LAICO Regency Hotel
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Jamiat Hotel(Nairobi)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Stains on bed, carpet, sofa, sheets. Phone didn't work, air-con didn't work, two lamps didn't work, very poor shower, hotel bar closed early. Unfriendly reception staff insisted on two limos to the airport as we were travelling with lots of kit at a cost of $100. When we arrived for our stay we only paid $30 for a minivan.

On the plus side the concierge guys were very good. Erm, that's it...

So all in all a bit rubbish. It's not cheap here so I'd advise taking your money to one of the many better ones in town.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank RichieEng
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have to agree with "ManagerUae's" review.

The entire staff is rude and has a ego problem. Complaining to the manager had no effect at all - he seemed completely indifferent.
We were put up here by our airline and after an incredible trip to Tanzania, this was so disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank nd n
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Had a group of mine stay there but was not worth the price! Entire staff have ego problem! Hotel aint at all a 5 star! Can probably pass for a 3 star hotel. One rather stay at the 680 Hotel! Air conditions have not been working for the past 4 years! lol! That's strange and the GM always says its being worked on or its pretty cool outside! Whats service is that?

Only good staff out there is the helper at the entrance of the hotel! and probably the house keeping!

You better not waste your money/ time staying at the LAICO! Not at all worth it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2012

One of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed in but really let down by the service. I checked in at 10pm and went straight to the main restaurant. I had been travelling since 4am. I asked for a beer and ordered the set menu. The waitress stood at the bar chatting and after 20 minutes I stood up to draw attention to myself and asked for my beer. The waitress turned and aggresively told me 'It's coming' and again carried on chatting. My food arrived before my beer! This type of service was typical of the hotel except at the Italian restaurant where the service was excellent. A little bit of training would go a long way. The rooms and hotel in general was first class. Ideal location for centre. I spoke to the food and beverage manager who was horrified to hear my story and promised it would be addressed. I hope they do as it would then be the best hotel in Nairobi

Room Tip: From what I saw, all the rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Maybe in the early 80s this would've been considered a 4 star, but definitely not by today's standards.

We were in Nairobi for a trade show, and stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. It is very centrally located in the heart of the city. That is the only positive thing about this hotel. The doormen very not rude, but not the most gracious either. The front desk staff looked bored, and seemed to do everything they could to avoid helping you.

The lobby was relatively clean, but reaked of smoke. In fact, the whole hotel did. The rooms were horrible. We reserved a 2 Queen bed room, and got a room with 2 single beds. When asked, they told us this is all they have. The beds themselves were hard as rocks, stuck right up against the wall. Furnishings are terribly outdated, room was dusty, and not very clean. The A/C DID NOT work. The TV was about 20 years old. The bathroom, though huge, was...well, what can I say..."yucky!" The shower door cannot possibly close, so that after a two minute shower, the whole bathroom floor is soaking wet.

Despite a non smoking room, on a non smoking floor, the guest in the room next to us was smoking. When I called the front desk, what was their response? "Sir, this is Africa." Are you serious?

The food throughout the hotel was overpriced, and not very good. Service was shoddy at best. I don't know if this is the general state of hotels in Nairobi--some people I talked to said that Nairobi isn't a big tourist destination, so hotels haven't been updated in town. Most of the luxury type places are out where the safaris are. However, I visited a colleague staying in the Westlands area. This is where most of the expats live. The hotels here are small boutique type properties, but seem very luxurious for half the price. The only drawback is that with Nairobi traffic, it could take a while to get into the city. I definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room on a high floor for a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business