“I have just booked again - YAY!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Panafric

Ranked #14 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Bath, United Kingdom
“I have just booked again - YAY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had to wait a few weeks to write this review following my last one but felt compelled to write another as this is just such a great place so here we go:

Another Wonderful Stay

I was last in Nairobi around 12 days before the terrorist attack on the Westgate Shopping Centre and so as you might imagine I was slightly nervous as to what state the level of security would be. I can safely report that there has been an increase in security in terms of visible presence of police, security guards and army and I dare say that there is also a heightened increase with plainclothes security officers so at no time did I feel any more worried than normal.

My tip of the day-I would strongly urge you to seriously consider having a private driver to be with you for the duration of your stay. I never take taxis and they would actually end up being more expensive for the moving around I do during my work day.

I use a great chap called Justus ambanijustus@yahoo.com who is highly efficient-never late-extremely courteous-very knowledgeable and polite and respectful. This arrangement completely put my mind at rest and I know 100% that I am as secure as possible in this vibrant city tel +254 723970722 NB he allowed me to add phone number.

This particular hotel has excellent security with a double barrier system and under car inspection before arriving at the hotel. On the door of the hotel there are visible signs of increased security probably there to provide further reassurance for overseas visitors. Various scans take place, banks are inspected, fairly hefty security guards are inspecting everyone from a distance walking into the hotel and all in touch with each other by radio.

Okay, let's talk about the hotel itself. The welcome started with the met at the airport by the hotel car, a Mercedes and greeted accordingly. Cold towel, water, soda in the back of the Mercedes-all very impressive and I've never been treated at an airport before like this. This cost around $40. Incidentally following the devastating fire at the international arrivals terminal, they have commandeered the ground floor of the multi-storey car park and transformed this into a very impressive and efficient arrivals terminal.

On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted by name like a long lost friend and check-in procedure was excellent added to which, it was around 9 AM and I had pre-advised the hotel that I would be in early and “if possible” would it be possible for me to get my room early than the normal 2 PM check-in time.

They duly accommodated and I was also given a lovely upgrade to a corner room on the top floor overlooking the city of Nairobi in the background. The room was the same one as I had previously and has all the amenities one could hope for. added to this, it was immaculately clean and spacious.

There is a kettle with all of the normal accompaniments. A well-stocked minibar which I didn’t actually use other than dairy milk!

Samsung flatscreen TVs with the South African Sky equivalent streaming in and providing some good entertainment.

Wi-Fi is, entry throughout the hotel for residents

Each level of the hotel has a security guard by the lift 24 hours a day

Breakfast is an absolute feast and pretty much everything is available added to which the service is friendly and efficient.

All of the staff seem to be very proud of their roles within this organisation, part of the Sarova Group and everyone is engaging and helpful.

There is a small but very nice bar alongside the restaurant in a horseshoe shape with some additional seating. Very nice to have a drink before dinner at which there always seems to be some football on quietly in the background.

Special mentions to Bevaline who is always extremely welcoming and her communication prior to my arrival as before was prompt, efficient and very friendly. Catherine on reception went the extra mile in trying to get my local Sim card sorted out so I could use my Kenyan cellphone functioning. George for a warm welcome in the car that drove me to the hotel. Monica & Monica 2 who were always very welcoming at the restaurant. Ebrahim, the chef at breakfast you I shall miss dearly! Kennedy in the restaurant.

Lastly, one thing I can say about Kenyans is that they are generally very happy people and engaging. In every restaurant that I visited everyone says “thank you for coming” or “thank you for choosing this hotel” and they really mean it. They seem to fully appreciate that tourism has been dented and that there are security concerns from outsiders looking in.

As for this hotel, as before, it just gets better and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to prospective residents. This is ideally located for business and is very close to the central business district.

Don't search - - - -just book this place.

Check out my other reviews and I hope you find this useful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sarova Panafric. We do appreciate your feedback.

It's great that you have selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you will be coming back. Our staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. I look forward to meeting with you and most of all, hosting you again.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

+ Comfortable hotel, swimming pool, security to access the hotel and everywhere around, decent rooms and amenities, friendly personnel, restaurant and bar with themes, attracting lots of Nairobi people, so not just a fortress for tourists and business people, and a variety of choices, relatively green neighbourhood although walking around is not recommended, but this is true for Nairobi in general.

- Rooms are not perfect, some details show the hotel would need some renovation, showers/locker room to fitness room, not very clean, fitness club closed for repair when I was there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Olivier,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found us to be a good hotel in Nairobi. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. Please note that we appreciate every guest feedback and always strive to continuously provide excellent and up to date facilities that are suitable to guest needs. Therefore, the renovation plans of the same rooms are underway and we shall communicate once the project commences.

Feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and the Sarova Panafric online community.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed here for just a night, but it was a very cozy hotel. Not small and cozy... it is a big multi storey building a bit out of the city centre, but the rooms are very warm and cozy. Our room overlooked the road & to enjoy nairobi's crisp weather, I truly appreciated the big balconies the room had. On the right is a view of the city and on the left a view of the green hills. Room & bath were very clean with all the basic amenities. The breakfast spread was elaborate and would match that of any 5 star hotel. Service right from check in to check out was top notch. Would have surely given a full 5 had I stayed here for longer and they had given the same service!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Akshay_Wadke
Dear Akshay,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found your stay with us nice and cozy. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and the Sarova Panafric online community.

Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed at Panafrica during 5 nigths in december. The hotel staff is very service minded and friendly. The room was located on the 5th floor with a big balcony, very clean and spacious! Free WiFi in the entire hotel even by the pool side. The breakfast buffet is great with lots of things to choose to eat. Had most of the dinners at the hotel, well cooked tasty dishes, very european menu but no Kenyan specialties. I will definitely stay at the Panafrica again when visiting Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found us to be a great hotel in Nairobi. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and the Sarova Panafric online community.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The hotel was nice, great view, staff was great always ready to help, the buffet for breakfast was amazing, there was everything there, It was set up like you were at a wedding, I had a great experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Juliette,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you had a great experience while staying with us and enjoyed the breakfast. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and the Sarova Panafric online community.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Kayak and, because of the rate, was expecting a run-down hotel with shoddy service. Quite the opposite. Some of the rooms need an update (but I quite like the retro feel) but I had an excellent stay and will stay again when passing through Nairobi.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Luke,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you had an excellent stay with us. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and the Sarova Panafric online community.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed one night in DEcember prior to my Massai Mara safari. Already the first steps were welcoming and people were very nice and helpful. Rooms are really nice and clean, comfortable bed. The breakfast next morning was amazing and lots of choice. Since I new that I would return after my safari for a day-stop-over, I asked to leave some luggage in the hotel for a few days and it was not a problem at all. Returning after my safari I arrived early afternoon in the hotel and my flight was in the late evening. I asked to use the pool and when asking for a shower, they even offered me a room for short time to have shower and ready for my journey back home to Germany. After getting fresh, I had a manicure in the Spa, which was wonderful as well. Sheilla there did a great job and took her time without hurry!
A good hotel to relax and enjoy within a busy city!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo