“Bliss, exactly what we wanted!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Sarova Stanley
Ranked #7 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Bliss, exactly what we wanted!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were dropped off here after safari. We booked it as it looked like a nice hotel with all the comfort we would require and got what we wanted. Nice room, satellite tv, comfy bed. Nice food in the resaurants. Good service throughout and use of pool and spa facilities. Highly reccommend. We didnt leave the hotel as slightly aprehensive about possibility of being mugged but think its location is very good. We were very happy to stay in the hotel anyway due to what it could offer!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Stanley before and after a recent safari trip. The hotel is in an excellent location (right in the heart of things) although when you are using the roof top swimming pool you would never know! All the staff were friendly and polite and ensured that our every need was looked after. The breakfast was excellent and the food in the Thai restaurant was fantastic (cannot recommend this highly enough!) and the rooms were spacious and clean. Overall, this was an excellent hotel and we will stay here again if we return to Kenya.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in three hotels in Nairobi on this last trip and this was our favorite. The downtown location is especially good for shopping and just getting a flavor of Nairobi. The staff is very friendly and the guard on every floor is nice security. Overall we were not impressed with the food in Kenya but the food here was above par. The breakfast buffet was great and the pool side cafe had a nice lunch buffet as well. Room was very spacious and the bed comfortable. We had a late flight and although they made us check out by noon, they allowed us to use the pool and health club facilities until our car picked us up at 8:30. We even had time for a massage which was good and very reasonably priced.

1 Thank lislander
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel is situated in a fantastic location where everything is easily accesible.

The employess were friendly and very helpful. The food at the Thorn Tree restaurant is exceptional whereas the Thai restaurant is simply divine!!!

The concierge staff is very resourceful and assisted me on every enquiry i had.

I strongly recommend this hotel and will definitely visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great stop on your way to the Mara. I loved stayed where 'the thorn tree' actually was. The breakfast is average and the staff are fabulous (especially the concierge and the lovely doorman!). The restaurants are nothing special but I suppose we are spoiled for Thai in Australia.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My son and I stayed in this hotel for a few nights earlier this month. The hotel is warm and welcoming, with exceptional service from the staff. The food is good, the rooms generous in size and the facilities great for a city based hotel. I would recommend this hotel and will definately return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Although the exterior of the Stanley isn't much to look at, the interior is richly beautiful in an old-world style. Original carved woodwork and other touches give the hotel a historic feel but with all the modern amenities. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed on the third floor and used the stairs to come and go, and I was typically greeted by as many as 5 staff people on my way to or from my room. Every staff person I interacted with could speak English well.

My room was very nice, with a desk, a sitting area with the TV, and the bedroom. Channel options were limited--several news channels, some sports channels, and little else. Everything in the room worked fine, and the wi-fi signal was strong, although the speed of the connection was quite slow--good enough for emails, but not fast enough to stream a movie. My "view" was of a building just a few feet away, so I kept my drapes drawn throughout my stay. The bathroom was nicely appointed and included a 115 volt outlet that I used to charge my phone without the need for a special adapter.

The breakfast buffet was an enormous spread of meats and hot side dishes, baked goods, cereals, fresh fruits and juices, and a few African specialities each morning. There was also chef making omelets to order. My only complaint involved the coffee. Kenya produces some of the finest coffees in the world, yet a luxury hotel, such as the Stanley, serves Nescafe. Worse, when your cup is empty, it remains empty, until you flag down and server and ask for a refill.

I had one dinner meal in the hotel, at the Pool Deck Restaurant, which provides open-air dining. The meal and service were very good.

The fitness facilities were compact, but adequate, and the gym also has a sauna and steam room. The pool is on a roof terrace, and it was well maintained and provided some limited seating for relaxing.

The hotel is located in a busy part of downtown, only a few, walkable blocks to the Kenyatta International Conference Center. However, because of the location, the hotel does require that you pass through a metal detector, and hotel staff give a quick look in any bags you carry in to the lobby. After a few trips in and out, the staff recognized me and gave me a very cursory "inspection."

I needed to use the Business Center while at the hotel, to print out handouts for a presentation (the airline temporarily lost the bag containing the copies I brought with me). The staff person printed 75 copies without previewing them, and the edges of my document were cut off. When I complained, she offered to print 50 more properly sized to fit on the page, at half price, which I accepted at the time. After some thought, I went down to the desk and said I'd be happy to pay full price for the 50 correctly printed copies, but didn't see the point in paying anything for the unusable 75 copies. When I checked out, the entire print order had been comped, which was a generous resolution on the part of the Stanley.

For future trips to Nairobi, I will definitely come back to the Stanley.

Room Tip: I would request a room that does not face the street. There are several bars, casinos, and other bus...