“First Time In Nairobi”

Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Sydney, Australia
“First Time In Nairobi”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

On my way to Juba to reunite with my husband I had booked four nights at The Stanley Hotel on my own. Unfortunately due to visa issues and the airport fire I needed to keep extending my stay which caused me quite a bit of stress and frustration. However, if one had to be stranded anywhere in Africa I believe this Hotel was the best. The staff were unbelievable with their friendliness, efficiency and kindness. Nothing was ever too much trouble. My room was lovely and immaculate, room service prompt with delicious food and breakfast always superb. I want to make special mention of Mary in reception and Joanne in guest relations, both are a credit to the Hotel in their calm helpful manner when I was stressed to the maximum! The Hotel looks and feels so charming and all staff extremely welcoming at all times. Thankyou Stanley I will return in the near future. Anne Olds ( Australia )

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Oldsiea
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Ms. Olds,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy that your stay with us during the airport fire was calming and the team members surpassed you expectations. We have noted the special mentions of the team members who made your stay more memorable. We are glad the room standards, food, breakfast and the hotel ambiance were superb.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

David Gachuru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I visited the Sarova Stanley, Nairobi in June 2013. The food was great. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Cant remember who the chef was that i was introduced to, but i was amazed at the curries and Indian food that he prepared and he was a local, not an Indian. I had asked the hostess if they had Indian chefs in the kitchen and she said no.I was pleasantly surprised at the food. Even the vegetarian options were delectable and not the usual. The staff are absolutely great, everyone from the butler outside, to the reception staff and the concierge.

I have to say that my room was also really beautiful. will definitely go back :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, August 17, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you and share with you our stories and cuisine made just like home.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I spent ~10 days at the Sarova Stanley in Nairobi. I was extremely satisfied with the location, the food and the amenities that the hotel offered. In particular, the staff were extremely welcoming and always helpful and smiling. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and the rating.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night at the end of our safari, waiting for our connecting flights home.

The hotel was comfortable and the staff were appropriately welcoming.

The hotel just seemed to miss the details that make a great 5* hotel.

Breakfast was great, as was the central location.

There's nothing wrong with this hotel, it just wasn't anything special.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

oakton virginia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Sarova chain of hotels in Kenya is excellent. We had lunch at the Lion's Hill Property at Lake Nakuru and decided to stay in one of their hotels in Nairobi. We needed security as we were two women and two children traveling together. The location, the staff, the rooms, and the food were all excellent. It was in the safe center of Nairobi and everyone was very kind and gracious to all of us. I would recommend this hotel to everyone staying in Nairobi and all of their Sarova hotels around the country are outstanding as well. We had lunch at their Lion's Hill resort and it looks great for a vacation stay as well. Located near Lake Nakuru, a lovely part of Kenya.
Ann and family Washington D.C. June 2013

Room Tip: They had a very nice pool and adjacent restaurant. I felt very safe allowing the girls to go to and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response and for the rating. We look forward to hosting you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

What has happened. The team seem to be demoralized. They are very unhelpful and unwilling. I checked in to our room and three time I had to call housekeeping to clean my room over a five hour period and when it was clean, there was still dead insects on the floor and hair in the bathroom. We were there for 2 days before going to the Masi Mara for a Safari and they were the longest 2 days of my life. This hotel used to have a great name in Nairobi. Never will I recommend this to my friends.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank William C
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback and have noted the areas where we didn't meet your expectation, however, would like to assure you that your experience does not reflect the standards we have set for ourselves. Your comment has been shared with the team to ensure the issues raised are duly addressed.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It's hard to imagine a better place to stay in downtown Nairobi than the Sarova Stanley Hotel. Founded in 1902, it's welcomed Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Hemingway...and me! The staff is beyond helpful (I had to give Dominic a hug when I left). The buffet breakfast is served in the Thorn Tree Room which houses the successor tree to the original, where folks posted messages (it's called the original post office of Nairobi). Today's messages are more like love notes to the hotel! Be sure to wander around the meetings floor to see the historic photos. Just don't ring the bell in the Exchange Bar. Trust me on this one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to hosting you again at our heritage hotel.