1,294 results
All reviewsthorn treethai restaurantexchange barstock exchangehistorical hotelpool deckold world charmclassic hotelfifth floorhealth clubcentral locationhotel stafflate checkbusiness districtdowntown nairobirooms are spaciousbuffet breakfast
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I arrived at Jomo Kenyatta Airport Nairobi at 6am on a Monday morning. So glad that the Sarova Stanley allowed us an early check-in without any additional cost [Bravo Sarova Stanley]. On arrival after our cab driver struggeled through the rush hour Nairobi traffic, we were greeted warmly and led to our huge room.
We had meetings from late morning so a few hours sleep was very welcome. Comfortable bed too.
Thick curtains kept the light and traffic noise out.
Wifi worked on my 'phone but not on my wife's. [It later transpired that for additional 'phones a code was required - but this did not work so we were to await the IT experts the next morning].
That evening we decided to book at the Stanley's Thai Chi restaurant. Whilst dressing up to go the the Thai Chi we found that the plug of the iron which we ordered from house keeping kept falling out of both of the two sockets available. Booking was not difficult. When we entered the restaurant was half full and we were very warmly greeted by the staff all in Thai attire. The ambiance of the restaurant was grand but very dark [difficult to read the menu] As the menu was difficult to read we were told that we would be assisted by a waiter For starters i ordered the Tom yam soup and my wife asked for grilled prawns the waiter showed my wife the item on the mennu which sted freid prawns - but the waiter assured us that they were grilled prawns. My starter was okay, not like a Thai Tom Yam soup, but similar. My wife got s few white balls of something which she found did not taste like prawns at all. She asked the waiter that these were not grilled prawns and she would not have this dish. It took our waiter a long time before he decided to tkae away the dish. By this time I had finidhed my starter. The mains were okay. A more senoir water explained that this was a dish with mashed up prawn with a variety of other ingredients but not grilled prawns. We left the restaurant disappointed.

As soon as we reached the room out sockets were sorted! wonderful.

Next morning still no wifi for my wife's 'phone.

Breakfast was good in the Thron tree cafe. I remembered my teenage days in the mid 60's living in Nairobi and having coffee there and people watching

We attended meetings the following day and that evening we decide to eat in the Thorn tree restaurant. The meal came with a complimentary starter which was such a treat, whilst eating the starter. Ravi the deputy food and beverage manager came to us and inquired about our evening the previous day. I was amazed that he took such an interest in our dissapointment. We explained everything to him and he stated that he woudl be making changes to the menu and also be looking into staff training. I thought that was so good Full marks for customer service. To top it up he waived our dinner bill charges. After this he arranged for us to use the business centre internet as my wife's wifi was not working. Depsite our initial dissapointment, Ravi took so much care and attention to ensure our visit was not marred by this one incident that he must surely be one of the few hotel managers in the world worthy of 6 stars!
All staff were lovely and caring.

We will certainly be back

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear MO53RO55,

Thank you for your detailed review.

We are extremely glad to read about your experience during your last stay with us. We have noted all the points raised for our action.

We look forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel places you in the heart of Nairobi. Everything is in walking distance (shopping, banks, eateries etc). If you love NYC hustle, then this is the place to be. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. One staff in particular, Dominic, was very hospitable and went out of his way to make hotel guests feel welcome. He taught us some of the local dialect and even sent complimentary fruit to the room. We received the local newspaper complimentary each day, and the staff was very attentive to any problems that came up. The breakfast and dinner menus were great as well, especially the buffet. 5 stars to the staff for sure!

1  Thank 1frequentflyer365

Dear 1frequentflyer365,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad our team and customer service exceeded your expectation. Thank you for the special mention of our team member. This mention has been shared to the whole team and has motivated us to continually improve on our customer service. We are also happy, that our dining experience was great.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here for 15 days.
Everyone is helpful or tries to be so.
People are friendly. Staff is accomodating.
Nice decor.
Had needed amenities.
Had wireless.
3 restaurants were well liked by my companions.
Complimentary breakfast was fine.
Only 5 star hotel in Nairobi

3  Thank Harris C
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed in this property for a day during business visit to Nairobi. Although structure is built in 1902, it offers 5 star services.Location wise its very much into city with main city market with FOREX, Taxi stand , medicines everything in 2 minutes walk. Staff is very cordial and overall its a highly recommended place. Swimming pool wasn't as per 5 star but good enough to get in for a dip. Overall its a value for money.

Dear FaisalAhmad,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that our location in Nairobi's central business district was of convenience to your purpose of visit. We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at the Sarova Stanley for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much. The staff are all wonderful and exteremly accommodating, from Irene who was helpful at the management level to Faith who was friendly at the reception desk, and Grace who was accommodating to my special dietary needs in room service. The hotel has a story that goes back to 1902 and has been well kept since then to uphold the colonial architecture and themes. I enjoyed my stay there, it was pleasant and the service was excellent on all levels.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear AnEgyptian,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your rating of the hotel, special mentions of the team members who exceeded your expectation and sharing your experience.

We look forward to hosting you again with more pleasurable memories.

David Gachuru