“Value for money oasis in the heart of Nairobi”
Review of Fairview Hotel

Fairview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I booked the Fairview based on reviews here on Tripadvisor, and I wasn't disappointed. A lush, safe, friendly oasis in the middle of Nairobi.

Booking can be a minor hassle as they don't seem to be linked up to any of the international online booking systems, however a quick phone call told me there were rooms available on the date I wanted and an e-mail confirmed my reservation. The hotel is just northwest of downtown Nairobi but is a quick and cheap taxi ride away from both there and Upper Hill, Westlands, etc.

Reception was friendly and welcoming after a long flight, and the room was pleasantly decorated and clean. The bathroom fittings and tiling were perhaps a little aged, and I was slightly concerned to be on the ground floor given that the windows appeared to open, but security on the site appears to be good. Wireless internet access was available in the room and surprisingly speedy.

I had dinner in the poolside restaurant which was pleasant, and breakfast in the morning was a western-style buffet. The hotel has private gardens and pathways running between the various hotel blocks, this provides a peaceful oasis away from the crazy chaos that is Nairobi.

Compared to what you can pay to stay at the Hilton or the Intercontinental (an outrageous amount for not very much), the Fairview is excellent value for money for the service, location and setting of the hotel, and is my first choice of hotel when visiting Nairobi.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LandyLover
There are newer reviews for Fairview Hotel

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed there with my wife during our wedding night and the night after. We then went down to Mombasa for our honeymoon. The keycard was buggy and several times wouldn't allow us in but we didn't find this a big deal. There was also no ramp or lift to the reception area making it inconveniencing for people with luggage (everyone), wheelchairs, and prams. However, the hotel is so quiet and green despite being near the downtown. The prices are very reasonable for what you get and the breakfast is to die for. Absolutely worth it. FYI, I'm a local, not a foreigner.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sungura2005
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We began our 10 day safari with a two night stay at the Fairview Hotel. The room was clean and sufficient for our needs. The staff was helpful and polite. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the food was very good. It was our first time in Kenya and we immediately felt safe and relaxed at the Fairview. We would definitely stay there again and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling in Nairobi.

1  Thank turpski
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Best hotel in Nairobi for a leisure traveler. Intercon is too central and Norfolk is too stuffy. Not a budget or a boutique hotel - those two categories don't apply here.

If you're going to use Internet at all, get the first class rooms as Internet is free with them. WiFi is free for everybody I believe.

1  Thank adamnelson
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Thank you very much for you feedback.
Just to clarify regarding the internet comment: All rooms enjoy free wifi (10MB connection). The “First Class” Rooms also enjoy free use of computers (and internet access) in the First Class Lounge.

Daniel
Director
Fairview Hotel

Reviewed November 21, 2009

I really enjoyed staying here in October - the food was fantastic, the staff very friendly, and the room comfortable. The security was excellent which was comforting after the scary stories I have heard about Nairobi.

Make sure you get a first class room so you can use the Panga Lounge. 3 weeks in Nairobi on my own for work - hanging out in the Panga Lounge made it ok.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank peregrineNC
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Believe the hype - this is the best hotel in Nairobi. It really didn't feel like Nairobi - very peaceful which is just what you want when in Nairobi. The staff are very professional, friendly and helpful. I'd definitley stay here again. Breakfast was amazing!

ps - we stayed one night earlier in our trip at the Kenya Comfort Inn which was cheaper but Fairview is definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it!

1  Thank London_GT
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I spent one night here before going back to Europe. They upgraded me to a better room, but I did not have the impression that the original room would have been any worse, only a little bit smaller.
The hotel held a high standard, the staff was friendly and helpful and the surroundings were great. Breakfast was varied and good, the sushi bar and the garden cafe were of a high standard.
This is not a cheap hotel for my standard, I like to stay "economy class" and actually I pay about the same for hotels back home in Norway, but for a quality hotel in Nairobi the price was not bad, and I am sure this hotel beats or at least equals the more expensive ones.
I hope to be back at this hotel sometime in the future! It gave me a feeling of luxury for an affordable price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo