Giraffe Manor
$157
$101
$78
Priceline
All reviewsonce in a lifetimebucket listbedroom windowrothschild giraffesbreakfast roomgiraffe experiencegiraffe feedinghigh teakaren blixen suitestick their headsother guestsbeautiful animalstonguefood pelletsdaisy roomfront lawngiraffe centre
Reviewed April 22, 2013

How fun was this! While you can get a touch of visiting these creatures at the sanctuary next door, this gives you a once in a lifetime experience of getting to know the animals better and their different personalities.

The hotel itself was lovely. It was the first hotel I have ever stayed at where no 'key' is given. It is a small, exclusive space, so I can't imagine security being a problem. The hot water bottles in the bed are lovely, and somehow I didn't tire of 'everything giraffe' when it comes to decor.

The service was very attentive. I was amazed at how many photos they took of us with our camera over the 'breakfast'.... I must have had close to 50!

My advice - book in advance - of our whole trip in Kenya / Rwanda this was difficult to book as it is under demand.

Room Tip: Main manor faces the main area of giraffes.... if you want a massage, book in advance.
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Service_Sommelier
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Giraffe Manor! I stayed one night in February as a single before meeting up on Safari the next day with family in the Masai Mara. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant or service friendly. This is true customer service!

From the momement I arrived there was a driver waiting at the airport, he was very pleasant and we discussed much about East Africa. When I arrived I was greated with a cool towel which was nice as it was warm that afternoon and a refreshment while they showed me the grounds. The Staff were always asking if there is anything I wanted, if I needed help getting anywhere. They gave me a private guided nature walk in the property across from the Giraffe Sancturay.

Giraffes are my favorite animal and when I knew I was moving to East Africa and heard about this place I knew I had to visit. The other people during my stay were fantastic, they welcomed me into their conversations discussing Africa, their trips, where they are from etc.

The food is amazing! Some of the best meals I have had in my 2 years in East Africa.

The only improvement I could see is the room, Jock, I stayed in had a very springy bed. I slept fine but it was not the most comfortable. However, the room was very beautiful, as was the bathroom. I didn't expect such a large room.

I can't wait to come back in May with my husband for 4 days, 3 nights to share the experience with him!

Room Tip: Jock was a fantastic room, very spacious, two full size beds. There is a fire place in the room as well. The attached bathroom is very large as well with a seperate tub and shower. You can feed Giraffes from this room. I peaked in other rooms that were unoccupied and while some were smaller than Jock they were all nicely appointed.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kristin J
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We arrived at the house around 10pm, but the staff all greeted us at the door, made us cocktails, and even served us a meal since we'd just finished an 8 hour flight. My brother and I stayed in the Jock room and it was hands down the greatest place I have ever laid my head. I had a wake up call (coffee room service) before sunrise and I went downstairs to wait for the giraffes to come up to the house and to catch sunrise. Eddie (one of the staff, also the name of a younger giraffe) stood outside with me and told me so much about the property and the animals (giraffes, warthogs and Luca the dog). Lynn was the first giraffe to come out of the bush and she went straight to our bedroom window and nudged/licked it until my brother heard and brought food pellets over to feed her. She moved down to Betty's room (our parents stayed there) and as the other giraffes made their way to the house we feed them from the balcony for 40 minutes. The next morning we had an early flight, but before the sun was even up Lynn was at our window to say goodbye (and get a lot of food).
I read so many of these reviews before our trip and somehow Giraffe Manor still managed to exceed my expectations. The house staff were all so much fun to get to know and helped immensely with learning how to interact with the giraffes (though I did still manage to make Kelly upset enough to head butt me and almost knock me over). The human food was VERY good, the giraffe food was pretty dry (I tried one piece).
Even if you just go for the day I think it is a MUST DO in Nairobi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TheIowaCullen
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I came here for lunch - once in a blue moon they allow non-guests to come for lunch or dinner. We have been trying to squirrel a table here since before we moved to Nairobi late last year. It finally came through - hurray! and was such an amazing experience.

The house is simply stunning. It's an old manor house from the colonial era that is covered with ivy and just gorgeously appointed and incredibly well tended to. Our lunch was simply divine, the food was excellent and service wonderful. What made it so spectacular however, was the lovely staff and the very friendly giraffes. One of the giraffes came up to us after lunch to say hi. I never thought in my life I would be so close to one of these majestic creatures. What a magical, divine place! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KatGD
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the manor for 2 nights in Feb 2013. This was the second time (2010 first trip) and we wanted to return with friends before safari. You want to have at least a full day there just to soak up the charm and elegance of the manor. Staff and management are fully engaged.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends