“What little I saw was generally good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Safari Park Hotel

Safari Park Hotel
Ranked #20 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“What little I saw was generally good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I cannot give a full review of the safari park hotel as I arrived at 23:00 in an evening and checked out at 07:00 the following morning. It was realistically only somewhere to sleep before I commenced the 'Kenya classic safari' tour. The hotel was in several large grounds and it would probably have been nice to stay an extra day or two to recover from the flights and a long day traveling. As it was, my experience was limited to the room which was very well appointed. I was extremely happy with the accommodation and would have had no problems to stay there longer. The breakfast I would say was average to good. Check in and check out was efficient. My only criticism of the little bit that I saw of the hotel is that there are a lot of steps and they are not always well lit. Walking to breakfast in the early dawn light, I had to be very careful were I was placing my feet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Spent a week at this scenic and neat hotel.I loved the service and enjoyed the vibe and hospitality.We stayed and did our workshops here but it still felt like we were on a holiday.Not bad value for money, worth the visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Safari Park Hotel is in its own complex surrounded by land and swimming pools, restaurants, etc. The only thing I was not too keen on their Pizza's, but I did not expect too much....breakfast and food in general is excellent and they have one of the best gazpacho's I have ever had. They have an old 1930's Ford parked up, which give the place something different. The rooms are large and have beautiful wood floors and nice balconies. It's a very nice relaxing hotel with some luxury of times gone by.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week for a conference. Food was fine and room was clean. Could do with some refurbishment in rooms. They seemed a bit tired and dated in places. Breakfast choice was great and staff were all friendly and courteous. Pretty good experience overall. Not your standard corporate hotel. Some unique characteristics.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for five days on business, staff were very helpful and friendly!
The Room was large and clean bed made up every morning and night can't fault it. Food was ok tried all five restaurants.
I will be staying at the Sankara on my next trip though!! Awesome.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I believe this was an amazing hotel years ago.. It still has safari touch but crying for renovation or maintenance, at least. Rooms are nice and comfortable but all other areas are asking for some work. Be very careful with the water, protect yourselves from mosquitoes and think twice before you get into the pool. Staff's very nice, kind and helpful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zorana1981
Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I arrived from a five star stay at the new Residences at the Leopard Beach Resort & Spa and, having in succession on my trip stayed at Kempinskis in the Seychelles, Nairobi and the Mara was perhaps expecting too much, but the experience, mulled over for a few weeks now, was far from satisfactory.
Check in was perfunctory, almost mechanical but served the purpose. A walk of sorts followed to my room on Block 7, with the porter telling me the advantage of being that far away would be having a shorter walk to the restaurants, an illusion as it turned out. I had asked for a room near to the AFRAA conference venue, since as an aviation journalist it would have aided my work to be able to nip in and out of the room on the trot but was, when discovering the distance of my room to the allocated conference room, told that I could not change my room to one nearer as 'the hotel is full', perhaps just an excuse for being unwilling to accommodate my wish.
On arrival at my room I found that the sofa was being removed, leaving a coffee table but no seating, not even chairs and when raising the query with the staff and then the reception I was told the sofa would be returned the next day - needless to say I went without it for the duration of my entire stay. As journalists do, and as informed by AFRAA, I tried to find the wireless network dedicated to our conference but could not trace it. A call to the operator yielded no results either as I was told 1) There was no dedicated network for 'what conference is that?' and then to buy an internet package at 1.000 Kenya Shillings for an hour, an outrageous proposition at some 14 US Dollars before the operator offered a 2.000 Kenya Shillings per day option. She and in a second call the reception staff denied any knowledge that AFRAA was to have a dedicated wireless access point to facilitate invited journalists and delegates to actually file reports and updates and it was only later during the opening day that this was switched on, inspite of AFRAA staff assuring me and others it was due to be available from the day prior to the conference to facilitate communications for those arriving the day prior to the conference.
In view of this did my AFRAA minders authorize me to purchase a 2.000 KShs internet package which they kindly absorbed at the end of my stay.
The next rip off came when trying to change some money to buy airtime for a local SIM card, as while rates in the Sunday papers were quoted at 85+ Kenya Shillings the hotel offered a measly 78+ - giving the clear impression of greed being the driving factor and not customer care.
On the limited desk space I had in the room there was but one (crookedly installed) socket and my request for an extension cord went unanswered of course leaving me to use every socket in the room to charge batteries and keep my devices powered up. In the absence of the sofa I had to use the bed to spread out my files and notes.
I remembered the hotel when it was opened with much ado decades back and found to my disappointment that little if any major refurbishments have been carried out since then and the placement of a hair dryer in the bathroom, on a piece of plywood inserted 'Jua Kali' into one of the mirrors, speaks volumes as to the level of upkeep. I have documented some of the things with pictures in case the hotel management tries to put any positive spin on my experience, there simply was none.
The GM was seen at the opening cocktail, telling conference participants not to worry about security as there were dog patrols and armed guards, not the topic anyone would ordinarily chose to welcome foreign guests with, then never to be seen or heard of again, as was line management largely absent when the AFRAA staff had issues to resolve (like one staff waiting at the reception for over 20 minutes to find someone with a second key for the safe). Front line staff were friendly but they clearly THEY KNEW what was going on, considering the number of resigned shrugs encountered. DEFINITELY no longer the hotel it was even a few years ago when Mike Round-Turner was General Manager and an all round thumbs down from me. In a game of snakes and ladders I would say 'Return to the basement'.

I had by the way written an email to the hotel in advance of my arrival to meet with the marketing manager, a Miss Chege, and on check in that Saturday evening also left a message at the reception for her, followed by another one on Monday - to get but stoney silence in return.

NOT a 5 star property, in my book barely making three and I should know, going by the number of truly 5 star hotels and resorts I stay at during my regular travels across Africa. The choice to rate the Safari Park as average or poor left me to opt for the poor rating, to perhaps give them a sharpish reminder to look afresh at their hospitality management books and return to the basics of hotel keeping, upkeep and service and more upkeep and more service!

Room Tip: Perhaps chose another hotel to be on the safe side ...