Safari Park Hotel
$157
$223
$166
Agoda.com
All reviewsafrican restaurantnyama choma ranchafrican dancethika roadhemingway barcafe kigwahuge hotelfour posteran oasishotel groundsceiling fancolonial stylerooms are spaciousmosquito netbusy citygift shopmasai mara
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We spent 3 days at the Safari Park Hotel at the beginning of a safari. The grounds are beautiful and we spent much time walking around to enjoy the landscaping. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony overlooking the gardens. The acrobatic show at the Nyama Choma restaurant was wonderful. The food was entirely focused on the meat dishes including skewers of camel, crocodile,lamb, etc. The portions of potato and vegetables accompanying the meat were very small. We found the food at the Italian restaurant and at Cafe Kigwa to be of very good quality. The beds were very hard but we used the duvet as a mattress cover and that worked well! My only complaint about this hotel is the exorbitant cost of the wi-fi ($25.00/night) and the reception was very poor. Often you could not get on the internet at all. We stayed in 8 different hotels in Kenya and Tanzania and the Safari Park was the only one to charge for internet and it had the poorest internet reception.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank B0bNM
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We booked a safari and this was the hotel that was booked for us on arrival to Nairobi, unfortunately we arrived late at night and had to leave early morning.
The grounds seemed well looked after very lush in appearance and as you walk in the main lobby there is a huge elephant statue in the middle, the whole place was very eye catching. Had breakfast in the morning and it was plentiful and delicious lots to choose from. Wished we could have stayed there for a full day to experience this hotel it is very appealing. Large rooms with netting around bed rustic looking rooms very cool.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roblenore
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I spent a week in this hotel for business and have good and bad memories. On the positive side, the overall property is beautiful, the gardens are well maintained and it looks very nice and relaxing.
On the not so positive, the rooms look very old, bathroom fixtures in bad shape, door did not close and furniture was falling apart. You could see stains on the bathroom floor from leakings, the toilet did not have a proper flush and all faucets needed some turns to finally produce water.
Check out was slow and a bit rude, my group needed a specific invoice and the front desk ladies did not hide how annoyed they were with the request. The duty manager, however was very polite and solved the case.
There is no A/c in the rooms and some power cuts dureing the day left us in the dark until the generator kicked in. The wi-fi in my bedroom was non existent and unrelieable in several areas.
Food was ok, there are several restaurants inside the property and prices are ok compared to other places in Nairobi.
Could be much better with a little more of care.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TPietscher
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed at Safari Park Hotel in late February for a work-related training. The good: It is a beautiful hotel with outstanding landscaping and pools. The rooms are very comfortable, well equipped and most have decks or balconies that look out on the lagoons. There is a great sushi restaurant there but we ended up most nights at the Italian restaurant because a) the food was great and b) the staff so much fun (thanks Elias!). The breakfast buffet is extensive and in a good location. The not-so-good: the front desk is a bit clueless, or perhaps it was a language issue. On Sunday morning I asked where was the closest ATM and was told ATMs were not operating on Sundays (they were). I asked where was a good movie theater and the only one they could recommend was not a real cinema (later a taxi driver showed me where an excellent 6-screen theater was located). They have a fantastic gym but you must pay to go (which seems strange - why have a huge state-of-the-art gym if it isn't available to your guests?). The rooms do not have air conditioners and can get warm during the night. And - perhaps a minor thing - the lagoons are beautiful and are habitats for some amazing birds. Beautiful to look at - not so relaxing to listen to all night. The problem is that while some of the room's windows are glass and can be closed, others are just screens and it can get noisy. My first night I never slept soundly because of the birds. This is part of the "safari" experience; which is great when you are on safari but challenging when you are there to work and need a good night sleep because you are in meetings the entire day. In short - I would definitely go back, preferably when I don't have to work!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the lagoons are beautiful with great decks and balconies. The trade-off can be a noisy night however.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Safari Park is a lovely setting--I was there for work, and regretted not having more time to wander the grounds, just to take it in. It's really beautiful. And the room was nice, the staff were solicitious, the food was tasy etc. There's a reason they host so many functions here

But it feels as though they haven't quite caught onto this new internet thing. Making a reservation via email involved waiting days between replies, each reply from a different employee, none of whom are the stated owner of the account. And then when I arrived I was told I'd have to pay 2000 KSH a day extra to use the internet. Fortunately for me, it turned out that internet was included with the conference I was attending, but it struck me as ridiculous. And then wireless doesn't cover the whole room, was down one night, etc. etc. Speed was ok, though.

It's really a pleasant spot, and if they wanted to make a point of not offering internet, I could see that--you shouldn't vacation to Kenya to surf the web anyway. But for someone in my situation, traveling for work, I value a good connection, apparently rather more than the average Safari Park guest.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business