hotel. I understand why the hotel has groups, so this is just a by product of how the public space was built.
-rooms in the basement are bad. The last time I was here (February 2014), I was put in a room in the basement (split level so I had a window). The window looked right out onto the parking lot and I received no reception on my Airtel mobile phone. I was asked to be moved after one night.

It would be good if the gift shop posted hours.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Sonya,

Many thanks for your comments and nice to know you had an enjoyable stay at Eka hotel. We have noted your comments on areas of improvement and we promise to make your next stay more comfortable.

We look forward to another opportunity of service to you.

With warm regards

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spent a quick overnight here on landing in Nairobi and before I headed out on safari. The benefit to this hotel is its location, quite near the airport international flights land at and also the Wilson airstrip, where most flights out to safari locations depart from.

The hotel is really a business-type hotel. Well appointed, comfortable but pretty non-descript in terms of mood and ambiance. The shower is worth the price of admission, a glorious waterfall showerhead, but the bathroom is not its own room, but rather the shower and toilet are separated from the bedroom by only frosted glass. One might want to think twice about this arrangement if sharing a room with someone you're not terribly intimate with!

The room was good sized and linens and everything clean. The beds are pretty hard though, it wasn't the gentlest night's sleep.

Breakfast was excellent, a nice buffet spread and made to order hot food like eggs, omelet. Coffee hit the spot and service was excellent. I'd stay here again for all the reasons I mention here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Amybatt,

Greetings from Eka and trust you got back home safely.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments on Eka Hotel. We look forward to being of service to you in your next visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Eka Hotel and had a first class experience all round.

The room was modern, everything worked (including an HDMI link from the desk to the room TV; I was able to run both my laptop and iPad onto the big screen to watch films, even the shower wasn't the usual hotel lottery of freezing/roasting/on/off. It was also good not be be limited to a single device on wifi, I was unning three or four most of the time with no problems.

But it was the staff who shone. One morning there was a problem with my lift to a client, and when no solution could be found the duty manager, George (sorry, George, I didn't get your last name) took responsibility and drove me himself. It was an attitude which seemed to be prevalent elsewhere too.

That's the kind of service which makes a hotel really stand out.

Room Tip: The hotel is separated from the main road by some distance and a high wall and I expect all the room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Charles Brewer

We appreciate your feedback as it helps us monitor and improve our services. It is nice to know that you had a great time while staying at Eka Hotel.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Traveling into Nairobi can be tricky. EKA is located close to the airport, and you can be in and out if you are going to Masaii Mara for safari. I recommend you stay here and then head out the next day. The acommodations are 5 star. Beautiful rooms, great restaurant and good food. Super gift shop. Refreshing pool and beautiful areas to lounge in.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tish J

Dear Tish,

We highly appreciate your choice to stay at Eka Hotel and wish for another opportunity to be of service to you and friends.

With best regards.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived 4 hours late after a delay to our flight from Dubai. Our car made the short trip from JKIA and we were met by airport style security prior to a) our car being allowed into the grounds and b) us getting into the hotel itself. This is a sign of the times in Kenya alas. Friendly reception showed us to room which was fine for overnight but a view of a car park might not be great for any length of time. Excellent Shower in room (we never saw a bath in Kenya but I suspect that the demand on the infrastructure of the country is such that this is asking too much). Free Wifi- a good connection. Helpful staff though I just wonder if at times they are too helpful in performing services which are totally unnecessary in the hope of seeing a tip.
Dinner was in a reasonable and cheap steakhouse built into the hotel. Adequate breakfast served prior to having to get a pass from reception to allow you to leave.
At USD 275 a night this is way over the top for a hotel of this nature which I would regard as being slightly better than a UK Premier Travel Inn - GBP 85 (London) and 55 elsewhere in the UK- USD 140 and 95 respectively.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank theflyingdoctor
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear FlyingDoctor,

Thank you for your feedback as it helps us monitor and improve our services. It is nice to know that you had a great time at Eka Hotel.

We look forward to being of service to you and your family in your next trip.