“A dream come true”
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
Ranked #1 of 236 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed at giraffe manor half way through our honeymoon in Kenya and Zanzibar last autumn. I had always wanted to stay there, given that giraffes are my favourite animals, and we decided if we weren't going to splurge on our honeymoon, when would we?

It certainly wasn't a cheap indulgence but I would say it was well worth it. We stayed in the Karen Blixen suite, which is on the ground floor, next to the kitchens. The very large room is decorated with furniture which used to belong to Karen Blixen, which I found extremely exciting even though it meant nothing to my husband. It was very comfortable, with a great big fireplace and a sitting area where we could play cards.

At lunch we were greeted with a friendly giraffe sticking her head through the window, and we got to feed her till she got bored with us and ran away (at which point the warthogs gathered to feast on the left overs). We then took a tour through the giraffe centre, with our very own guide who introduced us to Jock, the resident male giraffe (huge feet!)

That evening we met the other guests, a group of very friendly American ladies, and all went into the dining room together to sit down to a very tasty and elaborate three course dinner. Although some might not like the 'hosted' experience, my husband and I had a great time.

The next morning we were woken with hot drinks so that we could go and feed the giraffes over breakfast (the earlier you get up the hungrier they are.

Overall it was a wonderful experience and I couldn't recommend it more. A complete dream come true.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Principessaleah

Reviewed January 17, 2009

Giraffe Manor is a one of a kind place and if you are an animal lover and happen to be in the Nairobi area it is not to be missed. My wife and I recently returned from our second stay at G.M. and had another magical experience.
Fresh off a fantastic stay in the Masai Mara, we were met by Julius (resident driver) who informed us that the Manor was welcoming a new arrival. We thought it would be great to see a little Giraffe but we were not expecting to hear that the latest family member was less than 24hrs old (they also had another baby of two weeks and were expecting two more any day).
The Manor was as beautiful as we remembered and after greeting the Giraffes with kisses we were shown to our room on the second floor. This is an old home and not a 6 star resort, so you will need to align your expectations. That being said, the rooms are very comfortable and certainly do not detract one bit from the stay.
Besides the Giraffes there are a few other constants at the Manor that make it a very special place. The communal dining is a lovely experience, the food was terrific and the new hosts, Rudy & Mary Anne, go out of their way to make sure everyone feels welcome. Breakfast was, as always, unforgettable.
Here are a few tips: (1) Try to get a room on the second floor....nothing beats a morning welcome from Kelly or Lynn right in the window, (2) Plan to make a post-breakfast visit to the Animal Orphanage followed by a visit to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage (open to the public between 11-12 each day), both are only a few minutes away, (3) Ask for some lunch recommendations, the Manor is in a beautiful area and there are many little shops and cafes nearby.
A trip to Giraffe Manor is an experience that will never be forgotten and remember, Giraffe spit is good for you!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank alfalfa_male
Reviewed January 13, 2009

The best two days one could wish for where you really interact with the giraffes and is a real one of a kind experience in the world.While previous comments I read were neutral on the accommadation yes it is a bit tired but one should think of it as a 5 star bed and breakfast with adequate meals but fantastic hosts and we had no complaints and would love to re visit .Other activities near by and would only conclude this will be a highlight of anyones trip to Africa

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ald59
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I recently spent my last 2 nights of a 5 week african trip at Giraffe Manor. What a fantastic time we had- our hosts Marianne and Rudy were wonderful, and the staff there are expert mind readers! They always seemed to produce whatever drink or meal you felt like without having to ask!

The manor has a lovely welcoming feel to it, and how bizarre to have giraffes and warthogs wander around your accomodation! The giraffes are not only there for tourists to feed, there is a breeding program which releases endangered Rotheschilde giraffes back into the wild. During our stay 2 of the giraffes (Joan and Barney) were ready for capture and release, and were relocated to a national park . We felt priveleged to have fed these giraffes just before they went and joined a wild herd to live free. So by staying at the Giraffe Manor- you not only have a wonderful time, you are also contributing to this breeding program.

I would recommend this experience to anyone, and it was the perfect end to an african adventure. I will definately stay here again next time I'm in Nairobi.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank catwo
Reviewed November 1, 2008

My Husband and I and my Sister and her husband stayed at Giraffe Manor Sept. 22 for one night. And What a night it was!
This is a once in a lifetime, at least, stay. Our hosts, MaryAnne and Rudy and their wonderfuly staff made our stay a Dream.
Who can say that they ate breakfast and lunch with Giraffes? What a treat that was, not the least to say the food was excellent as well.
We fed Giraffes and Kissed them too. Then we took a nature walk to see the "Stud" Jock, the old male living in the woods. The staff also took us on a tour of local galleries and shops, my favorite being Kazuri, a ceramic jewellery shop. This was very enjoyable.
We had a fabulous dinner by candlelight with the group of 8, then afterdinner drinks by the massive fireplace. Rudy and Maryanne are great storytellers!
This place is magical, and a must stay when in Nairobi. Thank you for such a wonderful and insightful stay!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank holoholo_girl
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Unsurpassed hospitaility! We only stayed one night but felt as welcome as an old friend. Staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enought for us. A wonderful start to our holiday in Kenya!

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank thegingerone1
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I spent 6 months planning our own trip to Southern Africa and it was beyond my wildest dreams. Staying 3 nights at Giraffe Manor (if you can get it) would be perfect. Marianne & Rudy are the manor's hosts and are wonderful. We were only able to stay 2 nights as the 3rd night b/c available a week before our departure from the US. Of course you go to be close to giraffes. It's a wonderful place to relax and eat wonderful food. The breakfasts and lunches are in a lovely room where the giraffes come to visit and stick their heads in to be fed. DInners are superb and elegant (dress is casual). You have a driver at your disposal which the day before we paid $100.00 for an all day guide. Warthogs are all around like dogs, though they get close to you are not tame. Go to the elephant orphanage and if you spend $50.00/year to sponsor one you can go back in the late afternoon to put them to bed (it was great)!

The rooms could use upgrading but they are nice enough and the rest of the experience is so special the rooms don't matter (and they usually are important to me).

Go and enjoy a place like there is no other.
Linda Schneider