New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Like an oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Nairobi is chaotic, crowded and can be slightly unnerving. Fairview is like an oasis in the desert. Once you pass through the 'friendly checkpoint' and into the hotel you can relax..

The rooms are clean and decent size. The staff are attentive, friendly and try to exceed your expectation at every opportunity. The food is excellent and you have plenty of choice from the different restaurants on the grounds.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MyNameIsThor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Fairview is my preferred Hotel in Nairobi if I don't have a particular suburb I need to be close to. This time wasn't as good an experience as usual.

My room was not a particularly good one, very noisy. Above the bar, beside reception, first room down a long hall. With a single overnight stay, a 4 am rise to catch an early flight out of Nairobi, I really wanted a quiet room and didn't get one. In addiiton to the guest noise outside, there was some form of machinery (air conditioner? cool room?) that run for much of the night. So, without airconditioning in my room, i had the choice between sweltering with the windows closed, or more noisy with the windows open.

Also worth noting that apparently Fairview aren't doing airport transfers anymore for pick-up. I emailed asking for one and didn't get a response. (Which is annoying when you get to the airport and spend 15 minutes wandering around trying to check if there is somebody with your name on a sign!). Checked on their website later, to discover a note saying to use the yellow taxi people.

Will I continue to use Fairview: Yes.
Will I be more particularly in requesting my room next time: Yes.

Signed:

Grumpy and Tired.

Room Tip: This was room 28. Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend this room at all.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank fallinandfilmin
Telford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here recently before flying out to the Masai Mara for a safari . The hotel was beutiful , clean , excellent choice of resteraunts serving different types of cuisine and a beautiful buffet style breakfast catering for all sorts of tastes. The rooms were comfortable with air-con and wi-fi , outside is a beutiful pool area and ornamental pool and gardens . Overall a great play to stay and one I would reccomend. Anyone concerned about current troubles in Kenya have no fear about the security of this hotel it is first class and right opposite some government buildings which has 24hr armed guards

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here last October whilst on 4 week trip through Africa. It was only a couple of weeks after the bombing but glad Enchanting Africa chose this place as it was very safe. It is opposite the Israeli Embassy and has high security gates and also scanners so felt very safe. Food was good, rooms lovely and the building itself is fantastic. Great pool although it was a little cool at this time of year for swimming in. The grounds are gorgeous with lots of greenery and little places to get away from it all. Open fire places in the lounges make these areas warm and inviting. Our room was in the main building but away from the restaurant and pool area and was lovely and big and quite. (above the business centre) Would highly recommend this hotel to stay at.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. Old world charm and we felt very safe, you go through security to get in and since it is next to the Israeli embassy it is very safe. The breakfast was buffet and a wide choice. Dinner beside the pool was atreat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I would highly recommend this hotel as a jumping off point for travel in Kenya. The rooms are clean and spacious. The location is safe and secure. The grounds are a lovely oasis in the middle of a big (sometimes intimidating) city. Most of all the customer service is superb.

I ended up getting quite sick while traveling in northern Kenya. I returned to Nairobi to see a doctor and was admitted to the hospital. My mother was staying at the hotel and they couldn't have been more helpful or accommodating. They even sent me flowers in the hospital! This is a wonderful place and you cannot go wrong with staying here. Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had to make sure the Fairview got the same treatment as their amazing sister hotel, Country Lodge, so I'm posting my comments on their page as well (see below). The ONLY reason they got "Very Good" and not "Excellent" is because I didn't stay in their rooms so can't personally attest to the quality. But everything else (dining, event facilities, gift shop, etc.) was simply amazing.

In addition to the comments below about the property, in general, I also want mention that that the Fairview brilliantly handled one special event for 35 people, and a packed lunch for nine during my business meeting/retreat.

Absolutely divine, and a totally serene atmosphere. This property is were you want to come home to after a crazy day.

Complete Review:
This is my first post ever but this is how much I loved this The Country Lodge (soon to be the Town Lodge) and her staff. The facilities are more than just clean and fresh, they are serene. And the entire property (only a courtyard away is their sister hotel, The Fairview, which is equally amazing at a slightly higher price point - but worth it!) has everything (literally) you would ever need while staying in Nairobi for business or pleasure.

I actually came here for work where I held a business six day retreat/meeting and both hotels handled a majority of my needs including a welcome dinner buffet for 35 people at the Fairveiw.

Country Lodge has an amazing breakfast, great (consistent!) wifi, tea/juice every afternoon at 5pm, is totally safe and secure, and a staff that remembers your name and needs. I left on a safari for a few days and they even held my bags for me (available only if you are retuning for at least one night upon returning to the City). And they have the BEST showers with serious hot water!

There are no air conditioners and at first I panicked because I HATE being hot, but my concern was complete overkill. There are ceiling fans in each room which provided more cool air than I've ever needed (but I did stay during the winter - July).

I could go on, but no need. Unless something absolutely crazy happens in the future this is where I (and/or my team) will stay whenever in Nairobi.

Room Tip: I didn't stay at the Fairview (I stayed at their sister hotel, The Country Lodge, in the adjoini...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business