“Still expensive and slow internet”
Review of Safari Park Hotel

Safari Park Hotel
Ranked #26 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Thun, Switzerland
“Still expensive and slow internet”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is my second time at this hotel and basically nothing has changed which is positive. The only thing that is annoying is the slow and expensive internet. No idea why this can not be improoved... But all in all still a very nice and quite expensive place to stay.

The hotel is surrounded with lots of nature. Accomodation is located in different houses. There are a couple of restaurant which serve excellent food.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank eyewash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Arriving at this hotel, you get excited by the architecture, the porter waiting for you, cold towel and drink on arrival.

Then you check in... or at least you try to... Staff are perfunctory and not overly helpful.

Rooms at this hotel are dated and are definitely showing signs of wear and tear. The cupboards in my room wouldn't stay shut so I had to lean things against them. When the wardrobe stays open just a bit, it leaves a light on... not so great for sleeping.

Bathrooms need a complete overhaul. The shower heads haven't been cleaned in a long time and there was a significant amount of limescale build up on the one in my room. The water pressure is good but toiletries are not good - bring your own shampoo.. the one they provide had a foul chemical smell.

The rooms offer an insight into what is going in in neighboring rooms - what they are watching on television, when they're taking a bath upstairs etc. You can't see them, but you can certainly hear them.

The internet is painfully slow at this hotel and the connection per day is very overpriced for such terrible service.

Food at the all day cafe was poor and the service compliments the food. We ordered a vegetarian entree and it had meat but due to the dimly lit outdoor tables we couldn't see this in the dark. We also ordered a one type of soup but got another. The main dishes we ordered bordered on inedible. The staff don't seem to be fazed by this and they expect you to pay for your meal even if they make the mistake.

Room service is appalling. I asked for an iron and ironing board to be delivered to my room. When it didn't arrive in the evening, I asked for it to come in the morning so I could attend meetings. It didn't arrive in the morning either until 3 phone calls were made to get it.

Checking out was a disaster due to miscommunications between various staff members and discussion about the restaurant charges.

Order your taxi in advance and if they have none available from the pool, ask for one from outside or you could find yourself waiting up to an hour and they won't tell you this unless you ask. A better option is to take the number of a reliable driver you've used previously and call them instead.

Generally, the staff here didn't seem to care too much and for the rate being charged at this property you'd expect that the service would be impeccable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank citisurfer
Bangalore
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed in Safari Park, Nairobi during my short visit to Nairobi.
The hotel provides an excellent tropical experience.
Luxurious Rooms, Fine Dining, Great landscapes...
Sure, we will be back there on my next trip to Masai-Mara...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank GeeKay7
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Six months after my last visit (and review) I returned with my wife for business.

I still feel the hotel rooms could do with a bit of a revamp - but I had a better room (upstairs) in Block 6 with a pleasant view over the grounds. The grounds are what really make the hotel special + the wooden buildings.

Although we rarely eat Chinese food at home we ate there 6 days out of the 12. Two reasons for this. Our business lunches were very filling and we only needed a couple of starters (very good quality) in the evening. And, Kioko our waiter (and his boss Marilyn) were very friendly and helpful and made us most welcome out of the 5 restaurants.

Overall the staff are friendly and open. Again I (and my wife) enjoyed superb massages in the Spa with Lucy (in my opinion worth the money and a good tip on top). In Hemmingways Bar, Dennis knew what I wanted to drink after about day 3.

Our room was more than adequate and only let down by a very firm (too firm for my liking) mattress on the bed. We were glad for Doom as it rained a lot and there were plenty of bugs around. I only got bitten once in 12 days - so not bad really. Aircrew come and go at various times of the night - but earplugs solved that.

Having stayed in the city (Safari Club) two months ago I was glad to be out of the noise of the city. Although the Thika Road is not far away, the noise doen't really intrude.

I still think Internet Access should be free in a hotel like this, but would I go back? Definitely.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Joff_Day
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed April 5, 2011

There was this wonderful wedding for the children of my family friends that took place on 26.03.2011 that i had been invited to attend. Since i like touring i decided to get there early in the morning to have ample time to tour the hotel and see most of the facilities before we started the wedding program. The compound is so big, i think it is approximately 25 acres. The land scaping is excellent and the grass cut and the flowers well trimmed. They have several swimming pools that looked very clean, they have several restaurant and several converence halls. The scenery inside is very attractive.

The staff is very nice and very co operative. I liked their food - very delicious served by a team of happy staff. I was told most of their clients are business people. The wedding was a garden type and the reception was hosted in one of the big halls near the gate. Photo session also took place within the hotel compound due to its beautiful scenery, it had all what it takes. It is a good hotel for weddings.Even the photos that i took can attest of that fact.

• Stayed March 2011
Thun, Switzerland
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Clean but a bit dark room. Unfortunatly no A/C, ok for winter but in summer I guess it will get very hot. I liked the birds "singing" into the night, some people may find this bothering. The hotel has several very good restaurants, pool and a casino all embedded between beautfiul flower arrangements and large green spots of lawn. I liked the path that goes around the hotel village, I used it for running in the morning. I recall WiFi to be slow and very expensive.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank eyewash
London, England
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The checkin was fast and efficient. Staff were very friendly every in the resort. The Bar above the reception was very comforatble and relaxing - lovely coice of cocktails. Bitings with drinks very tastety. The beauty and hairdressing facility reasonably comprehensive and value for money. The pool temperature rather cold. Lighting in the rooms could have been better. Ideal place to relax after business if you do not want to travel to a safari lodge as this place feels like one. Excellent grounds. Fresh fruit juice - expensive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple