“Comfotable, nice food - slow service!”
Review of Sarova Stanley

Sarova Stanley
Ranked #5 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed here whilst on a conference in Nairobi. This was my first African experience and I enjoyed it very much. The hotel was classed as a 5 star, which I'm not quite sure it was but the staff were very friendly and the food was excellent. Serivce was very, very slow, annoyingly so in some cases when were in a rush to get back to our work. I'm told this is just the African way though and if I were on holiday, it wouldn't have been a problem. The hotel itself is well situated and the guards took a great deal of care over us, making sure we were safely looked after whenever we travelled anywhere. The hotel pool was lovely, really warm, almost like a bath and we had full access to the gym and sauna facilities, which was great. I would say though, it was quite noisy and the streets outside got very noisy at night, which could be heard from the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AllyShone
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking time to give us your earnest review of the hotel.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us as you attended your conference in the heart of Nairobi's central business district. We have noted your concern on our speed of service and we are addressing this unlikely event. We would like to get in touch with you to update you on progress. Kindly reach us on telephone 254 20 2757000 or email us at thestanley@sarovahotels.com.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to host you again.

Yours Sincerely,
David Gachuru,
General Manager.

Reviewed November 7, 2010

initial check in was good, but our trip back from mara made us sit in lounge for over an hour where as the desk knew we had left our luggage in holding and were going to return on the appointed time and date. rest every thing was excellent.i will recomend it to my friends.i wanted to advise the reception, please keep RO water machines in hotel and supply asians with enuf water to drink, also a counter near the lifts would be a boon, if it had hot tea/coffee and water. there was this arrangement at nakuru, why not nairobi we wundered. i loved the whole experience, dont get me wrong. since my return iv drunk ltrs of water yet am not rehyderated, hats off to the africans who live without water, i envy them. some day i hope to be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank amrit16sandhu
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We started our family safari with a stay at The Stanley as my husband had talked about the famous Thorn Tree he had seen there 30 years ago. Alas it is gone! It has been replaced by a small sapling and there are bulletin boards surrounding it. Sadly the mystique was gone.

However, the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff were very friendly and the swimming pool was a hit with the children.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We spent 2 days at The Stanley following 9 days on safari in Kenya and Tanzania. What a great location from which to experience Nairobi and the hotel, in our view, retains its classic historical feel. The room was very roomy and comfortable with an excellent bathroom and accessories. We found breakfast to be plentiful with the excellent variety continually refeshed by the attentive staff. The ONLY negative we experienced was in the lounge bar. Just the bar man who let the team down (took "pole pole" to a new level and stuffed up the mojito I was hanging out for) as all the floor staff were quite pleasant. I have to give "a bouquet" to Head of Security, Michael, who handled a missing bag (with money, cards and valuables) most professionally and efficiently (with all goods intact) as well as the staff's commitment to honesty - well done!! It is also the first time (in many many years of travel)when checking out that I have been "interviewed" by an assisant manager who appeared genuinely interested in my comments and the hotel maintaining its standards. Despite the security warnings provided to visitors to Nairobi the efforts of all staff and in particular the front of house team, we always felt secure and comfortable when in and had no adverse experiences whilst walking the streets around the hotel at anytime. I would also recommend the Italian Trattoria around the corner!! There maybe other properties in the city but we had a very pleasant stay in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Staff very rude, unprofessional. I was charged 100$ (on top of the 200$ a day) because a friend stayed 1 hour to help me pack my luggage the night I was leaving. The manager on duty lied about what happened. I will never go back to that hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank DakarWorldtraveler
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the review that you posted on TripAdvisor. We assure you that we take customer feedback very positively and always take action whenever possible. We have noted the contents and are on course with corrective action.

Kindly allow us to highlight a point that could have caused you inconvenience during your stay with us. We note that your last night is the one that was unpleasant. It is our policy to register and charge for extra guests after 2200hrs regardless of the time taken in the room. After this time, any customer in-house is considered as a full night stay guest. This is also within the Kenya Government Laws under whose regulation we operate our business. We trust that this makes the situation clearer and look forward to continued business relationship with you.

We would appreciate if you could kindly give us your contact details so that we may communicate with you directly.

Yours sincerely,

David Gachuru,
General Manager,
Sarova Stanley Hotel.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

The Stanley is an above average hotel with quite a lot of old world charm. Its location in downtown Nairobi though is a negative. The bustle and noise is sometimes too much. Service was excellent and they have a really good Thai restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed here twice for a night, before and after our safari from the UK. First in a Club room and second in a normal room so I can comment on both!

The hotel is right in the heart of the business district in Nairobi on a very busy intersection which can make for interesting viewing out of the window, if a somewhat noisy sleep experience (horns honking at dark o'clock etc). Not much to explore on foot from the hotel and we didn't feel overly comfortable wandering about to be honest.

The hotel itself is lovely and has fantastic photos of times gone by, old colonial images of the hotel when it was a small stop for the railway workers. The Thorn Tree cafe is downstairs and faces the road and is a small outdoor place good for coffee and cake. The tree is tiny so don't expect a grand old tree as I did! The Thai Chi restaurant is next to the atmospheric Exchange Bar on the 2nd floor and both are highly recommended- fabulous authentic Thai cuisine with outstanding service (booking advisible as it was busy enough even on the 2 monday evenings we were there).

The pool deck on the 5th floor is a nice place to chill out for an afternoon. The pool is like a warm bath and was quiet the two times I visited. The gym and spa looked amazing- huge with up to the minute facilities, lots of machines etc. The pool deck bar and restaurant were good too. Beers about 300 Kenya Shillings so about the same for other hotels in Kenya- not any more expensive for it being 5 star. Buffet lunch is available for about £18.

Club rooms were virtually the same as normal rooms- I certainly wouldn't bother with the upgrade if I was paying! Actually preferred the layout of the standard rooms with a mirror and desk/chair (lacking in the club room). There was quite a bit of road noise at night and early in the morning- even from the 5th floor! Club rooms have robes and iron and a writing bureau...

Left our luggage there for a week when on safari with no charge which was good!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple