“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 183 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I can only echo all the other reviews. What a fantastic place. The staff were very eager to please and always wanting to do more. It was great fun to eat breakfast and afternoon tea with the giraffes and warthogs. Our room was lovely, although it would have been great if the shower had a little stronger water pressure. They even took us back to the airport even though our flight left at the ungodly hour of 3:30am.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Staying at Giraffe Manor had been at the top of my "bucket list" for nearly 30 years. It was everything we expected and more. Worth every penny.
From the moment you are picked up from the airport or hotel to the sad tear jerking moment you leave you are treated like royalty by the friendly staff. Lynette and Tony make sure everything is just as you wish and cannot do enough for you. They will have you driven anywhere you like, set up dinner anywhere that takes your fancy, light the fire in your room, do your laundry, see that you are fed to bursting. Kudos to the chef.
And best of all, the entire staff will make sure you are able to see, feed, pet and interact with the giraffes.These are wild animals but so gentle. Even the warthogs that literally try to climb in the breakfast room windows are fun.
I have traveled many lovely high end places in my 71 years and never experienced such a willing, attentive, friendly staff. They make sure the manor and property is never crowded so it seems like your own little bit of Downton Abbey in Kenya.
While we were there a couple of families with children were there and the staff made sure they had lots to do. What a fabulous experience for your children or grandchildren to remember forever.
4 of us traveled together and cannot imagine not coming back!

Room Tip: Upstairs front facing rooms will get giraffes begging to be fed in the morning but the same giraffe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beth B
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed here for a night at the outset of a three week safari vacation. What a great "in your face" introduction to Africa and giraffes. A trip to the Giraffe Centre next door, a short hike, and a tour around Karen (including the Blixen house), were all part of our stay at the Manor. Our safari guides were always surprised about how much we knew about giraffes!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bramble5
Rocky River, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We did not stay at the manor,however we did visit the grounds to pet the giraffes and to feed them. What an experience. I would like to stay here next time! The place was very clean, and one could tell the animals were well taken care of and loved.

Room Tip: I always ask for corner rooms with view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wanda B
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

There's no much to add to previous reviews. Though a bit expensive but this place is 200% worth for money. Feeling giraffees so closely makes you feel real wild and special. Some people says if you cannot afford Giraffee Manor you can see the same at Giraffee centre but on my opinion they are preatty different. Being on the deck at Giraffee centre you are their guest, stayin at Giraffee Manor you are becoming a part of their world. It's unforgettable feeling.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Natalya P
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Giraffe Manor is the best I've been to in Kenya. It feels that you have been invited by a family to come over for a weekend visit. Don't expect a front desk, I've been met by the friendly Manor's manager, Tony from the car with a staff to help me with my luggage. Tony personally brief me with a bit of the history of the place, move around to see the amenities and informed on the house rules.

We booked a few hours before we came and took the only available room. It was a big family room on the new wing with 3 extra beds and a fireplace of our own, The main sitting area's fireplace will be lit before the dinner giving the guests time to socialized while the staff will help you get whatever drinks available in the open bar. At the same time, you can feed the giraffe while few warthogs are roaming around freely eating what the giraffes lefty hem to eat. You can feed the giraffes with your mouth! You'll then be guided to the main dining area where you will all be served and eat together giving you more chance to know the rest of the guest. And I must say, there are if not all interesting people you'll meet. After dinner, guests will then be asked to move back to the sitting area where you can all continue getting to know each other over tea, coffee and drinks. I've spoken and got to know few nice and funny Americans and British couples. The staff and Tony will be there till you get yourself drunk to assist and talk to you. We'll, we didn't want to torture them...we were kind enough to go back to our room early. It was an open bar, so I was tipsy even before dinner.

Breakfast is an experience that makes it all worth it...breakfast with giraffes and warthogs too. We opened our room door and right in front of us is a young giraffe waiting. It the best morning greeting. The friendly General Manager came over breakfast to say hi and talked to us to see how we are.

The main building is built in 1932 and the interior is fantastic, I was half expecting Karen Blixen to appear and greet us. It feels like "Out of Africa" set-up considering I watched the movie three days before we visited. The staff are very friendly and helpful and will let you feel at home.

We only stayed overnight and don't know the price since it was a treat I was given. I'd say one must experience this place if you ever come to Kenya even just an overnight

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank J P
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Giraffes are my favorite animal and you can't find an experience like this anywhere else.Recently, I was asked where my best customer service experience was, I told them hands down it was at the Giraffe Manor in Nairobi Kenya. However, I think what truly astounds me is how genuine the staff are in making you feel at home, they truly go above and beyond.

I have been so lucky to stay at the giraffe manor not only twice, but twice in 3 months. The first time I was by myself and the staff made me promise to bring back my husband. I kept that promise and brought him back with me in May for a final trip together while we lived in East Africa.The staff were so warm to us, remembering me from my prior trip and welcoming my husband. They expressed to us we had become like family to them. We felt they had become family to us as well and we know we will be back many many times.

The staff went out of their way during our 4 night stay to make sure we felt at home. So much so that when the bed the first night was not suitable for my husbands back they let us move rooms with no issue, to something that was more comfortable for him. I enjoyed this as it allowed me to experience another room. The first room we had was Joc's room, I had this room before in February. The second room we had I believe was Lin's room. It was beautifully appointed, the bathroom was like a spa!

One the best things is on both trips we have made some great friends from the experience, that we continue to keep in contact with!

We tell everyone about the Giraffe Manor. We can't wait for our next visit! Hopefully see you soon!

Kristin and Dan

Room Tip: You can't go wrong! Every room is beautiful. Some have better access for feeding the giraffes.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple