LAICO Regency Hotel
$234
$174
Trip.com
Hotels.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been visiting this hotel rather frequently for the past three years. It has changed ownership during this period and going downhill since then. Food is mediocre at best. Staff try to be friendly but lack the experience and skills. When approached the day managers are generally useless. During last visit in August, renovation work was beeing done in adjacent rooms creating noise, had a leaking faucet, television did not work, There are many better and cheaper options in Nairobi.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a great find! I originally was in the Intercontinental Hotel for 3 days, but decided to move to the Laico Regency. It was a wonderful choice. In fact, I extended my stay for 2 weeks.

Staff was excellent! They were all very friendly and helpful. The room was bright, very clean and large. Plenty of hot water. Room service quick and very few mistakes in the orders. Good pillows and nice linens/towels.

Internet WIFI was included in the room cost and was very strong and reliable. Housekeeping did a great job of making sure the room remained clean and complimentary coffee and water was kept filled up.

The hotel has several restaurants: Italian, cafe, poolside bar and grill, Main Terrace. The food was always good. Breakfast was served on the Main Terrace, but I only had breakfast twice. It was fine. At the Italian restaurant, stay away from the "Italian Nachos". Otherwise the food was very good.

Within the Hotel complex there is a casino and small shopping complex. A foreign currency exchange/Western Union location in the hotel allows you to change money at a great rate.

It is hard to find fault with this hotel. The only things I can mention are: Carpet in my room was rather worn; Food item preparation and presentation were never consistent if you ordered the same thing on different days. Each time they were a little different, but still very good!

Next time I have to be in Nairobi, I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter: off the main road and away from the Park (the Park gets very loud on the weekends)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel used to b Regency. So the structure and building r nice looking.
Then it was purchased by Laico chain. The room is nice and large, decorated really nice with African touch. The bed, sheets, towels r new and nice. No mosquitos, Staff r nice and helpful , I really liked this hotel !!
Ok , only bad thing was bathroom.
The sink area looked ok.
But bath tub area is old. I guess they didn't get around to renovate the bath and wall and the floor in the bathroom.  And the water coming out of the faucet  is yellow.  Weak hot water. I hope they will renovate the bathroom soon.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Sofiamoon
LaicoRegency, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Sophia moon,

Thank you for staying at LAICO Regency and for your feedback.

We noted your appreciation for the African touch in our upgraded rooms. The upgrade is being implemented in phases and the next phase will be upgrade of bathroom facilities. Hopefully the phase will be complete by your next visit.

We look forward to hosting you once again at LAICO Regency hotel.

Regards
Gerard Bouchereau

Reviewed September 12, 2012

After spending more than $1500 staying at this hotel, I was presented on checkout with a minibar bill of around $40 for items I never saw or consumed. Normal business practice for most hotels is to write these off as an error, or at least give the customer benefit of the doubt. What ensued was a heated discussion at the reception desk, involving the staff member who checked the mini bar, the cashier, and finally the manager. All were absolutely recalcitrant and unable to adjust the small amount. I paid for those items even though I had only ever consumed items that I had purchased outside and put in the fridge to save expenses. Laico's bizarre management style is: the customer is always wrong.

They have lost one customer, and I understand now why the hotel was almost empty.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Timbo27
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was at this hotel for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed my stay...I was surprised by some of the negative comments I read on tripadvisor - my experience was positive. The room was spacious and comfortable, staff friendly and the hotel really sought to accommodate me as a vegetarian - some options were really tasty (and it is not easy to find decent vegetarian food in Nairobi)...hotel managed conference aspects well and all worked seemlessly...there is a pool and gym for exercising and position of the hotel is in the heart of the city...security was also good which is important currently in Kenya...all in all, an excellent hotel for business, conferencing and leisure

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear David and Jeff,

Thank you for staying at LAICO Regency and moreover for taking the time to post your positive feedback. This encourages us to keep upgrading our facilities and services.

We are glad that you had a great experience from the rooms to the friendly staff, meals and conference facilities. Your satisfaction is our reward.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Regards